Best cookery book

(15 Posts)
HoggleHoggle Tue 09-Aug-16 19:39:18

Would love recommendations for your most loved Christmas cookery books. Am v tempted by Nigella's but that's because I usually default to her.

I don't need it for anything specific and don't even cook the lunch but generally would love to have a go to book for inspiration!

boatgirl81 Tue 09-Aug-16 19:46:46

Nigella Christmas is one of my fav's actually, it is a lovely book with beautiful recipes and pictures. I usually do her glazed ham on Christmas Eve.

Other good ones are the Mary Berry Christmas one and the W.I complete Christmas.

HoggleHoggle Tue 09-Aug-16 21:46:05

Thanks! WI sounds v interesting, I would never have thought of that. I love Mary Berry but for some reason don't have many successful results with her recipes.

Laska5772 Tue 09-Aug-16 21:54:19

Delia Smith's Christmas.. ( the original version is dead cheap here !!

Or you can get the update version here

(I only have the old one...its great , )

wowfudge Tue 09-Aug-16 22:39:27

Delia and Nigella have it covered I think.

Jessica78 Tue 09-Aug-16 23:17:32

Delia is the most useful

HoggleHoggle Wed 10-Aug-16 06:47:31

Great thank you. Amazon have good condition used copies for really cheap so I think I'll give both a try.

Rowboat Thu 11-Aug-16 08:35:30

I would second Mary Berry. I know you said you haven't had much luck but it's a lovely book with some common sense timings. I've already been perving over it. smile
I also ot the hairy bikers 12 days of Christmas a few years ago and have done a few successful and delicious things out of it. It's probably pretty cheap now

RosaBee Thu 11-Aug-16 08:55:25

Nigella! But also noticed on Amazon Jamie is doing a Christmas book coming out in October I think which could be worth a look.

NarcyCow Thu 11-Aug-16 09:40:26

Nigella is lovely. I haven't been able to bring myself to buy either Delia or Mary Berry - common sense isn't what I'm looking for from a christmas cookbook! I'm interested in the Jamie one, but his writing does my head in so I'm not sure it would work for me.

HoggleHoggle Thu 11-Aug-16 11:58:50

Thanks for more suggestions! I have ordered Delia and Nigella. If I can find a shop with the Mary Berry one in I will flick through that too. I don't have any Jamie books! Don't mind him but his food isn't for me for some reason.

wheatchief Thu 11-Aug-16 13:18:38

Good choices! We have both Nigella and Delia and love them both. Only problem is I can never remember whose Christmas cake recipe I like.

daisydalrymple Thu 11-Aug-16 22:38:40

I absolutely love both the delia and nigella ones, which I see you've ordered. I love flicking through in the run up to Christmas!

I would also recommend the hairy bikers if you can get a decent second hand one again! Very festive and practical. I do like MB, but really didn't like her Christmas book and actually sent it back to Amazon!

MrsDilligaf Sat 13-Aug-16 10:28:16

I am a sucker for a christmas cookbook. The Book People generally come into our offices every couple of months and I find myself adding yet more bloody books to my collection.

My holy trinity are Queen Delia, Nigella and Mary "mother of all things wonderful" Berry.

RuggerHug Mon 15-Aug-16 19:59:29

Thank you for starting this as I was just going to start a thread asking opinions between nigella and deliasmile
wheat this might sound silly but I remember similar with an auntie I think. When you make one this year, write it down on paper and put it with the cake. When you have it and figure out which one it is, put another sheet in the book with the recipe so when you look at them next year you know straight away which one it was!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now