Do you give gifts from your dc?

(10 Posts)
Emptywishingwell Tue 16-Aug-16 21:34:44

Just thinking about gift giving etiquette and wondered do you give gifts from your dc and if so who do buy for?

My dc usually give each other presents and I buy a small gift from both of them to give to their grandparents and aunts/uncles (who are a mix of under 18s and adults) from them but I was wondering is it usual to buy on behalf of dc for aunts/uncles?

I ask as I have previous fell into the trap of buying from us all for the whole extended family which got ridiculous as there were too many and it was expensive. So I've cut right down to just buying for parents, siblings and grandparents but wasn't sure who it was normal to buy for or who would normally buy for you.

attheendoftheday Tue 16-Aug-16 23:32:10

In our family the dc buy a present for each other which they will have some involvement in choosing. They then get a photo calendar for dm and dmil (and occasionally pieces of craft or pictures they have done themselves. Everyone else gets a present from the family.

FuzzyOwl Tue 16-Aug-16 23:36:22

We buy a present for DD to give to grandparents, cousins, and uncles/aunts but they are generally just token presents and replace something that usually would have been given from us, rather than being an extra present iyswim.

disneymum3 Wed 17-Aug-16 22:48:03

Only to each other. Everyone else's gift are given to them from us as a family.

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Thu 18-Aug-16 07:35:23

Usually include a small craft item to our parents from DS but it's part of their total gift and not labelled separately. No way for extended family

PeggyMitchell123 Thu 18-Aug-16 07:38:43

Only to his grandparents, aunt and uncle everyone else, the presents are from everyone. It would be too much otherwise

AlwaysNeverOnTime Thu 18-Aug-16 08:39:30

Only to DH. I take them into a shop near Christmas and just let them choose whatever they think DH would like. They are only 3 and nearly 5 so have chosen some interesting things in the past. grin

soundsystem Fri 19-Aug-16 19:44:06

We buy something for DD to give to her Auntie and Gran on me side, but it's a token thing, like a "best Auntie" chocolate bar or something like that. The other side of the family don't get anything because they've said they think it's ridiculous (bit rude but fair dos!). It's fair to say one side of the family are a LOT more into Christmas than the other, though!

AnnaMarlowe Fri 19-Aug-16 19:47:10

The DC but for each other - an excercise involving much hilarity and sneaking round Hamley's trying to spy on each other.

They give a token to their Grandparents usually a framed photo or crafty thing of sentimental value only.

Balletgirlmum Sun 21-Aug-16 10:58:21

Only if they request it. For example last year I took Ds To a Christmas market whilst we were waiting to go to dds Carol service. He spotted a Lego superhero keyring with one of dds favourite characters on & also a novelty chocolate tap (my dad is a plumber) so we bought them from him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now