Non-traditional menu- please cast your eye!

(35 Posts)
Scarydinosaurs Mon 30-Nov-15 19:26:35

Ok, I'm putting together my plans for Christmas menu. I'm feeding nine (that includes two toddlers and a baby) and have had a thread on the unreasonableness of not doing turkey all the way back in the summer blush

This is the plan:

Melted Camembert and crudités with French stick on the table whilst we serve up- an informal starter to blend into the main.

Chautaubriand,
potato gratin,
carrots, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and bacon
Variety of steak sauces
I might do really fancy triple cooked chips too especially for my chip loving husband.

Dessert
Ice cream and chocolate puddings

Anything obvious that doesn't go or could be added to make it amazing?

Thanks so much!

iklboo Mon 30-Nov-15 19:27:40

Where do you live and what time should I get there? I'll bring wine & port. And a cheeseboard.

FattyNinjaOwl Mon 30-Nov-15 19:31:50

Can you pm your address please? I will be there nice and early grin

sharoncarol43 Mon 30-Nov-15 19:34:32

looks good. There is nothing particularly traditional about turkey.We've never had it neither as a child in my parents home nor as an adult in my own home.

Radio13 Mon 30-Nov-15 19:35:16

Sounds delicious!

We don't do traditional either but nothing as nice as yours!

Cookingongas Mon 30-Nov-15 19:35:57

With the Camembert will there be any sauce? A cranberry and red onion relish or a sharp chutney? I always like a spoon of relish to go with melted cheese.

Dinner sounds perfect.

Despite having cheese starter and presumably a good Stilton sauce is one of the steak sauces available,I still think a cheeseboard would not go amiss- but I am a cheese addict so may be biasedgrin

Pointlessfan Mon 30-Nov-15 19:38:09

That sounds fab!

stardusty5 Mon 30-Nov-15 19:39:31

Delicious! Especially with the posh chips and peppercorn sauce! Yum!!

DameDancealot Mon 30-Nov-15 19:40:55

Potato gratin is my favourite

Scarydinosaurs Mon 30-Nov-15 20:09:48

Oh phew! I was a bit hmmm about the veg- but I think lots of butter, honey and maybe a touch of garlic and chilli on the broccoli should sort it.

Chutney for the Camembert! Yes! Right adding that to the list now. Cranberry or red currant should do it. Thank you cooking

And yes, cheese board for tea plus a ham in Coke. We will also certainly have a blue cheese sauce with the steak- I've been perfecting it for months!

star so pleased you said that! I'm going to borrow my dad's deep fat fryer and everything. Steak needs chips!

Scarydinosaurs Mon 30-Nov-15 20:11:36

Thanks so much for the positive comments! You've totally reassured me; I was beginning to wobble the other day, but this has strengthened my resolve.

ChristmasZombie Mon 30-Nov-15 20:14:29

Ooh yes, I agree with cookingongas about the chutney for the cheese starter. That'd just set it off! Maybe some crackers? Might be a bit much alongside the bread, though.

The main sounds dreamy! Yum!

Are you going to offer any traditional Christmas sweets? Christmas pudding, mince pies?

ArcheryAnnie Mon 30-Nov-15 20:17:53

That sounds absolutely, totally fantastic.

I think I'm going to take a leaf out of your book and have the nicest meal we can think of that isn't turkey. (I find turkey absolutely joyless except for the skin, and that's only because it's covered in fat and salt.)

MyCircusMyMonkeys Mon 30-Nov-15 20:19:50

I think it sounds lush :D Definitely chips, and make sure you have a lovely red wine for that steak.

MyCircusMyMonkeys Mon 30-Nov-15 20:20:17

Turkey is vile. We're having lamb and beef this year.

GenevaMaybe Mon 30-Nov-15 20:23:27

Salivating.

I saw a recipe during the week that was for baked breadsticks wrapped in bacon to dip into the baked Camembert. Sexy.
Also I had baked Camembert once in a Spanish place that had honey and rosemary drizzled over. Oh jaysus I am actually drooling.

Cuppachaplz Mon 30-Nov-15 20:29:01

OMG that sounds awesome. It's almost our dream menu.
Soooo jealous santa

Scarydinosaurs Mon 30-Nov-15 21:15:18

Geneva I'm with you on the Rosemary! I'm buying at least two of the massive camemberts, so 'mine' can have honey on it grin

mycircus I love a red wine sauce, but I can't drink the stuff. I'm going to pick a really nice one for my red wine drinkers though- any particular ones you would reccomend?

archery do it. Best decision I made. Turkey is boring. I can't wait for this meal.

zombie I adore Christmas pudding, Christmas cake and mince pies- so all of those will feature!

Raxacoricofallapatorius Mon 30-Nov-15 21:41:26

I would be horribly disappointed with that as a menu, but purely because I do not like chateaubriand or camembert! I presume you know that your guests DO like them? Obviously, lots of MNers will help with the finishing touches, but knowing that your guests are happy with the planned menu is of paramount importance too. grin I am sure you have already checked already of course and obviously you know these people already so can probably menu plan for them. Have a lovely, lovely Christmas, you have clearly put a lot of time and effort into the planning. smile

Cookingongas Mon 30-Nov-15 21:43:25

Where do you shop scary? I live for red wine ( and aforementioned cheese) and dependent in where you shop can recommend a few

Scarydinosaurs Mon 30-Nov-15 22:27:32

I can go anywhere! Very lucky to live close to everything- I'm off to Costco too in the week so can buy from there, their wine section is vast grin

Scarydinosaurs Mon 30-Nov-15 22:28:06

Yes- this is everyone's favourite meal- worry not!

jingscrivvens Tue 01-Dec-15 13:50:54

Yum yum!

have you tried Nigella's Ginger glazed ham? It's like the Ham in Cola but you cook it in ginger beer, it's a bit Christmassy and I prefer it but don't get me wrong I'f scoff the cola one up too! nigella ginger glazed ham

ChristmasZombie Tue 01-Dec-15 14:50:01

This thread is making me hungry...

momb Tue 01-Dec-15 15:00:09

Serve something sharp and fruity with the chocolate pud and icecream; raspberries would be nice.

Individually I think that baked camembert with crusty bread, chateaubriand with sauces and gratin or chips and chocolate puds with ice cream are amazing.... It is a very rich combination though, especially if you are planning on buttering/dressing all the veg and then doing a cheese and ham dinner later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now