Christmas Hampers

(5 Posts)
SparklyTinselTits Thu 22-Oct-15 09:10:06

Has anyone made their own Christmas hampers?
I've been browsing online, and from what I've seen, a lot of them seem to be massively over-priced for what they contain. We are on a stricter budget than last year, so can't be spending £60-£100 on a pre-made one.
I always get a hamper for my Nan and Grandad, but pay around £80 for it. I don't want to break tradition, but definitely can't be spending that much.
My Nan is diabetic, and neither of them are really drinkers, so a lot of the pre-made ones I've seen wouldn't be suitable anyway.
Does anyone have any ideas of what I can put in?
So far I'm thinking:

-Posh tea bags
-Nice coffee
-A mini Christmas cake
-A cheese selection & crackers

What else??

Kraggle Thu 22-Oct-15 09:13:22

Nibbly bits, nuts, crisps etc, last minute additions like a pork pie or something like that, jams if she can eat those, chutney?

SparklyTinselTits Thu 22-Oct-15 09:18:53

Thanks Kraggle

I was thinking of getting a jar of diabetic jam. Don't want to put real jam in if I'm putting cake in as well!
A nice pork pie is a good idea though smile

momb Thu 22-Oct-15 09:23:19

pate in a jar, pickled onions/walnuts/spiced pears, antipasti (artichoke hearts or roasted peppers in oil, olives.
crackers
You can buy cheeses in pots nearer to Christmas but I'm not sure if they have a significant shelf life.
If you are popping in last minute/refrigerator bits like pork pie how about smoked salmon or gravadlax

SparklyTinselTits Thu 22-Oct-15 10:15:59

Some lovely ideas.... Might make one for myself!! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now