Buying stockings, a stupid question

(16 Posts)
ComeLuckyApril Wed 03-Aug-16 08:46:35

It will be my daughter's first Christmas and I'd like to buy her a stocking. So far so good. But it occurs to me if I have more children later, they will also need one. What do people do? I see lovely ones on etsy all different looking. I'd want them to match and importantly be the same size. Are you meant to buy them all in advance and hope? How would that work with personalised ones?

Grumpyoldblonde Wed 03-Aug-16 09:07:37

For my daughters first Christmas I got a 'baby's 1st Christmas' stocking, these are always available if you have future children or of course you can reuse the original. I wouldn't worry too much about matching them tbh. The best advice ever though is for when children are that bit older, buy 2 of the same stocking, one is for the child to put out for Santa, the other is pre-filled and hidden in your wardrobe, then you simply switch them over when you go to bed, saves a lot of sneaking around and fretting, leaving you free to relax with a glass off fizz!

Notsure1234 Wed 03-Aug-16 15:30:55

I have this exact same problem. Last year I got a lovely one from matalan as ds was born to close to Xmas to get a personalised one. This year I really want to get his proper stocking with his name on but I can't because I hope dc2 will make an appearance at some point in the future and I want them to match. I think I'll end up using the one I have for the next two Christmases as ds won't remember anyway and then I'll hopefully know if I'll be having another baby by then.

Lunar1 Thu 04-Aug-16 19:21:49

I got my two the personalised Disney sacks. Not identical but they match really well and are lovely quality.

mypropertea Thu 04-Aug-16 19:25:09

I got 2, said one was for the cat...2
Weeks later I was pregnant!

mypropertea Thu 04-Aug-16 19:26:15

P.s. We weren't trying, I just thought I may have DC2 in a couple of years.

LittleReindeerwithcloggson Thu 04-Aug-16 22:00:43

Buy some you really like with a space to personalise. Find a local seamstress/shop to embroider the name on separately. That way you can keep all kids the same but don't have to get them personalised now

SideOrderofChip Thu 04-Aug-16 22:01:30

I finally bought my three matching stockings this year

weeblueberry Thu 04-Aug-16 22:28:16

I got my first DD a traditional knitted one then got my second daughter a similar one with a different style. So they look the same but aren't identical (I'd end up buggering it up after too many Christmas Eve gins and they'd get the wrong stuff....).

ComeLuckyApril Sat 06-Aug-16 09:31:17

Forgot I started this! Great advice, I like the idea of getting a baby's first one and then procrastinating! And that I can change therm later smile prefilling and switching is genius!

JasperDamerel Sat 06-Aug-16 09:37:25

They are very easy to make yourself.

MagentaRose72 Wed 10-Aug-16 00:14:15

Here's a way of having a uniform size and shape: These stockings can be sewn yourself or you can pay extra to have them sewn and they sell at www.sproutpatterns.com

Rowboat Thu 11-Aug-16 08:01:38

Dd is 5 and is on her 3rd official stocking. She had a little one as a baby, then when ds came along I got them matching ones. Last year I replaced with bigger and better ones. It works fine.

mumbathing Thu 11-Aug-16 10:37:20

My sister has made all of ours. She gives them as first Christmas presents (although they are given on Xmas eve for me to fill)
Do you have anyone really crafty in your family who can do the same?

wornoutboots Fri 12-Aug-16 13:34:53

we used to use my dad's rugby socks.
then my mother made us some.
I still have the ones she made, but as I have 3 kids it's not practical to use them.
My kids don't believe in santa anyway.

anotherdayanothersquabble Fri 12-Aug-16 13:49:21

I bought two for my children when DD was a few months old. DS had a baby's first one the year before. But actually, I bought three and hid one as I thought we would have three children and I wanted the stockings to match. DS arrived two and a half years later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now