What is your elf doing or bringing this year?

(19 Posts)
Heavenscent86 Wed 11-Nov-15 09:45:37

This is my first year doing elf on the shelf. I've got halfway through my list of mischievous antics and occasional treats but I'm starting to struggle for ideas now. Please help.

GastonsChestHair Wed 11-Nov-15 09:52:50

Get thee onto Pinterest!! Loads of elf on the shelf ideas on there santa

jopickles Wed 11-Nov-15 12:01:36

dip cheerios in melted chocolate for elf doughnuts, write message in flour, wrap Christmas tree in clingfilm/toilet roll, colour in a pic, kidnap another toy, headfirst in a box of chocs with loads of empty wrappers scattered, hidden in the tree

Heavenscent86 Wed 11-Nov-15 16:02:59

Thank you. Definitely doing head first into a box of chocs! My daughter will love that.

BuildersBum Wed 11-Nov-15 19:11:01

Here he brings the advent calendars, Xmas decorations, Xmas toys etc as well getting up to high jinx.

Some people plan exactly what they're going to do specifically every night, I'm a lot more what I can be arsed to do that night. Some stuff is a lot less effort than others.

Pinterest is a great resource and so are some FB pages.

cravingcake Wed 11-Nov-15 20:22:30

Our elves arrive with Christmas pj's (and therefore get a whole month use out of them, just make sure they are clean for Christmas Eve) and advent calendars. Definitely have a look on Pinterest, loads of ideas there. Our elves are not the origianl ones and are much bigger but antics that have gone down well in past year's are:
Shoe race with other toys (think sack race), one toy at finish line with a flag.
Covered entire downstairs loo with toilet paper.
Stuck Christmas stickers all over each other (we have two elves, once for each DC).
Hiding in the fridge (they miss the North Pole).
Party in the paddling pool filled with balls with other toys

Another thing I do is sort of plan a basic list of things, so for a weekend day or a day when I need an at home activity they will have a colouring book and crayons out and started colouring, other days when I'm tired and lacking inspiration I have a list of ideas that I can just pull up so they don't repeat themselves and can just look at that.

On Christmas Eve morning they have a box of goodies for the DC containing a new story book to read, dvd to watch, soothing lavender bath bomb and reindeer food to scatter, and anything else that may be nice.

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Wed 11-Nov-15 20:29:07

We have Pip, big sister Twinkle (as Pip was naughty on his first year's assignment) and this year he will be bringing Pup.
He puts the tree up, decorates it with pants, plays wii, drinks daddy's beer, has pic nics with the other toys, eats all the hazelnut chocolates (my favourite)eats their cereal, puts food colour down the loo (elf wee) and much more. Might need to make pup poo this year?

BrandNewAndImproved Wed 11-Nov-15 20:32:25

Pants on the Christmas tree

Turn the milk green

Eats all the chocolates and she's found buried in the wrappers

Unravels the toilet roll

We have a fairy and she's not particularly good grin

ChickadeeChick Wed 11-Nov-15 21:07:14

Place marking for mischief ideas as we will be visited by our first elf this year (DD will be 2 next week). Love the idea of the elf bringing advent calendars and PJs on Dec 1st, and also treats on Xmas eve. Can't wait for all the magic to happen! X

WhoisLucasHood Wed 11-Nov-15 21:15:26

Merry arrives on the 1st with advent calendars and leaves on 24th leaving PJs, hot chocolate, Xmas movie and Santa's tray.
Last year was our first Elf year, it went down very well. The DDs took it in turn to take him to bed and by morning he was turning out fridge into a snowman, reading books to the toys, decorating the tree with pants or bras, coloured in their books. I'm not doing much differently this year as it worked so well last year. I like the green toilet and milk ideas.

Darvany Wed 11-Nov-15 21:28:45

I'd really like our EotS to hand in his retirement notice.

Darvany Wed 11-Nov-15 21:39:28

But this year he will be bringing (along with the stuff he usually gets out of the Christmas bag) some little skirting board decals depicting mice carrying presents into a little mouse door hmm

I need to look on pinterest for resignation letters and end this madness once and for all grin

Heavenscent86 Thu 12-Nov-15 07:43:06

Actually I love those mouse decals. Where are they from?

Darvany Thu 12-Nov-15 10:19:51

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221774235703?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

When you order you'll get a message asking which colour you'd like.

HortonWho Thu 12-Nov-15 10:32:34

Our Elf is a pixie so about half the size of the official Elf on the Shelf, but these pinterest ideas have gone down well...

-Elf stuck inside blown up balloon
-Elf stuck inside washing machine
-Elf trapped in overturned glass, with a bigger toy sitting on top of him
(this was particularly funny to them, with the bigger toy being reprimanded for being so naughty for days)
-Elf playing dress up with other doll's clothes
-Elf eating bananas (drawn to look like minions)
- Elf making a snow angel on the counter top but with rainbow sprinkles not flour - less mess to clean up as the kids hoover up the sprinkles

new stuff we're trying out this year
-if you bought the chalk pens in the Xmas bargain thread, your elf could draw mustaches on framed family photos. I'm a bit aprehensive about this one, as I wonder if the kids will try to copy the Elf with their markers.

mrsdavegrohl Thu 12-Nov-15 12:48:17

I love those mouse decals!
I started Elf on the shelf last year and couldn't believe how much kids loved it!
This year I've done my usual of taking everything too far and have a facebook page for elf sleeping bags (made my own then got lots of orders from friends)
I also put my ideas on there and free printables i've found through pinterest.

Catanddogmake6 Thu 12-Nov-15 18:16:10

Last year the elf stuck googly eyes on the fruit in the fruit bowl with edible glue. He also had a snowball fight with some chocolate snowmen - those white chocolate snowball sweets (?cadburys) and the scene made up with cotton wool sheets to look like snow. We also did 'magic beans'. They were left a pot and some Demerara sugar and a bean (I think jelly bean) and had to plant it. When they came down in the morning it had 'grown' into a large marshmallow lolly. This year he is going to bring them a Christmas bauble. As someone (I think on here) pointed out when you have your first home you never have decorations so I'm copying their idea and going to give them one a year so they have their own small collection when they move out.

Catanddogmake6 Thu 12-Nov-15 18:17:43

Actually thinking about it - the 'earth' for the magic beans was dark muscovado sugar not Demerara (that was the sand for the pirate ship cake).

Darvany Thu 12-Nov-15 23:15:39

Well I haven't found a resignation letter so I'll be doing EotS for the foreseeable future but DC2 would love this.

And one just for fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now