ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

I think I've had a pretty good idea....

(5 Posts)
EvieAndRosesMum Sat 21-Jun-14 20:07:54

I know people do elf on the shelf but as a kid we were always told the elves were watching you just couldn't see them and this was one really magical thing I remember as a child, so I'm reluctant to do elf on the shelf as I think, personally, maybe it takes away some of the imagination and magic. Anyway... I have thought that instead of an elf on the shelf I could get some rag dolls and dress them up like elves, take pictures and write a letter to dd's explaining theses are the elves that will be watching them. And then throughout December get the elves to write letters and drop off things for them to do- like tickets to see Santa, ingredients to bake gingerbread etc.... Any more ideas like this that might be nice? Does anyone else do something similar?? Thanks

we do similar but my dc are 12 and 14,6 so i can't convince hem they're being watched grin

i saw the 'elf on a shelf- a christmas traditon' on qvc usa a few years back but they are expensive and a tad creepy.

we made an elf from a dr who doll - christopher eccleson - then the next year an a-team doll - hannibal.
clothes were felt either sewed or glued.
we hide him round and the dc discover him and his little bag of sweets.

there are loads of e.o.a.s. threads -and on usa sites- to give you ideas.

when my ds was about 3 or 4 i made a sleeping elf in the playhouse and we went out with a candle in a jar to peep at him.

you do what your dc will enjoy, each year you can change it and it becomes a family tradition grin

you could do a digital photo of your rag doll elves having a midnight snack, or wrapping presents - depending how old your dc are.

excuse the one handed typing, i've got the younger guinea pig and he's trying to escape grin

I think it sounds lovely.

I dislike the proper elf on the shelf for its creepy looks, instead we have a knitted tomten from Finland. I hide it around the house with a piece of choc for each dc and they have to find it to claim their prize. They are aware I'm hiding it and that it's a game, I don't feel christmas is any less magical because of that.

I think it sounds lovely.

I dislike the proper elf on the shelf for its creepy looks, instead we have a knitted tomten from Finland. I hide it around the house with a piece of choc for each dc and they have to find it to claim their prize. They are aware I'm hiding it and that it's a game, I don't feel christmas is any less magical because of that.

Scousadelic Tue 24-Jun-14 20:57:23

My children are grown up now so I had never heard of this when they were little. We did however tell them that the burglar alarm sensors were linked in to Santa's CCTV and the fairies would see if they were naughty. Worked a treat! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now