Christmas markets

(17 Posts)
HeyManIJustWantSomeMuesli Fri 15-Jul-16 08:56:48

I'm hoping a have a little break to a Christmas market this year, where are the best ones? I've done Lincoln, which was nice but crazy busy; the one-way system round the stalls wasn't exactly fun! And Bath, which was all twinkly and lovely.

I'm not all that worried about buying gifts there, I hope to have the bulk of that done anyway so stalls with nice food, decorations and some little gifty bits is good. I really want to go. soak up the Christmassy atmosphere and buy bits and pieces that catch my eye. Any recommendations please?

BenguinsMummy Fri 15-Jul-16 11:05:58

Birmingham is quite a nice one, Ive been for the last few years and find the atmosphere magical, there's also great places to eat and accommodation isn't too bad and quite local, I'd recommend taking in the atmosphere while enjoying a bratwurst smile

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Fri 15-Jul-16 11:47:00

Winchester is lovely, it's next to the cathedral with an ice rink in the middle, very atmospheric especially after dark, which is the best time to go anyway as the crowds die down.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 15-Jul-16 15:11:35

Could you cast your net wider and go to Belgium or Germany?
There are some Christmas Market threads on here from years gone by but I'm sure they don't alter that much fsmile

I always hanker after the idea of a proper Christmas Market and I've been to the South Bank and Winter Wonderland which have some stalls but not a full market.

But, what puts me off (apart from the crowds) is the stalls are all a bit samey.
Sweets, beer, hog roast, decorations. Nice to look at but nothing I'd buy.

smellylittleorange Sat 16-Jul-16 14:00:23

Winchester is lovely but small. I enjoyed Bath (stayed in teh Travelodge) but it poured down..we went to a childrens service in Bath Abbey with a live donkey - lovely! I too like the idea of Birmingham. We did Brugge last year was ok but not totally Christmassy as expected still it is a lovely place to visit anyhow waffles, chips and beer whats not to love??

The German ones are supposed to be the bestest I think Rothenberg has good reviews?

Nursenat100 Sat 16-Jul-16 19:15:03

I've done lots. My favourite is always Manchester. It's bloody fab

Ineedmorelemonpledge Sat 16-Jul-16 19:19:06

Basel. It's awesome.

Guitargirl Sat 16-Jul-16 19:58:51

I haven't done any in the UK (except for London).

Have been impressed by Lubeck, Copenhagen and Prague in the past though. They had things which were a bit different - not the same kind of stuff all the time. I was living in the areas at the time though. Am not sure I would make a special trip all the way to Lubeck just for the Christmas market but Prague I definitely would.

franksidebottom Sat 16-Jul-16 22:21:14

I'm going to birmingham with my eldest dd this year, never been before but will give it a try. I think winterwonderland is more like a fairground than a market I wasn't keen. I have friends living in Prague it is stunning over there at Xmas time.

VanessaBet Sat 16-Jul-16 22:29:28

We went to Berlin last December and it was gorgeous. Nice quick flight and loads of markets doable in a couple of days. I came back with lots of glass and wooden ornaments, loads of stollen, paper star lampshades and those decorated lebkuchen.

ChristmasZombie Tue 26-Jul-16 07:58:21

I live in Birmingham and always make a little visit to the market. I only ever actually buy a slice of garlic bread, though! The decorations and things are all very nice, but overpriced. The atmosphere is lovely and it's all very pretty and festive, so worth a stroll through. If you're going with children make sure you go during the day, rather than the evening, as the streets tend to get full of drunks after dark and it can get a bit rowdy. I used to enjoy going after dark, but I wouldn't take my children.
If the big wheel is up that's worth a trip. It costs about £5 but it's great fun.

Eminybob Tue 26-Jul-16 08:06:10

Manchester is great. Always a fab atmosphere.

toomuchicecream Tue 02-Aug-16 18:50:27

Aachen - you could do it as a (long) day trip if you want to although I tend to include an overnight so it isn't as pressured. The first time I went I left after work, stayed in a cheap hotel on the Dutch border that night and then had about an hour's drive into Aachen the next morning. Went to the Lindt factory outlet (well worth it...) and then spent the day in the market. Got home at about midnight and went to work the next day.

Star2015 Tue 02-Aug-16 20:25:34

Heard York is nice.. I'm going to try and check it out this year!

austenozzy Tue 02-Aug-16 20:44:37

Bury St Edmunds xmas market is pretty good. The cover photo on the link below is the main part of the fair, plus it extends into the abbey gardens and up into the main market area of Bury, and into surrounding streets. Bury is worth a visit anyway, btw.

www.burystedmundschristmasfayre.co.uk/

TwuntingCat Tue 02-Aug-16 20:49:03

Manchester is by far my favourite but make sure you go in the week, you can barely move its so busy at the weekend!

joangray38 Tue 02-Aug-16 20:50:13

Salzburg is fab and doable in 2 days. Go every year to Manchester and although I still enjoy it, find its gone too spread out and some stalks are a bit tatty

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now