Christmas markets

(10 Posts)
MooseyMoeufsChocolateNearer Sat 19-Apr-14 08:48:47

I'm thinking of treating my mum, for her 65th birthday, and taking her to a Christmas market. I'm thinking a tour would be easiest or maybe booking with Eurostar.

Has anyone been on a Christmas market tour? Where did you go and who did you go with?

Do you want UK or Europe?

I haven't been to a proper Christmas Market but there are several in London and TBH , though they are festive, colourful and smell gorgeous; it's not enough to keep me busy for a whole day.

If I was choosing (and I might do this myself one year) I'd do a York tour (York, Harrogate and all the touristy bits) then find a market there.

Unless you live near/in York....grin

MooseyMoeufsChocolateNearer Sat 19-Apr-14 15:18:39

She's been to Bath and Winchester Christmas markets and really loved going to them. I think she would enjoy seeing one in Europe

Mrswellyboot Sat 19-Apr-14 15:21:05

Krakow is gorgeous

nickdrakeslovechild Sun 20-Apr-14 09:10:44

Berlin is also lovely and lots of different markets including one in the grounds of a castle.

AlpacaLypse Sun 20-Apr-14 09:15:17

I'd choose a German city with at least one sight you and your mum would love to see, eg Cologne for the Cathedral. As far as I can make out pretty well every German city does a great market.

AphraBane Sun 20-Apr-14 09:36:49

Much as I love persuading people to come to Berlin, it' a bit disappointing for people who want the whole medieval cutesie-pie atmosphere. The two best markets traditionally are in nuremberg and cologne. There also tend to be plenty of package trips to those two markets, if your mum would prefer a group atmosphere.

QOD Sun 20-Apr-14 09:38:59

Depending on where you are, what about Buzzlines or Crosskeys coach trips? Day trip to the markets for about £38 via the channel tunnel, easy and cheap.

MooseyMoeufsChocolateNearer Sun 20-Apr-14 14:33:57

Thanks for all the replies QOD I've just looked at Buzzlines & Crosskeys and the day trips look really good - Lille, Bruges and Boulogne seem to be the main options.

QOD Sun 20-Apr-14 15:01:19

Might see you on one!!

We've just done the Disney day ... Exhausting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now