Lapland trip - wwyd?

(23 Posts)
FoxSticks Fri 01-Aug-14 12:21:46

Our incredibly lovely in laws are offering to take the family to lapland for a daytrip or overnight trip. The children on the trip would be sister and BIL with a 6yr 8mth old and a 3yr and 4 month old and my dd who will be 3. The tricky part is I am due early October with number two. Looking at temperatures in December it's between -7 and -35, IL's are saying the travel company don't recommend young babies are taken. A family member has offered to take baby for the day but I'm not sure I would want to leave my baby that young plus they might be a bottle refuser like number one. I am sure my daughter would have a lovely time but am not convinced she will remember the trip, I think the only child who would remember the trip is the oldest one, they think if they leave it another couple of years it won't be as magical for him as he will know the big Christmas secret by then. Does it even matter that my dd probably won't remember the trip as long as she has a wonderful trip?

Would you go and leave baby, miss out on the trip and stay with baby or say it's a lovely gesture but we as a family would prefer to wait a couple of years? I think the obvious answer is I stay at home but I guess im a bit sad at the thought of missing that experience with dd.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 01-Aug-14 12:39:54

I think you should let your DD go. It doesn't matter if she doesn't remember it. She'll have a lovely time and they'll be lots of photos and talk of it in years to come so even if she doesn't actually remember it, she'll know that she had this lovely experience with her grandparents.

I would stay at home with the baby and let her go with DH. There is nothing wrong with leaving the baby though, if you'd prefer that.

fairgame Fri 01-Aug-14 12:49:03

I went to lapland 2 years ago. We stayed for 3 nights and it was fantastic. I found talking to other families that the younger kids struggled a lot with the cold, it was -25c while we were there. There seemed to be a lot of crying toddler's and the older kids got much more out of it.
It will be a lot to do in a day, the flights are 4 hours each way and it's dark all day there so it feels like a long day!
Ds was 7 when we went and I would definitely go again it was the best Christmas ever.

fairgame Fri 01-Aug-14 12:49:47

Sorry flights are 3 hours each way not 4!

FoxSticks Fri 01-Aug-14 14:18:40

I think you're right outraged I'm just sad to miss having thag experience with dd. I think maybe my hormones are making me extra sad about it though.

Based on what you have said am I right in thinking at 3 my daughter might be a little too small to fully enjoy it?

I was talking to DH about it over lunch as he is the one who thinks we shouldn't go. I think I've pursuaded him that we should save up and hopefully go as a family in four years time.

FoxSticks Fri 01-Aug-14 14:20:52

Sorry, I should have said - Based on what you have said am I right in thinking at 3 my daughter might be a little too small to fully enjoy it fairgame?

Plus conversation at lunch was DH and DD should go with PIL and we will hopefully all go together in the future.

ajandjjmum Fri 01-Aug-14 14:25:37

We went when my DC were 10 and 11, together with a 5 year old and a 3 year old. The 3 year old was really uncomfortable with the cold, and didn't enjoy it as much as he would have done a year or two later.

Is there a reason why your PIL want to do it this year?

FoxSticks Fri 01-Aug-14 14:33:32

I think they think the older one wouldn't enjoy it as much in a years time if he knew FC wasn't real, and the magic would be gone for him. I do wonder though how the younger two will find it. It's tricky because they are looking for the optimum time to take the three kids.

fairgame Fri 01-Aug-14 14:36:14

Judging from what other families were experiencing with their little ones being too cold, i think 3 might be too a little too young.
Personally i wouldn't take a 3 year old. Firstly because its ridiculously cold, secondly because it will be such an exhausting day if you do the day trip and thirdly because she will probably appreciate it more when she is older.

FoxSticks Fri 01-Aug-14 14:44:16

It's a tough one - I don't want to offend my PIL by voicing doubt. They are being so generous and are really excited about it. If I'm lucky my sister and BIL might voice concern over their youngest and suggest leaving it a year then the decision will be out of my hands!

KnittedJimmyChoos Fri 01-Aug-14 19:41:31

what a shame they cant wait a year or two so you can all go adn all enjoy it?

FoxSticks Fri 01-Aug-14 19:56:30

I know, it is a shame. I had a thought earlier that even if I did go and leave baby behind I would have to express every three hours to keep my supply going. There is no way I am getting my boobs out at -35!

FoxSticks Fri 01-Aug-14 21:14:52

I'm about five minutes behind you guys, I've voted for Zoe though. Fingers crossed!

LokiBear Fri 01-Aug-14 21:34:27

I wouldn't miss that experience with my DD for the world. I would thank pils for their kind offer but say you would like to wait until both children are older to take them. I think 3 might be too young anyway x

SixerofthePixies Mon 18-Aug-14 21:55:02

We went on a day trip when our youngest was 4.5. It was fantastic but I really wouldn't recommend it for anyone younger. The day was long and exhausting and I think a 3yr old would struggle. The skidoos/sleighs/husky rides/sledges are really very fast! It was also extremely cold (-28) even though we had all the correct clothes. Our feet and hands and faces still felt cold. The water in your nose, eyes, mouth froze was very bizarre.

jamtoast12 Tue 19-Aug-14 18:49:50

Wait 2 years. Dds were 7&5 and the 5yr old struggled. It's not just the cold but long busy days too. It takes almost an hour to get you all dressed. My eldest is 9 and still believes! All the optional excursions (a must do IMO) only take kids from age 4 and even the operators recommend over 4s. It's not worth it before 4-5 years IMO. There no way I'd let anyone else take your kids, it's pure once in a lifetime!

itiswhatitiswhatitis Tue 19-Aug-14 18:52:07

I looked into one year and I remember most of the brochures said the trip was unsuitable for under 3's

jamtoast12 Tue 19-Aug-14 18:55:09

I'd let your pil take your bil etc this year and take yours in say 3 years. Personally I think 8&6 would be perfect as the winter sports like sledging, driving skidoos etc are far more fun (and memorable) than the actual Santa part. Dd7 was just about right but it's definitively for older kids.

Tell your in laws that my 8 1/2 yr old ds still very much believes in Father Christmas. He has no clue at all. The oldest child may well still have a magical time in two years time, indeed it may help to prolong his belief for a little longer.

Puffinlover Sat 23-Aug-14 20:00:20

We went when DS's were 5 and 8. I think any younger than 5 or so they struggle with the cold. My 8 year old was probably at the top end for Santa as was becoming suspicious but still really enjoyed it, especially the outdoor activities we did. It was a fantastic trip but I don't think as suitable for pre schoolers.

antarctic Sat 23-Aug-14 20:05:32

Will your DD be nearly 4? My DS2 was 4.3 when we went and he loved it. He's quite hardy though.

Nerf Sat 23-Aug-14 20:13:55

I'd let the inlaws go and take dd tbh, it would be a nice pre Christmas day for you. Wrapping? Sleeping? Shopping?

jamtoast12 Sat 23-Aug-14 20:25:45

Thing is - if your pil take your dd (who really is too young in most people opinions who have been) you may find that your youngest child then misses out as it's unlikely (I would have thought) that they'd pay again given all gc will have been apart from one? So you'd have to all go again whereas your pil may understand your concerns and offer to pay for you all in 3-4 years time which would be much better for you as a family.

It's only on mumsnet that I read about kids stopping believing before age 8 - in dds class (year 4) there isn't one child who doesn't believe and they all have older siblings too. You can keep the magic going longer if you want to and tbh, having been to Lapland, I think even I believe smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now