Present ideas for elderly grandparents

(15 Posts)
JoanGalt Sun 29-Nov-15 17:06:45

I would like to get a little something for my grandparents but I'm struggling for ideas.

My Grandma is almost blind and can't walk unaided. She loves sweet things and her old dog and .... I'm not really sure.

My Grandad is almost 90 but still drives and does most of the care for my Grandma. He likes to read war novels and talk about their old dog!

They are both elderly and set in their ways. They like traditional food but struggle to cook much these days. They are both fiercely independent and when I suggested a cleaner they were horrified.

Can anyone suggest anything they might like?

laundryeverywhere Sun 29-Nov-15 17:27:29

Nice tin of biscuits, maybe a dog on the tin.

laundryeverywhere Sun 29-Nov-15 17:28:45

If you want to spend more a food hamper.

thesandwich Sun 29-Nov-15 17:31:06

There is a great thread of ideas in the elderly parent thread- sorry can't link.

florentina1 Sun 29-Nov-15 17:32:04

Could you as a family, each make a recording of one happy memory you share with your Grandparents. I am thinking something like a mini cassette tape. Not sure if you can still buy them.

defineme Sun 29-Nov-15 17:38:48

Nice snuggly throw/blanket
Collection of war films on dvd.
History of ww1/2 in 100 objects are good books.
Talking book cds
chocolate club subscription
olf fashioned sweet shop jars of sweets
get artist to draw/paint dog or cheaper would be getting its photo put on a cushion/blanket/bag etc

candykane25 Sun 29-Nov-15 22:59:14

I've got my grandad a remote control holder that is a toy dog that drapes over the arm of the sofa. He lives a soft toy and it'll help him keep track of the remote. Got it on amazon.

Secretescape Sun 29-Nov-15 23:01:22

Talking books
Subscription to talking newspaper
Cake/tea/biscuit club
Afternoon tea somewhere
Your time

potap123 Sun 29-Nov-15 23:06:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FireInTheDisco Sun 29-Nov-15 23:43:56

How about a nice throw? Likely to get some good use with the cold nights rolling in.

janaus Mon 30-Nov-15 03:35:24

My Dad is 90, and I am looking for a set of coins of his birth year. Think they will be on ebay. Nothing else he needs, We will then have a memento to keep.

Asherella Wed 02-Dec-15 21:36:20

Haven't any suggestions to add but if your gran is nearly blind you could add some extra dimension to the unwrapping experience by using plush velvet ribbons, silky tissue layers, a spritz of fragrance etc rather than just plain old gift wrap and tape.

Could you find some music from when they were young? Maybe research what was popular when they were in their early twenties or the years they were courting. My dad ( in his late 70s) is a late comer to the joys of the Internet and is continually asking me to find songs and music for him. Maybe you could make them a mixed tape?

Do they suffer with the cold? I'm considering getting a battery operated heated gillet for my mother, but not sure how heavy it would be as she's getting frailer. lots of heat related options: foot warmers, lap rugs, hats (!), cashmere is super warm and luxurious to touch if your budget stretches to it.

Have you looked at sites that sell aids for the elderly- the kind of site that carries folding walking sticks and comfy shoes. Not suggesting either of those but you might get an idea for something useful and practical. My dad is still raving about a one touch can opener I got him a couple of years ago. Not the most glamorous of presents but he's grateful when he's mooching around in the night and can have a snack without help which he wouldn't manage with his arthritis.

Pinkladymel Thu 03-Dec-15 02:11:37

I'm getting grandmother a tefal egg n toast. Allows you to effortlessly cook two slices of toast and an egg with minimal washing up.

JoanGalt Thu 03-Dec-15 05:59:59

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I've got lots of good ideas now.

I can't help but feel sad about all the things they loved but can no longer enjoy. It's horrible watching people get so frail.

ChinUpChestOut Thu 03-Dec-15 10:03:31

Pinklady you have opened my eyes to the Tefal egg n toast. Oh. My. God. That is a thing of beauty. I don't know whether to give it to my parents or to me.

To me, I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now