Crackers

(10 Posts)
toastedbeagle Sun 01-Nov-15 05:45:48

Any recommendations for any decent ones? Or are they all just a waste of money so go cheap? About 5 yrs ago we found some trivia ones which suited the competitive nature of my family but this year got in laws and I don't think it would go as well.

There's 9 of us (although 10m baby may do without). I saw some nice luxury foodie ones in TK maxx but we're still £15 for 6 so would need 2 boxes which is still £30...

Hmm making my own now seems a good idea too! Any used any pre made kits this year?

Strawclutching Sun 01-Nov-15 05:59:02

I've done make your own before and they are great if you do them ages in advance otherwise go cheap. Even expensive crackers are rubbish. Better to spend money on the food or booze.

OSETmum Sun 01-Nov-15 08:31:34

We just get those ones with the wind up racers inside. They're a bit of fun on Christmas Day, fab for kids and not expensive so there's no disappointment. Aldi are doing them in their special buys very soon ( sorry can't remember exact date).

TheGreenNinja Sun 01-Nov-15 08:36:03

Another vote for the wind up racer ones here (although I saw Lakeland are selling those for £20!). We've tried expensive crackers and they are always a bit shit anyway, so now we try and get the racer type ones, or quiz ones or something along those lines. I almost always get them in the January sales though!

OSETmum Sun 01-Nov-15 13:43:55

£4.99 in Aldi TheGreenNinja just checked and they're in today.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 01-Nov-15 17:08:51

I'm also looking , I like to match mine in with my table setting ( I'm going for cream/gold this year. Cream cover, gold coasters and runner.
The green/silver has been moved to Boxing Day)

The M&S Favour ones looked interesting, a triangular shape rather than the traditional cracker.
I'm waiting till the 3 for 2 start then I'll get some with my other decorations.
Aiming for mid priced so not plastic tat but not £50 shock either like some are.

ChristmasZombie Sun 01-Nov-15 19:46:39

I like the DIY crackers. I try to pick up a kit reduced after Christmas (The Works usually have them), ready for the next year. And I fill them with a specific gift for each person (like nail polish for mum, chocolate buttons for children, etc).

girlywhirly Tue 03-Nov-15 16:41:47

If you don't mind what the contents are, Waitrose are doing a special offer on crackers £5 a box. There are some cream and gold ones with snowflakes on.

I've bought a make your own crackers kit from Hobbycraft, but they aren't very big. Easy for me to find tiny things to fit in mine, but DH more problematic. Have got one of those tiny lights that clips onto a book, but I'll probably have to take it out of the packaging so that it will fit! The crackers themselves I can jazz up with some nice ribbons and stuff.

LetMeBeLight Tue 03-Nov-15 16:52:48

I got mine from Hotel Chocolat. They went down well last year, but are not a cheap option @ £4 per cracker!!

I see they do mini crackers @ £16 for 10 (each containing 2 chocolates) which seems far more reasonable, but as far as I can tell, no joke or hat.

You can often get 15% off in the run up to Christmas.

flatmouse Tue 03-Nov-15 16:56:47

Musical ones are fun - can get whistles, little handbells (expensive), xylophone keys - then you get to play a tune between you.
Also we have enjoyed the balloon modelling ones (to play with in between main meal and pud!). But get some more "blowers" and perhaps print off some extra instructions for different models to make.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now