So.....................how many days now until Christmas 2014?

(853 Posts)

We need a new thread to continue the very successful countdowns of 2013 and 2012.

And before anyone does the hmm face (or fhmm face ) take a look at some of the 'Panic Threads' at the end of December when people were "Twitching" and stressing.

Organisation is key.

(I just need to find somewhere that'll work out how many days it is grin )

I've been up early since I don;'t know when.
Dbro brought DM,DF,DSil down today, I knew they were arriving early so I kept waking , they got here at 7am. Their cat is hiding under our bed , chattering to my DD.

On Saturday, I will stay in bed ALL DAY fwink

Guitargirl Tue 23-Dec-14 22:26:18

We are just back tonight from a 3 day trip to Lapland. I am exhausted and I should really be in my bed but instead am in the Christmas section of MN. I was hoping to be absolutely finished with everything before we went but Lapland clothing logistics took over somewhat which means I still have some wrapping to do and need to set up the build a bear wardrobes tomorrow night. I will be on my knees by Boxing Day at this rate...

It was "xmasclock.com" (just checked and it's one day, one hours and several minutes )

BiddyPop Tue 23-Dec-14 16:02:03

Wasn't it to Christmas Eve, that you would get all the preps done by then to be able to enjoy a peaceful and stress free Christmas Day?!

My list looked reasonable yesterday and I keep remembering things.

But I have enough bought that I don't need anymore (want is another thing - I have a relatively short list for that), all gifts except DD's are wrapped (I only have to wrap her present from us, not Santa ones, and her birthday present), the house is clean enough (but I still want to do the bathrooms and mop again), and I have enough "magic" going on even if the last few bits don't come together.

DD and DH are in the car on their way back home (from 2 nights at PILs - I was working so couldn't go). They will head home and get the bus into the city to meet me later before we get some dinner and go to the carol concert. And DD sounds seriously excited, chattering away (she tends to plug herself into the DVD player for those trips - but is yakking away to DH, and to me on the 2 phonecalls DH had to make).

disneymum3 Tue 23-Dec-14 12:40:56

<pops in for her input> your countdown could be how many days left not including today <quietly goes back to corner>

Countdown must be "How many days till Christmas Eve " I reckon grin

I've done the remains of the shopping, (just need to go to the butchers, for shame, I'm a vegetarian, they won't let me in wink )

Quick coffee break now, then start again with Operation Christmas.

BiddyPop Mon 22-Dec-14 10:00:49

I had a reasonable day of gently getting organized yesterday (but didn't go to bed until after 1am). So all the presents are now bought and wrapped apart from the last 2 tote bags I need to sew together. I went to the storage unit in the morning while I had the car, and moved all the presents (apart from Santa), the wine and the tub of Christmas ware (we only had 2 cups and DD's small plate and mug at home) back home. I finally found the brooch for DSis and sent it down for her with other DSis. Laundry, tidying, using freezer stuff to eat (including making myself a healthy frozen yoghurt smoothie).

Today I still feel like a washed out cloth. But I am in work (am going to give up at lunch though). I got the few jobs I wanted done this morning - laundry to dryer, emptied bins, few bags in the right places. I have a list to follow tonight when I get home. I will buy the turkey on my way home as DH has gotten panicky about leaving it until 24th (we haven't ordered anything). And then I will curl up in a ball for the evening to get better, I hope. As we're out late tomorrow night once the other 2 get back from MILs.

two days till Christmas doesn't seem real does it?

(Tries to work out , if today is today, tomorrow (Tuesday) is one day then it;'s Christmas Eve that the countdown is aiming for? I had no clue right at the start so it's been winging it all the way through 2014 fgrin )

Last minute tidying here.
Some baking
Waitng for the man to fix the loo to arrive

Tomorrow an early morning last minute shopping trip and drop of the glass recycling then more cooking.

Doing some last minute Twitching here blush
Apart from the fresh and freezer food I need some seat cushions for the dining room chairs.

<sigh>

Ahh lovely photo Lost babies and young children are scrummy at Christmas but they don't understand the concept of time, even with Advent Calenders and "How many Sleeps"?

