Thomas Land at Christmas

(15 Posts)
NogbagTheBag Tue 07-Jul-15 10:20:48

I have two DS's who, at Christmas, will be almost 4 and almost 2. I'm thinking of booking Thomas Land as a Christmas outing this year. We've never been before so I have no idea what it's like.

Has anyone been? Are the rides still running at that time of year? Is it worth seeing santa too?

Is it hellish or magical?!

inthenickoftime Tue 07-Jul-15 10:45:52

I haven't been at Christmas time but I have been twice before. Once when DS was 2 and again when he was 3. It's perfect for toddlers. I'm actually looking at going for Christmas myself smile

NogbagTheBag Wed 08-Jul-15 18:54:32

Can young ones go on most the rides? I assumed my eldest would be fine, with me or DH but I am a bit worried one of us will end up holding DS2 and getting a bit bored...

SPARKLYSTARSHINESBRIGHT Wed 08-Jul-15 22:02:01

We live fairly close and have been several times, once at Christmas but prob 5 years ago. If it's still the same then Thomasland rides are open but not the rest of the park. I can't think of any Thomas rides where a parent can't go on with your child, so you should all be able to go on. At Christmas they usually have the Fat Controller singing with some of the other characters and a snow machine which the kids love.

spookyskeleton Wed 08-Jul-15 22:07:33

We went a couple of years ago - it was a lovely day. All of Thomasland was open, the zoo is open to walk around and the Ben 10 ride (but I would think your DC would be to young for that). There is also a 4d cinema which was showing a short version of the Polar Express when we went. You also get a visit to Santa's grotto.

It wasn't at all busy - my 2 just kept going on the Ben 10 ride over and over again as there was no queue! We did go late November so don't know if it gets busier further into December.

Would definitely recommend it smile

MrsBungle Wed 08-Jul-15 22:12:11

We went 2 years ago and were very disappointed to be honest. We went close to Christmas. The rides literally lasted about 30 seconds. No sooner were we on than we were off again. There were also quite big queues so it's not as if the children could just go on again. The queue for Santa was humongous. Queued about an hour with a 3yo and 6 month old.

The 4d polar express was really good though.

I wouldn't go again personally.

Ledkr Wed 08-Jul-15 22:13:55

We went last year and it was lush. We went weekday and it was really quiet and no queues.
We will go again this year.

NogbagTheBag Thu 09-Jul-15 19:29:42

I think we'll probably go on a weekday in term time to try and avoid it being too busy. Glad to hear that the rides are still open and good for all ages.

I think we'll probably give it a go this year then, DS1 will love it and I think DS2 will be quite keen by the time we go!

ThomasRichard Thu 09-Jul-15 19:36:50

I've taken my now 5 and 2yo twice at Christmas. Both loved it: there's fake snow, Christmas decorations and entertainment and the Father Christmas was very good. Several rides were suitable for my then 1yo and DS could go on everything.

NogbagTheBag Thu 09-Jul-15 19:40:58

Yes I think DS1 will mostly be interested in the snow, Fat Controller and the trains!

It's good to hear mostly positive replies, I think if we go and it's busy I'll hate it, which is why I want to go on a weekday. Also we'll maybe do it late Nov/early Dec before the festive onslaught truely begins...

MrsEvadneCake Thu 09-Jul-15 19:43:58

We went last Christmas on a week day in term time. We booked to see Santa at 3.30pm. The rides were busy until about 2pm. There was no queue for Santa and we stayed for the fireworks. It was well worth it and they've opened another part: sodor airport now.

GreatSoprendo Thu 09-Jul-15 22:20:32

Haven't been at Christmas but we went a couple of weeks ago with 2 year old DS. Didn't queue more than a few minutes for anything and lots of rides DS could go on. Their height restrictions are on the website but I think if they are over 90cm they can go on almost all the rides. We thought it was great and will definitely go again. The new airport bit with Jeremy, Harold and Flynn rides was brilliant!

50shadesofknackered Fri 24-Jul-15 12:59:27

we went last year and the year before with dc and it was great, i'd recommend it. we went quite cloe to Christmas both times and while it did get a bit busy its not awful and we didn't have to wait for too long for the rides. All the Thomasland rides were open, along with Ben 10 and the 3D cinema showing the Polar express. You book a time slot to see Santa so we didn't have to wait for long to see him. It was great. We're taking dc's to Lapland UK this year as dc2 is a bit older and they'll both be able to enjoy and remember it, otherwise we'd go back to Tomasland.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 24-Jul-15 13:36:01

We went a few years ago and the Dc really loved it. Can't remember big cues but agree that it does get considerably quieter in the afternoon. We caught the train to the play area, then about 3 we walked through the zoo back to the rides.

Wear super warm clothes though. The day we went was clear but minus 6.

oneowlgirl Fri 24-Jul-15 13:51:41

We've gone lots of times at Christmas & love it. As others have said, all the Thomas rides are open but only Ben 10, carousel & pirate ride are open in the main park (& the zoo is open too).

It's great at Christmas & depending on how cold it is, they have outdoor heaters around the place (but do wrap up warm anyway).

We've gone during the week & at weekends & never really experienced any queues (at least nothing too long). It's brill - well worth a trip!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now