Christmas with family

(8 Posts)
lovebeinganan Mon 30-Nov-15 10:21:14

This year I am going to cook Christmas dinner for my parents: Dad is bed ridden with a brain tumour and mum is recovering from heart surgery. Mum said not to worry about Christmas but I have got the full dinner planned for them, along with a tree and table decorations which I will put up before I get them up on Christmas morning.

Boxing day I get to have all 4 of my sons, their wives and my 8 grandchildren for dinner - 18 of us will be a bit cramped but it will be lovely to have them all together for one day.

Since I can remember my family have had a a tradition of table presents - a small gift of a couple of pounds that is on the dinner table (the host gives the go ahead to open them if their is any kind of hold up with the dinner or during a break before dessert, and it helps keep the little ones seated and well behaved). Some years they are funny presents, other years just useful little things.

I am struggling to think of something for my, then 6 week old grandaughter for £2 (only buying for her so the others dont think she is being left out.

Any ideas?

KitKat1985 Mon 30-Nov-15 10:30:59

A small rattle or teddy?
A finger puppet?

P.S. Wishing you a lovely Christmas with all of your family.

ImperialBlether Mon 30-Nov-15 10:36:06

I would buy her this!

Sounds like a lovely Christmas for you; so sorry your mum and dad aren't well, though.

ImperialBlether Mon 30-Nov-15 10:38:13

I've just seen that that is out of stock, but Mothercare has a few things like that that are only a couple of pounds.

Sitoff Mon 30-Nov-15 10:40:26

Try local supermarket - Sainsbury's have A 1st Christmas bib £1.50 or small pack of Tommee Tippee disposable ones £2 or for a little more rattle socks £4.50 (although maybe just too young for them?)

Asherella Wed 02-Dec-15 21:52:39

I got a baby mirror (mirror in a sturdy plastic frame) from baby section in pound shop type store a few years ago for €1. Picture on one side, mirror on other and chewable edges. Really funny to watch baby's expression when they discover the mirror!

maybe look for a teether (one that you refrigerate or that vibrates might be fun) or a rattle that squeaks when you squeeze it.

clippityclop Wed 02-Dec-15 21:57:21

How about a cloth book, or a little soft teddy? You sound lovely, i hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Cressandra Wed 02-Dec-15 23:09:44

Try a pound shop or supermarket. In with the bottles and dummies they often have some little teethers.

It is lovely of you to include her. None of my family bought for my DD her first christmas, and although she was very very tiny and didn't have a clue what was going on, I did feel hurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now