I bought some clothes for DS in Primark (it was really quiet)
Had my hair cut (now sporting a shocking amount of grey, but that will go)

Took the DH and DC to the Warner Brother Harry Potter tour. DS (15) was a typical meh teenage boy (I've already made a Note to Self not to take them anywhere next year. Maybe give them cinema money instead)

DD enjoyed it, DH and I haven't seen all the HP films so that's something we need to do.

Biddy be careful with the antibiotics + alcohol (they can affect each other) . And what with you feeling broody at baby photos.............wink

DD and I were getting clucky over guinea-pig babies but we have three already who are quite happy thank you in their trio fsmile

BiddyPop Fri 19-Dec-14 15:16:11

I got the mane chopped at lunch but chickened out of red stripes this year. (Partly time was against me, and partly, I kinda feel like, even though there are 32 more who will be interviewed and probably come out ahead of me - I really ought to try and look a bit professional rather than like a 16 year old). But it has tamed the "caveman" look I had been sporting.

Lost, that sounds like a lovely day at the show!! And your DD looks adorable!!!!! (Getting broody again).

70s, I have no sympathy for a wander around Primark - you who is already on her holidays!! But do make DD take a time out for a nice coffee break together too instead of just rushing....

I am going to the work "do" tonight for an hour - but I suspect I'll be beating a tactical retreat before things get messy to go home and allow the antibiotics take proper effect (combo chest, throat and ears issues saw me at GP this morning, so I am on ABs for a week but can drink on them luckily!! Will be taking Monday off if I need to but getting things sorted here today).

lostlalaloopsy Fri 19-Dec-14 14:55:07

I took 2 younger dc's, ds almost 3 and dd 15 weeks, to a little Christmas show. It was lovely,ds was up on stage every 2 minutes helping the elves!!

And I finally put baby dd in her Christmas pudding outfit!! She was adorable!

Biddy did you get your hair done? Candy cane stripes sounds fab!!

70s I'm the same I need to start the big clean but just cannot find the motivation!!

I'm taking DD out shopping this afternoon (must be barmy fconfused )

I need to get my haircut, it was 'ok' now looks a tad wild .

And DD wants a wander round Primark <<oh joy>>

And now I've officially finished work (well my worthy NHS paid work where I'm frazzled to a crisp but I hope I'm appreciated) fwink
Now starts the cooking/cleaning/organising for my dear family ( I'm sure my lovely DC don't appreciate me [grin[ )

BiddyPop Wed 17-Dec-14 09:22:25

I spent last night rolling more candy cane cookies - but they are now ALL DONE!! The 2nd batch worked a lot better than the 1st - plenty of red in the red half meant they cooked red and almost white, not paler and darker browns. 1st batch going today to Catholic instruction group - 2nd batch to class tomorrow.

Yesterday's lunchbreak was spent at the post office - so no shopping done. And DD had a bad fall at school, so was very clingy last night - so I need to fit in a shower today somewhere. (DH was out at his 2nd Christmas party - and got home after 1.30am, so I spent the night tossing before he got home, and being woken by snoring after that!).

Oh well, lots of work to get done before shower and sleep can beckon....

BiddyPop Tue 16-Dec-14 09:49:54

Lost, I hope BIL appreciates the effort you've gone to for him - even if it is too late for him to do anything to reciprocate it. But at least your DN's will appreciate it!

70s, it sounds like London was nicer than last year! A haircut needs to be on the agenda here too (I am debating dying it, candy cane stripes in the reddest red they do - which is not all that pillar box really - as highlights, but then there are interviews soon where I have to look serious and professional, but I have done it before for Christmas and it's kinda cool!).

I got the last of Santa's things yesterday, except for Fruit that needs to be fresh. And spent the evening rolling red and white cookie dough into candy cane cookies for DD for school (birthday treat to the class). I need to come up with simpler ideas!!!

The last of the parcels, and all the local cards, go in the post today. I still have a few cards to write, to friends, but I'll get to that. Tonight I need to finish cookies and wash the kitchen floor. Although I am strangely ahead on housework for a change - I deep cleaned (properly deep cleaned) both bathrooms at the weekend and hoovered the whole house, and the last load in the laundry basket is getting washed today (I programme the machine to run while we're out). And the clutter stacks are not as bad as normal.

