15lb Turkey oops!

(10 Posts)
kate1296 Wed 23-Dec-15 15:43:56

Hi all so I've just picked up Turkey from local farm and don't think I quite thought about size its huge 15lb...
Been reading online and everyone seems to say different time so how long do you think I should cook it for? Have an electric fan oven

Thank you x

florenceandermintrude Wed 23-Dec-15 16:10:12

My heroine says.................

www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/chicken-and-other-poultry/how-to-roast-turkey.html

TwinsPlusAnotherTwo Wed 23-Dec-15 16:21:38

Nigella says 2 and 3/4hrsfor 15lb. First half hour at 200C and the rest at 180 C. It needs to be at room temp before you start cooking, or will need longer.

Suzy4321 Wed 23-Dec-15 16:22:21

Looks like turkey curry, lasagne, salads and sandwiches well into the new year for you .

Eva50 Wed 23-Dec-15 22:13:08

2 and 3/4 hours won't be long enough. I think it will need double that.

QueenOfThorns Wed 23-Dec-15 22:18:32

Here is the ultimate authority on the subject, the britishturkey.co.uk cooking calculator!

It says 3 hours 50 minutes for a 7kg turkey, which is about what you have.

TwinsPlusAnotherTwo Thu 24-Dec-15 09:50:49

I've always cooked turkey based on Nigella's times, and checked with a meat thermometer. Never had a raw one yet!

Does need to be at room temp first though.

FadedRed Thu 24-Dec-15 10:02:39

If you don't want to cook it all, then take the legs off and freeze them ( as long as it was not previously frozen, of course), then reweigh the remaining crown you have left and cook that for Chrismas. You can use the legs for other meals.

haggisaggis Thu 24-Dec-15 10:29:00

If it's a free range turkey then it may not need as much time as you think. I usually cook a 6 kg turkey and takes around 2 hours. Use a meat thermometer - free range Kelly bronze bird cooked at 65 deg c. Think it may be 70 deg for a white one.
I would give it 2 hours then check the temperature - it probably won't be cooked at that point but will give you some idea about how it's getting on.
Is there nothing on the packaging to help? We get ours fom a Kelly Bronze farm and they always put cooking guidelines with the bird.

Whyamihere Thu 24-Dec-15 12:00:08

I'm cooking a 14 lb one and the bbc good food site says 20 mins at gas mark 6 and then 4hrs 14 mins at gas mark 4, we cook ours upside down for most of the time though, it seems to keep it moist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now