Dinosaurs for 2yo

(24 Posts)
SquattingNeville Fri 08-Aug-14 21:44:07

Hi all!

I'm looking for some 2 year old appropriate dinosaur toys for DS this Christmas but don't know where to start looking. Does anyone else have dino-daft children that they've had to buy for?

Thanks (and thanks for nothing, George Pig wink)

DearGirl Fri 08-Aug-14 21:45:24

My godson has a lovely collection of interactive dinosaurs [Google - dinosaur train]

MorphineDreams Fri 08-Aug-14 21:47:18

I googled Dinosaur Toys for Kids and found absolutely loads, you can get them really cheap too. As long as they're not small enough to swallow and are made out of a material thats safe to chew on (if he's still a i'll-put-everything-in-my-mouth-first kid) they'll not be hard to find

My brother was obsessed with dinosaurs and we used to trawl charity shops for them, he loved them.

Thurlow Fri 08-Aug-14 21:47:36

We've been buying the squishy rubbery ones that you get for a few pound. Indestructible and can go in the bath. Dinosaurs like baths, don't you know?

But for the best fun, if you're anywhere near Norfolk, go to Dinosaur Adventure!

MorphineDreams Fri 08-Aug-14 21:48:20

Mothercare have a GIANT INFLATABLE DINOSAUR

SquattingNeville Fri 08-Aug-14 22:09:51

Ah I hadn't thought of searching the charity shops for them! That's a good idea smile

Thurlow how squishy are we talking? I had seen some dinosaurs in M&S that were quite cheap (£3.50) and the Schleich ones but they're quite expensive solid and I was worried he'd be a bit too young for them straight away (and take out a cousin's eye with their tails).

I just did a quick google of Dinosaur Adventure and it looks great! We're in Scotland so next time we're down that neck of the woods we'll have to check it out.

I'm very tempted by the idea of an inflatable!

LokiBear Fri 08-Aug-14 22:24:01

You can buy both the dinosaur from Toy Story and peppa pig. They are cuddly rather than plastic. My DD aged 3 loves them.

PinkSquash Fri 08-Aug-14 22:49:45

We have an ELC set of dinosaurs that DS2 loves, they are very hardy, which helps dinosaur survival immensely.

Starfisher09 Sat 09-Aug-14 07:57:15

Got some squidgey dinosaurs from ebay and they are lovely, big but not hard. My DS is delighted, just put large rubber dino and loads come up.

Mumof3xox Sat 09-Aug-14 07:58:43

We have the large elc ones about £8 each

Asda have some in at the moment too

TobyZiegler Sat 09-Aug-14 08:02:28

My DS loves dinosaur train. There quite a few toys out there. Playmobil do a good dinosaur range but you might feel yours is a bit young for playmobil. Schleich do dinosaurs but they can be pricey.

tiredteddy Sat 09-Aug-14 08:26:17

What about the imaginext dinosaurs. They say 3-8 as an age guide but fine for a two years and maybe greater longevity as a toy? Mine had them and other imaginext toys and still play with them at 6&9.

Stinkyfeet Sat 09-Aug-14 08:32:25

Shop 4 Dinosaurs is a good place to look for dino stuff!

vvviola Sat 09-Aug-14 08:33:23

Oh god not dinosaur train!! The bloody things talk to each other in the toy basket and frighten the life out of me grin

DD2 (almost 3) is obsessed with dinosaurs too. Biggest hit here so far has been giant inflatable dinosaurs thanks MIL and I console myself that at least they can be deflated when the novelty wears off.

vvviola Sat 09-Aug-14 08:35:52

Oh, and we also got a dinosaur sleepsuit for DD (it's winter here). Went down really well AND prevented a few bedtime battles. If I was buying a load of dinosaur things for her birthday or Christmas I'd definitely do that again.

mistyegg Sat 09-Aug-14 08:37:11

My DS got this one when he was 2 - it's nice, soft and big!

SquattingNeville Sat 09-Aug-14 10:44:26

Thanks for all the help smile lots of ideas to go on my research list that I'm making before deciding on what to actually buy! I totally see the point about the longevity of the Imaginext or Playmobil sets with him growing into them. Though Tristan the T-Rex is very very cute... grin

Happy land dinosaurs and cave men are fab.

Lovelydiscusfish Sat 09-Aug-14 18:34:29

I got dd (2.4) a couple of dinosaurs from a market in France. They are tough plastic, about the size of a rat, and seem quite realistic (not that I know anything about dinosaurs), and were about 3 Euros each. I assume they do the same type of things on markets and in cheap shops in England, as she maintains that her best friend at nursery has the same ones.

dustybinlydia Sat 27-Sep-14 20:20:54

I know this is an old thread but, if you are still looking, jojomamanbebe are selling some great knitted dinosaurs.

TortillasAndChocolate Sat 27-Sep-14 22:07:52

My 3 year old is mad about dinosaurs so will check some of these ideas out. He's got one of the dinosaur train dinosaurs so maybe I should get him another one so they interact.

Elmersnewfriend Sat 27-Sep-14 22:12:05

My Ds was mad on dinosaurs at that age, and loved the vtech dinos. They are often on offer at Amazon / debenhams etc!

Dd1 is now 3 but has been keen on dinosaur for a while. Successful presents for her have been:

A bag of cheap plastic dinosaurs from local shop (much the most used of her large collection of dinos)
Dinosaur dress up tail from eBay
Usbourne big book of dinosaurs
Harry and the bucketful of dinosaurs book and dvd
Cuddly steggy the stegasaurus from amazon
Dino valley toy from Sainsbury - like a slot together dinosaur world for her dinos to inhabit

For Christmas I'm putting some secondhand schleich dinos in a plastic bucket a la Harry.

I forgot some other dinosaur successes!

Dinosaur pyjamas from mothercare
Dinosaur peg puzzle and jigsaws

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now