Analysis of Xmas cards received

(24 Posts)
BerylStreep Mon 04-Jan-16 17:22:56

I did the same last year, but must have posted it in chat, because I can't find my thread.

Anyhow, in 2015 animals accounted for 39% of all cards received in the Streep household, the highest category being birds:- Penguins (4) - in what appears to be an emerging trend, and robins also (4). This was closely followed by bears, with most, but not all, being polar bears. Other species featuring in the animal category were stags / deer and dogs.

Christmas characters is the second largest category (with Santa and snowmen both weighing at 6 cards each), representing 19% of all cards.

Snow scenes and foliage (wreaths or holly) each accounted for 14% of all cards received, and somewhat surprisingly, or not, cards with a religious theme was the lowest category, accounting for a mere 8% of all cards.

Snow scenes included houses, doors, and 2 post boxes. 'Other' includes a gingerbread man, some gloves, a sprout, and a bad piggy.

If I can find my source data for last year it would be useful to be able to comment on any changing trends.

It is definitely time for me to go back to work.

Cheesethoughts Mon 04-Jan-16 21:09:50

That is both batshit and wonderful. Well done.

SnowMuchToBits Mon 04-Jan-16 21:17:25

Excellent! But what do you do about overlaps, e.g. generally snowy scenes but they include a snowman in the distance? Would that count as snowy scene or snowman, or would you count it twice? Not that I'm pedantic or anything... fwink

BerylStreep Mon 04-Jan-16 21:21:22

I go for the main theme. If I am undecided, my 10 year old DD makes the final decision.

We entered all the data in a spreadsheet and I showed her how to do pivot tables and charts.

EduCated Mon 04-Jan-16 21:22:02

I somewhat love you.

romanrainsalot Mon 04-Jan-16 21:25:28

Awesome. I didn't go into as much (amazing) detail, but of about 60 cards, only 2 were of religious scenes.

LumelaMme Mon 04-Jan-16 21:33:51

God, I wish I had the time to do this!

I have Aussie relations. I might need a special 'Koalas' category...

LittleFishBigOcean Mon 04-Jan-16 21:36:16

I might get my class to analyse this tomorrow.

snowinginthewoods Mon 04-Jan-16 21:36:40

Ooooooh I've got all mine down, may have to do a count up tomorrow and see which is the weirdest nicest card.

Last year we got a German Schnauzer galloping through the surf which was a bit peculiar.

Sinkingfeeling Mon 04-Jan-16 21:46:38

Wow, very impressive. Bit worried that you're lacking a category for 'handmade abstract/indeterminate theme' though <eyes own window sill>

ThreenageMutantWhingerTurtle Mon 04-Jan-16 21:50:08

Wonderful!

onehellofachristmas Mon 04-Jan-16 23:14:30

We had a huge number featuring stags this year.

BerylStreep Tue 05-Jan-16 00:01:59

No foxes though. Obviously not Christmassy enough.

DramaAlpaca Tue 05-Jan-16 00:04:03

I got one with a puffin on it. Couldn't quite get the Christmassy significance of that one confused

0pheliaBalls Wed 06-Jan-16 19:30:44

Wow, that truly is a thing of beauty. I am in awe.

Sadly we didn't get any Christmas cards at all this year but if we had I would so be stealing this grin

Blankiefan Wed 06-Jan-16 21:48:04

You definitely need to do the trend analysis of yoy movements. The picture across many years would be particular interesting... See you back here for Jan 2020 with the full presentation.

totally nicking this idea to do with dd as she gets older

Blankiefan Wed 06-Jan-16 21:49:50

Ooh, you could add in the type of sender as another column (eg relative, friend, close friend, neighbour) to add done depth to your pivoting... too invested

BerylStreep Wed 06-Jan-16 23:36:24

Or perhaps group senders into age bands? We could then identify if it is a particular age group who is sending all the penguins.

There was one other card received, but it didn't make it into the data set as it was from Dh's loopy ex-gf, and it got thrown straight into the bin without even looking at it. I hope that doesn't invalidate the analysis.

choccyp1g Wed 06-Jan-16 23:41:50

I find every year seems to have one theme which accounts for about half the cards we receive. This year it was dark skies behind roofs or trees. One year it was robins, another year teddy bears....

WhispersOfWickedness Wed 06-Jan-16 23:43:08

Ooo, this is fascinating. My cards are already in the recycling bin but I must remember to give it a go next year smile

ecuse Wed 06-Jan-16 23:55:32

Beryl, will you marry me?

BerylStreep Thu 07-Jan-16 00:19:12

grin

Paperblank Thu 07-Jan-16 21:34:29

Bows at Beryl's feet.

Awesome.grin

FruStefanOla Sun 10-Jan-16 16:22:23

I remember joining in your 'analysis thread' last year Beryl fgrin

I've still got all our cards so I'll do it again and come back to this thread soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now