hamper fillers

(12 Posts)
bimbobaggins Thu 14-Aug-14 22:05:54

Marks and spencers usually bring out a christmas range of teabags, jams etc. usually looks nice in a hamper. Quite often 3 for 2

Szeli Thu 14-Aug-14 10:42:08

*15p jars

BiddyPop Thu 14-Aug-14 10:08:01

If you think they'd like it, you could always do some of the Ma made marmalade with a spot of whiskey added in, or something similar. Either the whole thing, or bottle off half the batch into jars, add a drop of whiskey to the rest and mix well, then bottle the rest (having clearly labeled the different jars). I know my Grandad used to love marmalade with whiskey in it, while Grandmother much preferred plain. (Me, I prefer bitter and loads of thick peel, whiskey is optional!!).

I made home made shortbread biscuits last year which went down very well. Bought a cute Christmas tree cutter and some edible glitter which I mixed in with the sugar I sprinkled on the top. Cheap as chips and will take up some space in your hamper.

Szeli Wed 13-Aug-14 20:43:00

on the advice of a bride of mine, i was thinking 15p smartprice whatever bought in bulk to make something fresher.

we have plenty of wild blackberries about, sadly cut down all the gooseberries, raspberries and blackcurrants but i have plenty of plums and apples (come autumn)

will nosy at the orange gloop, thanks!

A day furiously picking berries at a pick your own place will reduce the cost. Even better if you can find a supply of wild blackberries!

Ma made orange gunk from Hartleys is a cheap way to make tons of marmalade. You add sugar and water to it and stir until you have marmalade, maybe a cheat by very bargainous.

It's a bit early in the year yet, but sloe gin is easy. You pick the slows wild, so free, and you can use cheap gin (and put into small bottles to spread through the hampers). There are loads of recipes online.

I think the most expensive bit is finding suitable jars and bottles, so start collecting empty ones now.

Petallic Wed 13-Aug-14 19:01:30

Honeycomb is also easy / cheap to make - get your fancy cellophane from eBay and don't make too far in advance as it will go soft/sticky.

Petallic Wed 13-Aug-14 19:00:27

blackberries are abundant at the mo and free if you pick in the right places. Then you just have the sugar and jar cost. Another thread had a website link to a shop called something like jam jars and the jars started at 39p which seems a good price.

Szeli Wed 13-Aug-14 18:32:24

the best we can do for garden centres is homebase sad

thanks tho! think this may be harder than first thought - least i have some time!

landwhale Tue 12-Aug-14 22:50:07

My local wyevale garden centre had all of their food and drink staff half price a week or so as they were changing supplier. I got a load of stuff with long expiry's to put in a hamper for sil. All 'interesting'/different too.. Eg, gourmet ice cream/pudding sauce, blue popcorn, passion fruit tea. She's into that sorta thing though! There was also lots of traditional sweets and shortbread! Not sure if it's nationwide but worth a look if you have one local?

chanie44 Tue 12-Aug-14 20:39:07

If you know what you are doing I terms of making jams and pickles and you make loads, you could save money. I think the glass hard and soft fruit will work out expensive.

I think you could make a couple if cheaper items like peppermint creams and chocolate truffles as I've seen recipes with a couple if items each.

The best way to save money is to start buying items with long expiry dates now. So, if you see a buy one, get one free for a good price, then thst will do two hampers. Nearer to Xmas, the prices will go up, so stock up whilst you can.

Szeli Tue 12-Aug-14 18:57:17

considering hampers for all older relatives this year in an effort to spread funds further. large joint ones for each parental set and smaller ones for grannies/aunties.

is it worth attempting to make our own jam/pickle/fudge/peppermint creams etc or will it cost the same in the shops?

if it is cheaper in your experience any other ideas for diy fillers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now