Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Family present ideas

(12 Posts)
lavendersun Mon 25-Aug-14 19:07:51

What can I buy for a family which includes three teenagers (who have everything and more disposable cash than I have as an adult (and I am not poor!)). I would like to buy one thing for them all to share - £50 ish.

Wait4nothing Mon 25-Aug-14 19:26:03

As teenagers a good board game went down well (especially as we spent lots of the in the house over Christmas) - with you budget you could add snacks ect for a family night in.

Maybe articulate, we had a family fortunes one we enjoyed, cranium.

amyhamster Mon 25-Aug-14 19:26:45

some towns are doing a monopoly board of local areas

PureMorning Mon 25-Aug-14 19:43:23

A rowdy board game goes down well.

The logo game
Pictionary

AtlanticDrift Mon 25-Aug-14 19:54:13

Debenhams did a retro style popcorn maker last year which I though would be a good family gift.

lavendersun Mon 25-Aug-14 20:02:41

Thanks, unless it is a new game I know that they will have every board game known to man.

I will look into the local monopoly though, good idea.

NormHonal Mon 25-Aug-14 20:08:57

A voucher for a meal out, or cinema, or theme park? Help them to make some nice family memories?

lavendersun Mon 25-Aug-14 20:23:04

They are really well off - my gift is a mere token. Over the years I have reduced my budget to 1/4 of its original because there is never any appreciation.

Chottie Mon 25-Aug-14 20:26:06

If there is no appreciation of presents, how about giving a gift in their name to someone who will really appreciate it?

Such as......
Buying a farmer a goat
Paying for a pensioner to go to the hairdressers regularly
Providing suitable clothes for someone to go to an interview
A donation to a local hospice

Barbeasty Mon 25-Aug-14 20:51:07

One SIL has 6 DC, so it's expensive (along with the other 4 neices/ nephews, own DC and other family) to get them all something for Christmas.

Rather than get each of them a token thing which obviously only costs a few pounds, this year I'm getting a Lakeland gingerbread house mould and enough chocolate to make it. To make it interesting I'm planning to wrap it as a pass-the-parcel with a layer for each person.

It's something they can do together, the mould can be used again, and it looks more impressive.

Last year they did a sleigh mould. You could get that, chocolate to make it and some nice chocolates to fill the sleigh when it's done.

lavendersun Mon 25-Aug-14 21:11:26

I continue buying to appease my family to be honest otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I already support four local charities each month and am happy with that so don't want to do anything charity wise.

They would never ever do any of your suggestions Barbeasty - we do in our house but they wouldn't even open the package.

I allocate the money I no longer spend on better seats for us at the ballet .... and really appreciate it!

I am currently thinking of tea, biscuits and sweets from F & M - I could do that for £60 if I don't send it in a hamper.

Chottie Mon 25-Aug-14 23:59:06

I'm wondering why you continue to buy presents for this family? Could you have the 'conversation' with them and both agree to stop buying Christmas presents?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now