Helping guests feel at home

(15 Posts)
xalyssx Mon 25-Aug-14 16:17:24

This year at Christmas there will be me, DP aged 29, DS1 aged 3, DS2 aged 9months, and DS1's dad, Steve, aged 24. He will be staying Christmas Eve night, and probably Christmas Day night too. This will be his first Christmas away from home as he has aspergers. At his parents' house, he will have 'Twas The Night Before Christmas read to him on Christmas Eve, and when he wakes up on Christmas morning he has a stocking in his parents' bed. When he stays with us, he will read TTNBC to DS1, so that's been taken into consideration, but I really don't know what to do about the stocking!
DS1 and DS2 are having a big stocking of bath toys from Santa, and DP and I weren't going to have anything. If I was doing a traditional stocking for the kids, then Steve would get one as well, but I would feel weird doing one for him and not DP. So I could either do just the kids, or everyone I guess. Although the things I would normally put in a grown-up's stocking, I'm putting in the CEH the night before, which Steve would be taking part in. What do other people think?

Sunna Mon 25-Aug-14 16:26:24

I'm very confused about who's who here. Please explain more clearly who is DS1's Dad and who is away from home for the first time?

Secretblackandmidnighthag Mon 25-Aug-14 16:38:48

The way I read this is that DS1's dad Steve has a story on Christmas Eve and then a stocking in his parents' bed? Or am I getting confused. If this is right, then I guess what you could do, along with his parents, is explain in advance how everything is going to be? And then plan it however you like, but stuck to the plan. Stockings for all sounds good. I'm sure someone who has experience with sn will have suggestions.

Secretblackandmidnighthag Mon 25-Aug-14 16:39:04

*stick to the plan!

xalyssx Mon 25-Aug-14 17:43:13

I'm hosting, DP DS1 DS2 are here anyway, Steve is staying over without his parents. What sort of things should I put in an adult's stocking? Would a book, a DVD and a t-shirt be ok? Along with nuts and a terry's chocolate orange maybe.

I'm not sure I understand the family set up, but you idea for an adult stocking sounds fine.

A few other suggestions for an adult stocking might be toiletries, a magazine (a film or computer one maybe?), a little torch, a fire striker, hat and gloves, socks, nice coffee.

chanie44 Mon 25-Aug-14 20:23:01

Sorry, I don't understand the set up either.

I do adult stockings, mainly for the children, but I do buy mine and OH's stockings as well.

It's normally small bits and pieces like socks, toiletries, chocolate selection box, books, etc.

IAMACLANGER Mon 25-Aug-14 20:48:17

Think I've got it.
Steve is DS1's dad. Steve has aspergers. Steve never been away for Xmas before, and his family have certain rituals. This year Steve will be with you are your current DP so that Steve can spend Xmas with his son (your DS1) as well you and your current partners child (DS2).
What you've suggested sounds good, however if the stocking is important to Steve, can't you ask his parents to supply you the stocking they normally do for him (they can put the gifts in too). I will just assume he won't have it in bed with you and your current DP, but with both the DC.
Huge apologies if I've got that all wrong.

waithorse Mon 25-Aug-14 20:52:05

I'm also very confused by who Steve is. But I do dh a stocking and it always goes down well. You've also got some good idea's.

waithorse Mon 25-Aug-14 20:52:56

That makes sence IAm.

Sunna Mon 25-Aug-14 21:22:02

But why does a 24 year old get read to and have a stocking in his parents' bed?

DollyMixture99 Mon 25-Aug-14 21:25:52

Why on earth does a 24 year old man get read to and have a stocking in his parents' bed?

xalyssx Mon 25-Aug-14 21:44:32

Steve has aspergers, which is like autism basically.

Secretblackandmidnighthag Mon 25-Aug-14 22:01:45

Oh good idea about getting his parents to send their usual stocking clanger

I got it all the first time.

I think Steves parents providing the stocking idea is the best. He could perhaps skype them as he is opening it? So that routine stays quite familiar?

But otherwise, yes, stockings for everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now