buying all handmade

(37 Posts)
GirlAnachronism Thu 21-Aug-14 10:40:30

this year i thought i would try to buy the majority of presents from small businesses (mainly online) doing well so far, 3 presents so far. Is anyone else doing something like this? My favourite so far is a little Coraline doll for my daughter from a fab crochet page on facebook. I don't know if its allowed but could we share small facebook/etsy businesses on here if we find something gorgeous?

MTWTFSS Thu 21-Aug-14 11:06:19

Thanks smile I am trying to buy mostly from small businesses so a directory + reviews on here would be very useful smile

WildFlowersAttractBees Thu 21-Aug-14 12:24:20

I did this a few years ago... all small businesses except for some children's gifts.

Not on the high street became my friend as I had a newborn at home!

Marking place. I keep an eye on this FB page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Handmade-Christmas/239865002803147?fref=ts

today I earmarked a page for handmade PJ's for my children on this page https://www.facebook.com/CharleneKellyBoutique

Love this idea. I already bought some handmade decorations off ebay!

GirlAnachronism Thu 21-Aug-14 14:47:15

the page i bought the crocheted items is here

my dd got a pony for her birthday from this lady and the work was amazing, very well priced as well. I always feel i'm buying something special when i go handmade x keep the links coming, can't wait to browse them later!

GirlAnachronism Thu 21-Aug-14 14:50:16

theres a locket on NOTHS that I'm after for my DM, its a little sphere with a message inside, sort of thing she would love and she is so difficult to buy for!

notoneforselfies Thu 21-Aug-14 14:51:05

Speaking as a noths seller, please try and google the seller before you buy to see if you can actually buy direct or through etsy. They charge 25% (as opposed to 3% on etsy) so your support will go much further! (And you'll often find it's cheaper as a result)

notoneforselfies Thu 21-Aug-14 14:52:28

(Those charges being their commission)

GirlAnachronism Thu 21-Aug-14 15:49:54

ooh thankyou notoneforselfies, didn't know that about the 25%, seems a bit steep as I know the set up costs to be a seller on NOTHS is quite high as well. Do pm me a link to your work though! I love window shopping while my bum is firmly parked on le sofa

GirlAnachronism Thu 21-Aug-14 15:50:14

or link here would be better actually!

Skoggy Thu 21-Aug-14 16:40:42

I'm doing the same thing. There are so many beautiful crafters out there and such a variety. I've already made a start with joining various networks and communities on ye ole Facebook who display lots of Christmas stuff.

GirlAnachronism Thu 21-Aug-14 16:43:39

brilliant skoggy I'm actually finding that I'm spending less as well, and finding something really perfect rather than buying random tat for people. Feels a lot more festive (even though we're in august) than just hitting the city centre (and less stressful too)

Skoggy Thu 21-Aug-14 16:49:27

I think getting commissions done etc. are fantastic because you can get exactly what you want.
Other than clothing gifts, I'm trying to steer clear of the high street (same goes throughout the year even, birthdays etc.)

GirlAnachronism Thu 21-Aug-14 16:51:51

some stocking fillers will be coming from here https://www.facebook.com/ukcandysushi?fref=ts they look like something out of a fairytale!

There was a similar thread last year, lots of good info, must look through it again myself. I didn't know that about NOTHS either, I've bought a couple of things through them recently.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/Christmas/1903600-Christmas-off-the-high-street-suggestions-for-artisanal-original-or-unique-locally-made-gifts-go-here?msgid=42923578

notoneforselfies Thu 21-Aug-14 16:53:04

Ah girlachronism - I forgot to nc and don't want to out myself but hopefully someone will stumble across my stuff and link on my behalf (and I'll struggle not to shriek "it's me!" excitedly)

GirlAnachronism Thu 21-Aug-14 16:56:44

i found the locket on the ladys etsy page so will be getting it from there smile

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Thu 21-Aug-14 17:00:21

Can I post a couple of friends pages? I've got a friend who makes alternative style kids things, I especially love the personalised appliqué things for kids spookshowangel.com/collections/children-baby/kids-clothes
And another friend who makes Waldorf dolls. They aren't cheap but they are beautiful and amazing quality. I bought a snuggle buddy (little doll) from her for my DN and it's lovely https://www.etsy.com/shop/UnderRainbows

evilgiraffe Thu 21-Aug-14 17:03:10

Kannik jewellery - pretty and ideal for Christmas! Alternative link.

GirlAnachronism Thu 21-Aug-14 17:08:46

those dolls are simply beautiful Ehric

GirlAnachronism Thu 21-Aug-14 17:11:03

Kannik is stunning, they almost look like those leaves that have been dipped in gold/silver/etc

keep it coming, the work out there is just incredible!

GirlAnachronism Fri 22-Aug-14 09:11:04

came across these last night and thought they would be worth a mention! they look fab :D her shop seems to be on holiday right now, linking the NOTHS one, but checked and she does have an etsy one too! Thanks for the heads up on that tip notoneforselfies would rather the crafter got the most money rather than the website

GirlAnachronism Fri 22-Aug-14 09:12:10

would help if i put the link blush

www.notonthehighstreet.com/houseofwhatnot

embroidered vintage maps and photos

WildFlowersAttractBees Fri 22-Aug-14 09:54:30

I got DD(2) a long sleeved top from [[ https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.247545985281110.52719.237953676240341&type=3 LuLu and Buttons]] last year. Beautiful quality and still going strong.
I got a red polka dot fabric letter to make it usable all year but still festive.

WildFlowersAttractBees Fri 22-Aug-14 09:55:04

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now