What's a good age for pantomime?

(13 Posts)
Ratbagcatbag Sun 06-Apr-14 10:52:28

My dd will be approx 20 months old in December and I want to do panto but think it may be too young?

What's a fab age to do it, or the earliest you can get away with it?

Disclaimer - I know it's April, but I'm posting in the correct topic so if you hate Christmas threads this early don't reply grin

JerseySpud Sun 06-Apr-14 12:18:25

I think about age 3-4 personally. any earlier than that and i find they just dont get it.

I honestly wouldn't bother taking a 20 month old TBH. Mine were 5 and 6 the first time and they loved it. I agree 3-4 is a good age.

EdithWeston Sun 06-Apr-14 12:23:09

At 20 months, she won't appreciate it. As long as you take at least two adults (or are happy to leave older children alone in the auditorium for nappy change or grizzing breaks) you should be OK as long as you book end of row seats so you don't make other people stand as you to and fro.

My youngest was about 36 months when we took her- she was on the cusp tbh, and some of it scared her. My eldest was three when she first went, she loves it. Wait another year is my opinion.

Ratbagcatbag Sun 06-Apr-14 20:23:34

Man, I'm so impatient. <sulkily crosses off pantomime to do off Christmas list with dd this year> grin

Ok with you experts on hand ill wait another year. smile

Any thoughts on what great Christmassy stuff I could do with a 20 month old?

Morgause Sun 06-Apr-14 20:24:19

<panic buys Christmas cards>

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 06-Apr-14 20:25:11

I'd also say from about the age if 4 onwards

A nice Chrustmassy thing might be the Santa & Steam train rides many ofvthe steam railways do.

starrynight19 Sun 06-Apr-14 20:30:26

I did a panto for dd 6 birthday this year , they all loved it.
Dd has been going since she was 3 but this was the best year yet.

Yeah, I would say 3-4 as well, I took DS 4 and DD 2.5 to the local am dram panto of Cinderella recently. DS loved it and really joined in, DD did get quite restless and was really only manageable because she adores Cinderella and understands the story. It made her year when the girl who played Cinderella came out the front afterwards and DD got to meet her and try on her tiara grin

The church in my city ( Cardiff ) does free nativity plays with the am dram lot- perfect for little toddlers. There's usually a Christmas market as well which is colourful and they've enjoyed since young. The Santa train is also great.

MegBusset Sun 06-Apr-14 22:11:50

Mine have been going since they were 4 and 2.

We booked our panto tickets in January. The date we wanted was already nearly sold out!

Reastie Wed 16-Apr-14 12:27:46

DD went to her first when she was 2 years 10 months and loved it. She had her first cinema trip to room on the broom when she was 2.5 and also loved this. I guess it depends on the child. Thing I would be worried about is if it's too noisy/scary for them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now