perfect selfish Xmas day

(17 Posts)
Flingingmelon Thu 10-Dec-15 21:18:21

If your family could get up and do whatever they wanted all day, no responsibilities, what would your Xmas day look like?

Ours would be DS eating cake and watching Peppa Pig, I'd be watching GoT and eating cheese, DH would be fantasy holiday planning.

No other extended family members involved!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 10-Dec-15 23:00:56

DH- bottle of whisky and unlimited control of the TV
DS- selection box and XBox in his pants
DD-sole use of the bathroom/shower and her iPad
Me-QVC and all the soaps, the kitchen to myself to cook

My ideal Christmas though is family (my DParents,DBro and DSil are coming this year) lots of cooking (by me fgrin ) and snow.
Then larding about to watch TV after dinner.

PresidentUnderwood Thu 10-Dec-15 23:06:32

DH - Football, old films, whisky and selection box, and he wouldn't talk
DD - princess dress, would eat old Cheerios & raisins she found Diwn back of sofa and watch Peppa.
DS - onesie, plate of roast potatoes and gravy, then whole trifle to himself whilst watching Power bloody Rangers
Me - beautiful Xmas dress, no inlaws, church, early dinner, brisk walk and whole bottle of Krug champagne (plus sneaky cigarette)

nilbyname Thu 10-Dec-15 23:17:16

Me- 5 course meal, fine wines, champagne, cocktail dress, dancing, charades, scintillating conversation, debauched conversation, brisk walk, sniggering like a kid at charades, collapse.
Dh- traditional roast, brisk walk, Charades, scrabble, sleep
DS- chocolate, chocolate, Lego, Lego, Lego, writing, colouring, chocolate, home alone 1/2
Dd- manic singing, hair brushing, dancing, chocolate, chocolate, more preening, dressing up, singing, chocolate, bouncing on us, scooting to the park, chocolate, home alone 1, Elf. Collapse.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 11-Dec-15 04:12:31

I once had one. Swimming on the roof of the hotel first thing. Wine starting at 10am. Chinese food all day (thank you Jewish people) and drunk as a monkey by sundown.

It was miserable.

Now I would choose JUST Christmas Day at my parents. I live 5000 miles away so that's not possible. Teleport in, eat stuffing, teleport out. Perfect. All I want for Christmas is a teleporter.

DH... 12 hours of Call of Duty and a glass of whiskey.

DD... 12 hours of television and shit food.

Greebosmum Fri 11-Dec-15 05:17:33

DH - Just the two of us in the house, a new Wing Nut Wings model to make, whiskey.

Me - All the family round for the day, cooking a huge dinner with a decent selection of programmes on the radio to listen to while I'm doing it, then they can do the washing up while I have a snooze. Brief walk. Board games.

What will actually happen will be something between the two but without the Wing Nut Wings model (have you any idea how much these things cost?).

icklekid Fri 11-Dec-15 05:27:24

Went skiing with dh for our first Christmas when we were married. Catered chalet so dinner cooked unlimited free wine, snow and skiing in the day and relaxing in eve. Now if I hadn't been ill that would have been perfect! 😆

jamtartandcustard Fri 11-Dec-15 06:30:44

Dh would be just us at home, pj's all day, see nobody else, watch tv, afternoon nap. Eat. We did it a few years ago - worst Christmas ever as far as I was concerned. It was horrid.
My perfect Christmas involves chaos, noise, and the entire family. Exhausting but fabulous and fun

BikeRunSki Fri 11-Dec-15 06:43:08

Me - hillwalking with peanut butter and jam sandwhiches, a lump of Stilton.

DH - would either go cycling or lie on the sofa and watch old films.

DS(7) - would play on his hudl and eat mince pies and chox oranges. No one would ask him to get dressed or leave the house. He'd have fish and chips for tea.

Dd(4) would write and colour all day and no one would ask her to do anything inconvenient like eat.

WipsGlitter Fri 11-Dec-15 07:00:13

DH - watch site on telly all day with take out coffees brought to him. Few drinks in the evening then fall asleep in front of the telly.
DS1 - iPad all day. Chocolate all day.
DS2 - telly all day, unlimited pasta to eat with rice cakes and bananas.
Me - not up at the crack of dawn, joyful present opening with a range of thoughtful gifts from DH. Leisurely breakfast. People calling for drinks and canapés while the children play. Huge lunch prepared by magic cooking elves who also clear up. Lovely white wine. Decent film on tv that we watch together. Kids off to bed, wine and cheese for me and DH.

sandgrown Fri 11-Dec-15 07:13:32

Me-not up too early. Some nice presents to open. Lovely posh breakfast with a glass of fizz. All children and GC round for a big family dinner followed by games.
DH- full English. Christmas dinner at home. Wine. Sleep. Television. Sleep.
DS- up early. Lots of things to open. Pancakes. Christmas lunch with all our family ( no sprouts). Games then sneaking off to play the new FIFA game he hopes to receive.

MTWTFSS Fri 11-Dec-15 07:28:48

Every Xmas is a selfish Xmas for us grin

It is only the 4 of us and it is great!!! We see family before and after but never on the day.

FinallyHere Fri 11-Dec-15 08:03:48

DH travels a lot, and DC all grown up with their own families. Family catchups ar all planned around rather than on the actual day. Christmas Day for us is absolutely no travelling and a complete suspension of all sensible eating rules. Perfect.

Cliffdiver Fri 11-Dec-15 08:33:26

I think we are having the perfect Christmas this year.

DSD is staying over Xmas Eve for the first time since DH and I have been together (she normally likes to be at home to open stockings with her other siblings but her DM & DSDad have decided she is too old for a stocking sad so she's coming to us smile). DD1 and 2 will be so excited!

Xmas day will be stockings, pancakes, presents, church (for me, MIL and DD1) and then home to play with presents, DH is cooking Christmas lunch and MIL and DSD will be spending the day with us.

Boxing Day will be at my parents with leftovers to eat.

ProjectPerfect Fri 11-Dec-15 08:37:20

My perfect Christmas is with family and friends - and is exactly what I will be doing this year: up before 6 for stockings, breakfast of fresh bread and smoked salmon. Champagne and presents at 10, family and friends from 11, more champagne, more presents a feast and then chatting and games with some cheese and chocolate into the evening.

IAmcuriousyellow Fri 11-Dec-15 08:45:35

Perfect Christmas? Check me out! For complicated reasons we are celebrating Yule this year and will be having our big roast on the 21st - freeing up the 25th to be a complete day off! I'll fill the fridge and freezer with easy treaty food for people to help themselves and everyone can please themselves completely. I expect for the teenagers the day will be spent on x boxes or TV, I'll be in the bath the entire morning with a bottle of champagne.. maybe a jigsaw puzzle on the dining table.. anyone who wants to sleep most of the day can do so, with no rules about opening presents or getting dressed or ANYTHING! Ace.

Savagebeauty Fri 11-Dec-15 08:48:17

I am having it this year. Just me and the dcs....to friends for lunchtime drinks....back for dinner eating about 4, then they're seeing their dad.
Perfect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now