First timer

(5 Posts)
MadameJ Wed 27-Aug-14 08:06:46

So this year I'm hosting Christmas. There will be 7 adults, 1 teen and 3 pre schoolers!
Can anyone advise things that I can do in advance to save time on the big day as I have 2 dd's so don't want to miss out by being stuck in the kitchen all day!

kittyvet Wed 27-Aug-14 08:08:49

Check out BBC good food website. A few years ago they did a prepare ahead menu which was all made up in advance so there was minimal to do on the day and it was delicious!

LadyKooKoo Wed 27-Aug-14 08:26:58

Try and relax and don't stress about it too much. We hosted last year for the first time, 10 adults, 1 teenager and 3 under 6s. I made my puddings on the 23rd (strudel, chocolate log and a trifle). On Christmas Eve I peeled and chopped everything (potatoes, carrots, parsnips, sweet potato) and part boiled them so they were ready to roast on the day. I also had my brussel sprouts, leeks and peas ready in bags to just pour into the pans in the day and my pigs in blanket were in trays ready to go straight in oven. I also had a timetable of when things had to be in/on oven so I didn't forget anything. Only things I started from scratch on the day was the meat and the gravy. It was a brilliant day.

chanie44 Wed 27-Aug-14 09:00:20

Do as much as you can in advance - prep the veg on Xmas eve and leave in water. Cook the meat on Xmas eve and reheat in a bit of gravy.

Use those disposable foil trays to keep washing up to a minimum.

Don't try and do too much in the way of food.

Most supermarkets do prepared dishes, get some of those. I tend to get starters and puddings so I can focus on the dinner.

MadameJ Wed 27-Aug-14 14:44:26

Thanks everyone, I regularly cook the Sunday roast so not sure why I'm so bothered hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now