Wreaths: real or fake, and when to put up?

(11 Posts)
soundsystem Wed 18-Nov-15 09:07:43

We've never had one before, as we've always been in a flat until this year. Now we have our own door, I'm keen to get one - they just look so Christmassy!

I like the idea of a real one with the lovely smell, but is it worth it? If so, when is the best time to get one to get the most out of it?

Thanks

atticusclaw2 Wed 18-Nov-15 09:11:28

Real ones look lovely but are expensive unless you make your own. We have a nice fake one which I supplement with real holly and twinkly lights. It was fairly expensive but it comes out every year.

My autumn wreath will come down in a couple of weeks and be replaced by the Christmas wreath on December 1st. I have a wreath all year because I like them so much. Spring is spring flowers and light green leaves, summer is bright full blooms, autumn is autumn leaves and pine cones and Christmas is holly etc.

MummyPig24 Wed 18-Nov-15 09:22:23

We have bought a beautiful one this year. It's real but doesn't have foliage, it's twigs and berries. That sounds totally shit but it's lovely and rustic, muted Browns and reds.

FireflyGirl Wed 18-Nov-15 10:27:46

We have an artificial tree so this year I want to get a real wreath for the door.

If you hang it outside, you won't really appreciate the smell. Interested to see how long they last.

soundsystem Wed 18-Nov-15 12:48:20

Thanks! Will have a look at real ones. Mummypig that sounds like a good idea - will look at twiggy ones as well as leafy smile

girlywhirly Wed 18-Nov-15 12:58:17

Real/fresh foliage wreaths will last much longer outside in the cold, probably from mid December until after New Year. Indoors they suffer in the central heating and would only last a week.

terrieellis441 Wed 09-Dec-15 10:11:09

For me, I prefer the artificial Xmas wreaths because it does not wither and we can even use it again next Christmas. Before, I used real flowers for my wreaths and then I realised that it is a bit more expensive and it’s only good for a period of time.

I bought my Xmas wreaths from xmaswreaths.co.uk/xmas-wreaths.html and ever since I've been using the same decor every Christmas.

lavendersun Wed 09-Dec-15 10:20:12

I made one last week - very easy. I bought wire rings from eBay (£1.80 for 5), covered it with moss gathered from outside, holly and other green things from my friend's garden. We used some ribbons and cones we had from last year.

You just wrap/bind the moss on with gardening string and twist gardening wire on the cuttings, pushing it through the moss and fastening at the back.

Easy to do if you are in the countryside and cheap if you have access to a gardening shed/what you need already.

Must add that I would probably never do it without my friend who comes over for the day - much scoffing of mince pies/sausage rolls and drinking of fizzy stuff.

Total spend here was on the rings - we spent far more on food and a bottle of fizz.

macnab Wed 09-Dec-15 11:07:54

I got a lovely one in Aldi! Its got pine cones and leaves and berries, all dried and sprinkled with gold glittery. It looks so festive. I don't know if it will keep for next year but it was cheap (doesn't look it though) so I won't mind too much - its been battered with wind & rain this week!

soundsystem Wed 09-Dec-15 13:15:14

Ooh lavendersun that sounds great! I'll try making my own next year.

I got a fresh one from Tesco for a fiver and it actually looks really good!

lavendersun Wed 09-Dec-15 13:31:35

Unless you enjoy making things Sound - one for a fiver sounds great grin.

I just use it as an excuse to spend the day with my friend tbh. We only manage to meet up four or five times a year, generally for lunch in the pub.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now