What are your 9/10yr old boys getting?

(37 Posts)
Whatsonemore Thu 14-Aug-14 07:55:18

I'm stuck as to what to buy DS for Xmas - his birthday is the week before and we have settled on the Harry Potter Tour with a small token gift to open, bit for Xmas I'm stuck!

It's the first year we have 3 others to buy for also so he has been warned that the present quantity will be lowered so id like to make the effort to make the presents he does get more special.

He's into drawing, wii u, Lego and minecraft hmm and that's almost it!

So my uninspired list is:

Lego set
Minecraft hoodie
Wii game
Art easel and art set (grown up version)

Help!!

dollybean Thu 14-Aug-14 15:07:25

We're in the same boat- ds1 will be 9 in November and we are really stuck for ideas. Minecraft hoodie is a great one, I'm definitely pinching it grin I have the same uninspired list.

The new FIFA comes out at the end of September so mine will also want that [grrr]. We got him a lava lamp for his room last year and he loves it! Turned out to be the surprise hit out of all his presents.

Whatsonemore Thu 14-Aug-14 16:46:58

Oooh a lava lamp is on my amazon list just wasn't sure if he would like it! Will order it tho if it's a hit!

dollybean Thu 14-Aug-14 17:12:16

I wanted to get him something 'cool' for his bedroom! We also got him a lego poster and put it in a frame from ikea- inexpensive way of adding bulk grin

Whatsonemore Thu 14-Aug-14 17:17:24

Another great idea!!! Last year he got an iPad mini as he has ASD and finds some of the apps quite useful for maths etc - but now he thanks that all presents are as amazing / expensive hmm

dollybean Thu 14-Aug-14 17:19:33

I wanted to get him something 'cool' for his bedroom! We also got him a lego poster and put it in a frame from ikea- inexpensive way of adding bulk grin

dollybean Thu 14-Aug-14 17:22:47

Sorry ipad got a mind of its own confused we got ds an ipod touch for his birthday last year. We had put off buying that sort of thing for ages because of course once you start...

I8toys Thu 14-Aug-14 18:25:18

In same boat - pinching the minecraft hoodie - got some t shirts from argos - glow in the dark for 7.99, animal totem �4.99 and a creeper head for �10 - ideal for halloween (my son's birthday!). Pinching the lava lamp idea.

He will want Disney Infinity Marvel Heroes and the new Skylander Trap Team on Wi U which looks good. On Amazon there are loads of new Wi U games coming out for Mario etc.

zipzap Thu 14-Aug-14 18:32:14

Have you been watching the Christmas bargain threads?

Current one to be found here:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/Christmas/2153141-Christmas-bargrain-thread-4-massive-sale-with-loads-of-tits-and-a-preclit-christmas-tree?

I was following them last year and managed to save hundreds on my presents grin

In fact I still have some that I didn't use from last year that I've put aside for birthdays and this year (things like managing to get big lego base boards for £4 instead of £10, the Kurio tablet I wanted from my dc for £45 instead of £160, lego/playmobil with 70% off etc). My mum told me off for buying too much for my dc and said I should have been more restrained like my dsis was for her dc - kind of blew her argument out of the water when I pointed out that I'd spent considerably less per child than my dsis had...

There are already some good bargains people have spotted, although I haven't been following too closely yet as I don't want to buy too much this year. But from memory, there have been all sorts of minecraft things mentioned (including a set of plush characters for less than a tenner) and last year if you followed the play.com they had daily offers on from about september and hoodies came up quite regularly at half price. Plus it gives some great ideas of things that you would never have thought about including bargains that are only a pound or two and ideal for stockings etc

There was a rope bracelet (sorry, i forgot, it's a wrist band for boys grin) that looked like it would be cool as you could use the rope for things, multi gadget thingys, finger lights (my ds (9) loved his last year and wants more this year), cool stationery and art supplies, and loads more that all looked good for 9 yr old boys!

cungryhatterpillar Thu 14-Aug-14 18:36:11

Hp tour is an excellent idea as is the minecraft hoody thank you.

I will be getting a powerball www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/powerball-hand-held-gyroscope-250hz/rp-prod8440? And some joke stuff (whopee cushion, fake sick etc)

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 15-Aug-14 23:49:53

Just marking my place as I haven't got a clue for my DS smile

aubreye Fri 15-Aug-14 23:56:44

DS is turning 10 in September, we are getting him a new bike, but he's started showing an interest in what clothes he wears so maybe I'll get him some clothes for X-MAS I'm not sure yet. I'm very stuck at the moment for X-MAS!!!

FloozeyLoozey Fri 15-Aug-14 23:58:40

Ds is nine in January. From me, his main present will either be an xbox one or ps4, he hasn't decided yet.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 16-Aug-14 00:08:59

What's the giroscope for cungry?

cungryhatterpillar Sat 16-Aug-14 19:47:48

The gyroscope is inside a ball - you set it going and it's hard to move - like something much heavier. My ds wants one as it's a cool kinda gadget and he can use it to improve his lower and uppper arm strength, which is useful for the sports he does.

A good alternative to a lava lamp is a plasma ball

Have you considered a Swiss Army knife?

DitzyDonkey Sat 16-Aug-14 22:27:18

That plasma ball is brilliant! I'm going to order that for my 8 yr old ds. It's a nice unexpected gift!

wfrances Sat 16-Aug-14 22:44:56

ds 11 xmas eve , would like a bike.

aubreye Wed 20-Aug-14 22:11:33

DS is turning 10 in late September so here is a list of things he is getting;
-New bike- from me and DH
-Set of two Nerf guns- from FIL and MIL
-A pair of navy converses- from my mother
-A new XBox game- from SIL and her family (she has a son who is helping her choose one)
- A new baseball bat and mitt- from one my brothers (lives in US and son has been great at baseball every time we go and visit them and brother came up with this idea)
-iTunes £20 gift card- from another one of my three brothers
-A nike sports duffel bag- from the third of my brothers
(Some money from other relatives)
For Christmas so far it's;

-New Head Tennis Racket, something from TopShop (saw him looking online last night (he's tall for his age so would fit an XS T-Shirt - Me and DH
-New astro studs for his football boots- from MIL and FIL

In his stocking we were thinking some new picks for his guitar.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 20-Aug-14 23:07:04

Think we might go for the bike too, mainly because he's nearly tall enough for mine and I don't want to lose it! grin

Does he enjoy reading? There are some fabulous minecraft books out there. Bet book people do a good deal. Ds' most successful presents last year ( other than lego) were various annuals. I think he had the beano, dr who and horrible histories ones and I got them all on buy one get one half price from Tesco I think.

dementedma Mon 25-Aug-14 20:29:10

Bear Grylls survival stuff was popular with Ds.

Miren Mon 25-Aug-14 22:42:05

Marking place!

306235388 Mon 25-Aug-14 22:53:53

cungry Ds is turning 8 at Xmas do you think he's too young for the gyroscope? It sounds good because he is hyper mobile and needs to strengthen his upper limb muscles

simpson Mon 25-Aug-14 23:46:34

DS is 9 next week and is getting (for Xmas) Samsung tab 3 (7 inch) reduced to £100, remote controlled flying helicopter (thanks to bargain Xmas thread), a book on mine craft and a stocking (filled with bargains from the Xmas bargain thread).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now