Gift for a friend and her family who've suffered loss this year

(14 Posts)

My dear friend had her DD in May then two days later lost her mum, she now cares for her teen siblings whilst also being a new mother to her dd...it's been utterly horrendous

I want to buy a small gift-along the lines of a willow tree ornament (I just can't find one Iove and means what I want it to)

Any ideas hugely appreciated

ImperialBlether Fri 04-Dec-15 20:20:23

That must have been so hard for her. Her siblings are so lucky to have her there. Does she have a partner?

She's the most wonderful person...yes, her partner is hugely supportive and a wonderful man...they're both mid twenties and overnight he became a dad and took on two teenagers without so much as a bat of an eyelid

It's all so utterly shit

Finbar Fri 04-Dec-15 23:47:49

My good friend sent me a basket of cupcakes when our family had an awful bereavement. It was perfect for all of us including teens, and probably replaced some much needed blood sugar!

Thank you, our friendship group did an ocado shop with a shit Ton of junk in when it happened so I'm looking for something permanent! teenage boys will eat anything not nailed down wink

Sorry for your bereavement xx

Daisydukes79 Sat 05-Dec-15 09:32:56

www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=node%3D3028620031&field-keywords=More+than+words&rh=n%3A3028620031%2Ck%3AMore+than+words
My oh bought me one from this range last year. Any help?

ChristmasZombie Sat 05-Dec-15 10:15:51

How very sad. She must be feeling very strained.
Not an ornament exactly, but what about a tree for their garden? Something low maintenance! Maybe a fruit tree? Do they require much looking after?

Avebury Sat 05-Dec-15 19:37:25

What about a nice angel for her Christmas tree in memory of their mum?

Thank you

I don't know if they're having an Xmas tree this year and I think they'll want to use "family" ornaments if they do so not sure about an angel

They lost their Nanna 6 weeks after their mum so it's really a shitty time (and I know there's a lot of guilt over it being babies 1st Xmas so they "should" celebrate even when they're grieving) and I just can't find something "right"

I do like the remembrance willow tree and from the range linked to above so will look further

Thanks all

Bumping for anymore ideas xxxx

Bump smile

Cheshireblue Tue 08-Dec-15 17:24:42

You can buy a rose bush called remember me - lovely to plant and see it flower each year. You can also get them called mum, grandma etc

Thanks so much, I'll look into that

daisydalrymple Mon 14-Dec-15 20:24:11

Hi, so sorry to read of your friends loss, at such a time when she'd be wanting her mum more than ever. Not exactly permanent, but could you get a couple of outside big plant pots and fill with spring bulbs, for a sign of hope and new life with her dd. This might sound a bit weird, but Rosemary is for remembrance, so maybe a planter of that? And a winter candle that they can all light during advent for her mum?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now