right, I want a real tree this year

(26 Posts)
Frusso Sun 24-Aug-14 16:29:50

When is the best time to get one? And which are the best type to get?

PPaka Sun 24-Aug-14 16:35:11

Christmastreeland

I was very wary of ordering online- but they are beautiful trees- had one for the last 4 years

MrsDavidBowie Sun 24-Aug-14 16:37:56

My one concession to decoration is a real tree. Get it @ 15th Dec but it is down new years day.
H gets it locally..always lovely.

NorwaySpruce Sun 24-Aug-14 16:42:19

Honestly? Homebase.

We have a Christmas tree farm a few miles away (£££), various parking lot style places, and huge numbers of garden centres (also £££).

Most years we go to Homebase, and buy a 7ft +, non needle-drop tree for about £45.

We buy it the last weekend in November, don't bother watering it, and it lasts to the 6th January.

Fabulous.

KellyElly Sun 24-Aug-14 16:43:49

I usually get mine the second weekend in December. I order from thegoodelf and the trees are beautiful and come with a stand. They are quite expensive with delivery etc. you could probably get good ones from local garden centres.

Mrsgrumble Sun 24-Aug-14 16:45:18

Ikea give you a voucher for January so think I might go down that route this year.

I'm not sure for this year. Year before last ours dropped terribly so last year I bought a new artificial one. Really nice.

Wondering about this year again as have family coming. Might compromise and buy a small real table top one for the dining room. Although I did an artful arrangement of twigs last year which was lovely.

MagpieMama Sun 24-Aug-14 16:48:47

I also get mine from homebase. We get it the first Saturday of December and it always lasts really well.

Frusso Sun 24-Aug-14 17:06:33

Thank you. I guess I need to find out where my nearest homebase is,

Am buying a huge posh prelit tree this year after hearing how many bugs DH has been bringing in every year in the bloody real tree he insists on having. Then leaving me to decorate and afterwards dispose of!

Thousands of the critters!! Bleugh!!!

Am buying a huge posh prelit tree this year after hearing how many bugs DH has been bringing in every year in the bloody real tree he insists on having. Then leaving me to decorate and afterwards dispose of!

Thousands of the critters!! Bleugh!!!

0pheliaBalls Sun 24-Aug-14 17:46:58

Bugs? Really? I was dead set on a real tree this year but if they're buggy, bollocks to that idea.

I have a nice enough artificial one with berries and fir cones on it, but it's looking a bit threadbare and tatty. I think I'll splash out on a really lovely new one - anyone know where I can get a good, believable one for non silly money? I like the stumpy, wide ones as opposed to the classic thinner fake Christmas tree shape, iyswim. Got my last one from a shop that is no more, sadly.

PPaka Sun 24-Aug-14 17:48:19

I've never seen any bugs on a real tree?!

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Sun 24-Aug-14 18:43:50

Supposedly John Lewis will be doing real trees this year!

I hate bugs, we always have a real tree though and all I've ever encountered is the occasional small spider.

Bugs and sap are a sign of a nice fresh tree. I get my dad to chop one down a deliver it to me grin

Katieweasel Sun 24-Aug-14 18:56:36

We always have a real tree. We gets ours from a local farm. Normally costs around £45. I buy one of those savings tins and pop a £1 in each week so I don't notice the cost. It is an expense and you can get some really lovely fake trees but I just love the smell of a real tree. We buy ours the second week in December. We water it but only because we have to put it near the radiator. Always lasts until the New Year.

caroldecker Sun 24-Aug-14 19:13:42

IKEA Have done this for the last 2 years, good trees and cheaper than most places

polomoomin Sun 24-Aug-14 19:14:35

I buy ours from sendmeachristmastree.com every year now. First year I got it from pines and needles but it cost more and it was a really skinny tree, very underwhelming. The ones from send me a Xmas tree are beautiful and bushy, just how I like 'em wink. Get ours delivered 30th November every year and it gets taken down usually New Years. By the time it's taken down there are a few bare branches but at Christmas it still looks stunning and drop isn't too bad, just water it regularly.

scaevola Sun 24-Aug-14 19:16:58

If you want it to last properly through to TwelfthNight, then get it no earlier than about 15th December (ideally later).

We get ours from a local stall that pops up every year.

dollybean Sun 24-Aug-14 20:39:26

I always have a real tree and having had lots of different ones over the years, for me a fraser fir is the clear winner. Lovely shape, holds needles extremely well and its branches don't droop after a week like the noble/ nordman. It also has a much bigger capacity for weight bearing so you can load it up to the max grin Last years tree still looked great after 3 weeks!

I have been told that most trees are actually cut at the time ready for the xmas season so leaving it til later does not necessarily mean fresher.......something to think about perhaps. We just buy ours locally smile

AtlanticDrift Sun 24-Aug-14 22:43:54

I get mine from local fruit & veg shop. I used to leave it later to buy but then realised they're all cut from same time in November anyway. I buy a Norway Fir. Invest in a good stand that keeps it steady. I also have a can if florist shine spray. Its to keep foilage looking shiny and lush in arrangements and bouquets, but spraying the tree with it keeps in looking fresh

Barbeasty Mon 25-Aug-14 08:44:34

We travel 40 miles to a garden centre. Their trees are really good and they sell an amazing stand which is basically a spike with water tray and feet. They drill a hole in the trunk so it sits nice and straight on the spike.

Having bought the stand & first tree over 15 years ago, and despite moving house 4 times, we still go back because we haven't found anywhere nearer that drills them and I don't trust DH to drill it straight himself

CointreauVersial Mon 25-Aug-14 18:43:04

Don't do it.

We have an excellent fake one we've used for the last 15-odd years. Last year we were hosting Christmas, so decided to buy a real one.

The damned thing cost a bomb and started shedding needles almost as soon as we got it home. Every time anyone walked past, touched it, or slammed a door there was a shower of needles. Then the ornaments started falling off, as there were no needles to hold them on.

It was basically a skeleton by Christmas Day. By 9am on Boxing Day I had had enough, and dragged it into the back garden. I was still finding needles months later (one down my knickers hmm ).

Back to our lovely fake this year.

BrieAndChilli Mon 25-Aug-14 18:54:22

They sell them in the forest in the next village over so we all go up and choose a tree and then they wrap it for us, kids love choosing one and it feels much nicer getting it from the woods rather than a shop.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Mon 25-Aug-14 22:52:22

We always get one quite early and it lasts till Christmas just fine. But, last year's had squillions of little bugs and I'm not sure my nerves would cope with it again, so seriously considering a good quality fake one this year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now