Non toy presents for 5 and 3 yr old

(16 Posts)
ComingRoundTheMountain Mon 17-Aug-15 22:30:44

My docs have every single toy they will ever need already - only grandchildren on both sides so super spoiled plus I may have gone a little over the top myself at times, and their birthdays are both within 6 weeks of Christmas.

So this year we are going to try to get them small stocking type gifts and then the gifts from us/santa will be useful things. The grandparents however like to get things e.g. no vouchers or buying lessons etc.

I have some ideas for helpful things but would love some more. Mine include:

- Fold up chairs for beach/camping (they love ours so we can get them child sized ones)
- New duvet characters (character ones)
- Dvds
- Swimming toys
- Bath toys to replace current mouldy ones
- Party dress for dd

Also have ideas for toys that don't take much room - dd very into arts and crafts for example so some craft sets. Also both my kids (girl is 5, boy is 3) like barbies so a barbie each.

All help appreciated.

306235388 Mon 17-Aug-15 22:35:57

Roll a box sets - let you transform cardboard box into various things

Science sets like volcano etc

Garden toys?

Metal detector, binoculars, telescope, microscope - dd (4) loves these

Nice stuff for their room like fairy lights, pictures, shelves etc

Desk

Rivercam Mon 17-Aug-15 22:36:00

- Subscription to comic, maybe with relevant small toy so they have something to open. Eg. Football comic and a new football.

- character bath towel or fleece blanket eg Peppa pig towel

- dressing up clothes

- books

- kids cooking sets, aprons, recipe books

camtt Mon 17-Aug-15 22:39:02

if you already have a lot of toys, something you can use/ complete and not be left with another box in the cupboard is often good - my DD enjoyed making ceramic fairy fridge magnets one year and I enjoyed the fact that by 11am on Christmas morning the magnets were on the fridge and all packaging in the recycling. Also bath bubbles, kids shampoo etc

Lovelydiscusfish Mon 17-Aug-15 23:09:55

I'm going to get dd (3) a children's camera - there seem to be a few models geared at this age group.

Cooking stuff, if they like to cook?

Gardening stuff? My MIL got dd a raised bed for her birthday - she's had great fun planting things veg, and watching them grow.

Torches? My dd loves torches - she's got three. They're actually the only family torches I can find at the moment, so I took them all camping recently. Handy.

FairyPenguin Tue 18-Aug-15 06:41:24

Arts and crafts things as they always needs replenishing

Character Pyjamas/Towels/Dressing gowns/pants

Dressing up outfits

Magazine subscription

Swimming costume

New game for Leappad

siblingrevelryagain Tue 18-Aug-15 07:04:15

Rucksack/new bag/lunchbag. School aged child will need for trips if not everyday lunches

Hat/scarf/gloves sets

Umbrella

Swimming towels in fave colour/character, or towelling dressing gown/poncho

Stationary-felt tips or pencils, nice pads, pencil cases etc

Room decoration-ceiling stars, pictures/wall stickers etc, or room storage

Buy tickets in advance or arrange family day out for local attraction in the new year. Or theatre tickets for a child's show.

New scooters

Small holdalls or suitcases for if they have sleepovers at grandparents etc

ComingRoundTheMountain Tue 18-Aug-15 13:07:28

Great ideas thanks. Can you link to roll a box sets? Can't find any only but may be being sense.

BrieAndChilli Tue 18-Aug-15 13:14:12

Do you have outside toys? Ours are now 4, 7 and 8 and still play with the playhouse, trampoline, swing, Sandpit and climbing frame.
Bikes
Roller skates
Scooters
You can never have too much craft stuff, dds fave present for her 5th birthday was a giant crisp box (about the size of a small playhouse) and some felt tips from her grandad (conversation had gone: FIL- what does dd want for her birthday. Me- anything you know her she'd be happy with a cardboard box to make into something)
You can buy cardboard rockets and castles etc to decorate yourself

Cooking stuff (proper kids sized
stuff not play stuff)

Binit Tue 18-Aug-15 13:14:16

Jigsaws, board games, stationery.
Decor - rugs, beanbags etc.
Storage boxes for the existing toys.
Sports equipment - football, tennis racket, goggles, new swimwear etc.
Outdoor toys - trampoline, water/sand stuff, pistols, balls.
Dress up clothing, shoes.
Music stuff - recorder, things to bash
Books
Educational stuff - eg globe, microscope
Jewellery

I need to take my own advice. We are submerged in toys and it gets me down now. My DC are older than yours, but not old enough to get rid of the toys. They seriously impact our space.

Lurkedforever1 Tue 18-Aug-15 13:20:30

Definitely the room idea. I did the gloss a few weeks before then I took the day off and redid dds the day of her fourth bday while she was at preschool, she was over the moon. Cost about the same as a few barbies.
Or if that's unnecessary in addition to the lights, lamps etc you get lovely canopies and bed tents. Or if it's something you envisage needing in future, a cabin bed each.
Decent day out to something they'd love but haven't done, like pony trekking or a water park? Or if you're able to provide costly trips as standard, something like the Lapland trip or a wkend at Disney land. (Not that I would dream of it but nothing wrong if you do have a bigger budget)
A big birthday party or hiring something like a bouncy castle if you don't normally?
Good garden stuff or bikes etc?
You getting them some kind of course or club subscription?

NeopreneMermaid Tue 18-Aug-15 13:21:18

Tickets to local panto.

We're in the same (fortunate smile) boat so last year we asked for donations towards Merlin passes (Legoland, Thorpe Park, etc) which have been brilliant. They're expensive at £120-odd each so three sets of grandparents and three sets of aunts/uncles chipped in and we made up the rest.

306235388 Tue 18-Aug-15 13:25:05

type in makedo rolobox

Pixi2 Tue 18-Aug-15 13:27:05

Science kits such as the make your own bath bombs one?
Musical instruments and lessons?
A winter holiday 'voucher' for the period between Christmas Day and the return to school? (Take thrm somewhere for a long week/weekend?)

motherofanearlyfouryearold Tue 18-Aug-15 19:44:51

My mil got my dd a cinema voucher, it had £30 on it and we only go to cheapy ones so it is still going strong!

BikeRunSki Tue 18-Aug-15 19:55:44

Sparkly/bright coloured sneakers - Skeechers, Converse type of thing.

Pens/pencils with their names on. New pencil cases

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now