I must get the box of Christmas crockery, the last of the presents (already wrapped) and the Christmas wine from the storage unit over the weekend. (Yesterday, I managed to get the wine for having visitors, and plenty for early spring too, by spending my cashback vouchers and using the 25% off every 4 bottles, so all the wine and most of the beer cost me €58 in hard cash - but I put away 20 bottles yesterday!!). I have the naice wine separate, as I said we would buy some proper nice wine for Christmas Day this year, including a half bottle of dessert wine for pudding as I like it (DH not mad about it) - as a special treat this year.

But I also still need 5 more presents - for 3 (aunt and uncle) couples, a maiden aunt, and the childminder, and a box of chocs for the afterschool minders. So I need to sacrifice lunchour again today.

If I am really lucky, I will manage to get to the gym tomorrow (I haven't been in 9 weeks and I really miss the swimming). And I need to fit in a haircut somewhere along the way.

lostlalaloopsy Tue 16-Dec-14 03:28:10

It's definitely Christmas when you hear the Pogues 70s!

Into single figures fgrin

And I heard "Fairytale of New York" (The Pogues) in the supermarket fgrin fgrin

DD and I went to see The Little Matchgirl, it was lovely, deviated from the original but still very sad.

Then a wander round the shops (very empty surprisingly) and Afternoon Tea.

London is at it's best with the Christmas Lights, you don't notice the ugly bits.

Ah, DS had his presents, his meal out, but he was starting to go down with a cold/cough.
He was too heavy eyed to blow out his candles and fell asleep at 5pm. All last week he's been rough, went to school on Wednesday but got sent home again (he thought he was ok, but obviously wasn't. High temp and cough for a week, thankfully now improved)

BIL sounds like an arse but as you say, it's your nephews that are important, you can smile at them and give BIL a Death Stare (maybe spill something cold on his lap at dinner ooopsie shock )

11 days now, we're getting to single figures soon <<squeeee>>

Shopping early today, breakfast in town with DH and DD (DS won't lower himself to come shopping with us even when he's well )

I need to get some more presents for DS
My hair has gone to neat Pixie to bleurgh with grey overnight (well so it seems) so I'll get that cut this week and dye it myself.

DD and I are going to London tomorrow smile

lostlalaloopsy Fri 12-Dec-14 12:17:35

Ooh less than a fortnight!!

Biddy good luck with the interviews! We've had some sleet/snow here but nothing is lasting on the ground.

70s did ds have a good birthday?

I just need to have a small moan!

My BIL has split with his partner and will have his dc over Xmas. I have bought lovely gifts that I know nephews will love, have made them up Christmas Eve hampers and have organised a little party on Christmas Eve as one of nephews has birthday on Christmas Day. I also bought little gifts for nephews to give BIL on Christmas morning.

I was speaking to BIL yesterday who told me he has got my 6 yo dd a cardigan for Christmas. I am not bothered at all about the money, but it's just the lack of thought and effort that is bugging me - he basically walked into Tesco and bought the first thing. I am tempted to tell him not to bother coming at all on Christmas Eve, all he does is moan about how hard he has it but feel it would unfair to nephews as I know he won't make any effort.

And rant over!!

BiddyPop Fri 12-Dec-14 10:40:56

Q for car parking to Dundrum at 9.15am! Am sat with coffee and 2 glasses of water for a quick break before heading for last bits and escape!

Wrote the cards last night so progress being made. And paid bills here with my coffee so a big bundle for posting later.

But am looking forward to some peace at home.

KinkyDoritoWithJingleBellsOn Fri 12-Dec-14 06:56:46

I've lurked here for months! So exciting that we are getting near single figures. fsmile

Oooh getting really close now grin

I'm waaaaaaaaay behind scheduleblush my DC have been taking it in turns to be unwell so scuppering my chance of mid-week shopping (I work P/T), though I'll be brave and try to get out on Saturday , very early.

I need to get the decorations up, if I need more lights and some presents for the DC (especially my DS who has had Birthday Presents but I have no idea about Christmas gifts. Trip to "Game" approaches )

I've baked the cake and made the puddings this week.

DD and I are off to the theatre this weekend then afternoon tea smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now