Gift ideas for dd (5.5yrs) who pretty much has everything!

(17 Posts)
Loobylou3 Thu 28-Aug-14 12:04:52

Hi
Being an only child and only grandchild on both sides my very lucky dd has just about everything (and possibly more) than she could want if you know what I mean. She has very generous grandparents and other family members who go a little over board at Christmas /birthdays.
Trying to avoid my house bursting at the seams and come up with some more unusual ideas for gifts this year. My dm has already got her/us panto tickets for Christmas Eve.
Any ideas really appreciated...
Thanks

BrieAndChilli Thu 28-Aug-14 12:10:04

Craft desk?
Build a bear voucher

TreeMugger Thu 28-Aug-14 12:19:13

I have the same dilemma with my 6 and 4 year olds! Some things I've thought of so far are:

A musical instrument - not a toy one, probably a ukelele.
Sponsor an animal
Her own hair dryer (not very exciting but my eldest prefers to dry her own hair now)
Art and craft stuff
A work bench with real tools and some wood and nails
Year long ticket to local animal park
Books (you can never have too many books grin)

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Thu 28-Aug-14 15:00:24

A proper camera
Stilts
Time teaching watch
New swimming bag, costume, swim toys
A science experiments book with a box of all the things you need to do the experiments

KEGirlOnFire Thu 28-Aug-14 16:54:59

Have you got a nice activity centre or zoo near you? Maybe an annual pass for something like that.

How about swimming toys - the sticks to pick up underwater and so on.

Loobylou3 Thu 28-Aug-14 21:02:54

Thanks for the replies. smile

Quenelle Fri 29-Aug-14 10:09:48

We're in a similar situation with 5yo DS.

I think we will do the same as we did for his birthday this year, and take advantage of the fact that he's not really aware yet of the possibilities and just buy him one thing for the tree and a stocking.

For his birthday we bought him the one thing he asked for, a £12 Superman costume, and nothing else. He was over the moon and has worn it loads over the last few months, even taking it on holiday.

There are plenty of years ahead when we will splash out on expensive presents for him but while he doesn't want or need them we'll save our money.

Having said all that, it's hard to persuade grandparents to take the same line isn't it? Would they consider putting money in her savings account?

Loobylou3 Fri 29-Aug-14 10:35:00

Thanks again for replies.

I have found a couple of subscription websites (we already do the toucan fortnightly craft box - which she loves).
Looking at the willoughby book club, the rainy day box co, story box magazine or possibly the National geographic for kids. There is another toucan box which is monthly but need to check if content overlaps with our fortnightly one.
Will keep thinking...but I know my mum will be starting to buy/plan soon!

Loobylou3 Fri 29-Aug-14 10:36:02

Oh and I definitely think a time telling watch is a good idea too, have seen one on john Lewis website so may persue that for other family members.

Biffabin Tue 09-Sep-14 19:11:42

Sponsor an animal usually goes down well, especially if you get one for a local place as it normally includes tickets to go and visit.

Elvish Wed 10-Sep-14 07:26:27

Reading with interest as in a similar position with DD. I think less is more this year, but thanks to the bargain thread I've already filled her stocking blush

Can I ask about the toucan box? What is it please and how much? Thanks!

lavendersun Wed 10-Sep-14 10:03:33

We are in the same position, now 8. One year I made a little garden with a picket fence, tiny fairy doors, pretty planters, set of these

www.forestcrafts.co.uk/store/garden-sculpture/mushroom-seating/garden-seating-mushrooms/showitemGSMS1.aspx

A few nice garden ornament things for children - sprinkled glitter here and there etc., etc..

Loobylou3 Wed 10-Sep-14 13:54:43

Elvish we have the Toucan box that comes every 2 weeks - I think it is about £5. My DD loves getting the boxes which contain everything you need to complete the project. When you sign up you can say which areas interest your child etc.
www.toucanbox.com/boxes should take you to the website...they also do bigger boxes etc.

Elvish Wed 10-Sep-14 14:59:17

Brilliant thank you, I might suggest this for my DM to give - no clutter to fill up my house and hopefully happy memories!

Leeds2 Wed 10-Sep-14 18:47:41

A "proper" bird table for the garden.

Dressing up box with dresses, wigs, glasses, hats, necklaces etc if she doesn't have this already.

I remember my 5 ish year old getting a chunky ELC cassette player, with lots of audio song tapes and audio books. I'm sure there is now a CD equivalent!

Musical jewellery box with lots of accessories (plastic ones!).

JellySnakesLadderedTights Fri 12-Sep-14 23:49:45

Lava Lamp
Dance Mat
Pogo Stick
Illuminated Globe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now