Bored of usual Christmas food

(19 Posts)
Wilhamenawonka Sat 26-Sep-15 13:02:19

Normally a chicken as it was just me and h and two very young minis. Lots of veg and other trimmings and last year we had pancakes with a fruit tree for breakfast.

This year it will be just me, a two and five year old.
They don't care about tradition and we can have chicken any time.

I want special ideas that I can enjoy that are different.
Kids will eat most things except tomato and chilli.

Any Ideas?

GrouchyKiwi Sat 26-Sep-15 13:10:30

What about salmon en croute? Delicious, looks magnificent and definitely not an every day thing.

Wilhamenawonka Sat 26-Sep-15 13:12:25

Now that is a great idea!
Thanks

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 26-Sep-15 13:16:46

I was going to suggest that too, I made Delia's last year, the one with the rice that I have suddenly forgotten the name of.

FrenchPlaits Sat 26-Sep-15 13:19:54

Salmon en croute is a great call.

Beef wellington

a roast duck with dauphinoise potatoes?

or ask the kids what they would like? grin

Wilhamenawonka Sat 26-Sep-15 13:27:43

I'm not doing fish and chips for Christmas lunch grin

Although dd1 who is five has just said her favourite food is stroganoff hmm

glenthebattleostrich Sat 26-Sep-15 13:29:50

Or totally say sod it and have a Christmas buffet with loads of lovely party food eaten in front of the Christmas tree

FadedRed Sat 26-Sep-15 13:30:49

I hear that a pig's head is fashionable in some quarters these days, just remember that is is more traditional to put an apple in it's mouth. grin

autumnintheair Sat 26-Sep-15 15:42:48

Pheasant???

Not too rich, tasty delicous? but special?

Musidora Sat 26-Sep-15 17:39:02

There were 3 of us for Christmas Day a few years ago as DM went to spend the day with her elderly parents, so we had the big Christmas roast with her on Christmas Eve. On Christmas Day I did a butternut squash and Wensleydale risotto - not too much effort but lovely and creamy, warming and wintery. We were all adults there but I should think little ones would like it too.

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 26-Sep-15 17:47:27

We had duck last year, which went down so well I think I'll do it again this year.

ImperialBlether Sat 26-Sep-15 17:59:01

Roast lamb studded with garlic and rosemary, with Delia's redcurrant jelly and mint jelly sauce (easiest sauce ever) and gratin dauphinois.

MegBusset Sat 26-Sep-15 18:05:05

If it was just me and the DC I would go out for lunch and let someone else worry about what to cook grin

NegativeIron Sat 26-Sep-15 21:03:28

Ice cream for pudding, as the Ozzies and Kiwis have. My aunt makes a Christmas pudding one, but they are too little for that, I suspect.

DM always had a summer pudding as an alternative.

My family has fowl haters. So salmon and beef turn up quite often.

Wilhamenawonka Sat 26-Sep-15 21:12:45

I love lamb and so do the minis.
Or just lovely food to nibble on all day could be fun

Tiggeryoubastard Sat 26-Sep-15 21:17:28

My first thought was salmon en croute!
But leave it till the week before, whatever is their fave then, make. Make together with love. But with extra sides. Make more of a deal with the table etc to make it special with yhem, do it the night before. You've got a blank canvas here. Make Christmas your own for all of you. Own it.

peaz Sat 26-Sep-15 22:45:04

This year we are NOT having turkey- hurrah! I'm thinking lamb, although beef wellington is an option.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sat 26-Sep-15 22:48:07

we usually have a rib of beef. you don't have to get a massive one, but if you do it makes the best leftovers.

although DH was working on Xmas day last year, so we did our big meal on the 24th, and I did a buffet on Xmas day. I really liked not being in the kitchen all day - helped it feel very relaxed.

CrumbledFeta Sun 27-Sep-15 08:26:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now