Countdowners 2014

(148 Posts)
Farrowandbawlbauls Thu 26-Dec-13 18:31:56

Yes I know it's still Christmas 2013 for a few more days, but technically, the countdown started this morning.

So..Here we are again.

We will need:

Links to other threads about bargin hunting
Links to sales throughout the year
Links for decorations
Links for days out
Links for any good electrical sales
Links for budgeting
Links for really good gifts for men as they are generally the harest to buy for and grandparents/in laws.

There's no harm in starting a list now either for what you need to get next year, learning from this year and previous years.

The top of my list I must remember to write a card to SIL T&S, every single year they have sent a card and I've failed to send one in return for the 3rd year running now. Ditto Claire.

Must remember to buy crakers from M&S again, they were fantastic.

ChestyNut Sat 29-Mar-14 19:07:06

I'd like a lovely garland for the mantelpiece. Couldn't find one last year.

Still debating changing tree colour this year grin

QueenofClean Tue 25-Mar-14 07:16:07

Lurking more at moment and keep checking in.

nickdrakeslovechild Sat 22-Mar-14 21:52:38

I couldn't find a bushy one anywhere so I got 4 and weaved them together IYSWIM? We can only put the christmas tree near the radiator so I also take a few branches out of the back of it and fill out the bannister with that too. We will have to do pictures when they are all up. at the end of november

Smilesandpiles Sat 22-Mar-14 21:41:03

There's nothing like a good garland on the stairs is there?

I've spent aaages looking for a nice thick bushy one.

nickdrakeslovechild Sat 22-Mar-14 21:39:36

Hi Smilesandpiles I'm still here, a bit more of a lurker but more active on the other Christmas threads. Finding lots of bargains at the moment and hiding them all away.
I made a garland for the stairs when we first moved into the house, I wanted this house as soon as I walked in and saw the amazing art deco staircase and stained glass window. It was made for a Christmas garland and I was instantly sold. The one newer addition to the garland are those battery powered little twinkly lights. I always wanted it lit up but haven't got a power supply without the cable running across the front door!

Smilesandpiles Sat 22-Mar-14 21:30:48

Today I was listening to Christmas songs again and it gave me the excuse to make a start on the garland for the stairs.

I've trimmed it to fit the length of the staircase and put on the felt poinsettas and one set of battery lights. I just need another set of lights and some cinnamon sticks to bundle up and that's that done.

I've fallen behind with the presents but I do have ds's birthday and a holiday to pay for yet. After that it won't be long for me to get back on track though.

I'm assuming you've all forgotten about this thread.

QueenofClean Thu 06-Mar-14 21:20:16

Hiya, I'm okay thank you Chesty. My OCD gone into overdrive again so struggling a bit..just trying to get it back under control.

Doing well on present front tho smile

ChestyNut Wed 05-Mar-14 07:02:48

Mid June apparently sad

Very organised!

Smilesandpiles Tue 04-Mar-14 19:33:48

Oh no sad Do you have a date yet?

No, it's not December yet angry.

I've nearly finished my stockings though grin.

ChestyNut Tue 04-Mar-14 19:28:02

Oooooh disguise! Are you trying to confuse me grin

I'm ok, suffering with sinus' and waiting for surgery, making me generally miserable.

Is it December yet?

Smilesandpiles Tue 04-Mar-14 18:49:41

College doesn't finish until June Chesty. I have 3 exams in May and another 2 in June. So there's a while to go yet.

The job is going OK thanks but because of a huge move and shift in the entire process, my job is about to get a lot busier. A few feathers will be ruffled but hey, tough.

How's things with you? You've not been on for ages.

Smilesandpiles Tue 04-Mar-14 18:49:37

College doesn't finish until June Chesty. I have 3 exams in May and another 2 in June. So there's a while to go yet.

The job is going OK thanks but because of a huge move and shift in the entire process, my job is about to get a lot busier. A few feathers will be ruffled but hey, tough.

How's things with you? You've not been on for ages.

ChestyNut Sun 02-Mar-14 15:32:41

Afternoon.

I'm not keen on the new ones farrow am still burning christmas ones grin

Congrats on the jobs! When's college finish?

<sigh> DM birthday this month and no idea what to get her.

how's DD seven?

Are you ok queen?

Farrowandbawl Wed 19-Feb-14 12:36:33

Yankee Candles have their new range out - it's a good one this year I think.

Midnight oasis is lovely...as is the palm trees one.

QueenofClean Mon 17-Feb-14 07:30:19

Hey Countdowners smile

I've brought some more Xmas presents in the half price George sale at Asda..so that is MIL nearly finished.

DD1 had some books brought for her from the schools £1 book shop last week so that is good too.

Sorry for my absence not been feeling myself and trying to maintain normality for my girls.

TheOnlySeven Fri 14-Feb-14 14:18:49

Does anyone use quidco? It's a cashback website, I found out about it in the credit crunch section. I ordered DH brirthday present this morning and got £12 cashback smile

giraffeseatpineapples Wed 12-Feb-14 19:01:33

Ooh Farrow, MSE esp the forum and grabbit section are really useful too, not so user friendly though forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

I also got lots of great buys thanks to the bargain christmas thread last year and many of the bargains originated from Hot deals and mse . There are some problems though:
1 it gets addictive checking all the sites
2 you end up buying lots of bargains you don't need but can't resist because they are such a bargain
3 you might get the twitch as all your shopping will be done so early wink

Farrowandbawl Tue 11-Feb-14 18:57:20

I've found a FANSASTIC discount website for freebees and discounts.

I've just got £10 off an order off tassimo stuff...

Link

This will have some great bargins nearer Chrsitmas time.

giraffeseatpineapples Tue 11-Feb-14 14:57:20

ooh pound sign went weird

giraffeseatpineapples Tue 11-Feb-14 14:56:50

hope your dd feels better seven, always a shock for them sad

Great news about lakeland set farrow that's a few � saved smile Let us know how it goes!

been making brownies with dd, now have to was dds t shirt, scarf and a chair cover that are covered in cocoa powder. Now the hard bit ... not eating the brownies.

Farrowandbawl Tue 11-Feb-14 07:47:26

Poor little mite.

TheOnlySeven Mon 10-Feb-14 22:51:31

She's ok thanks, they just wanted to check her as a precaution. She's been quieter though, laying on the sofa watching Finding Nemo this afternoon, she doesn't sit still for longer than a minute usually.

Farrowandbawl Mon 10-Feb-14 20:37:38

Oh no, how is she?

TheOnlySeven Mon 10-Feb-14 20:33:28

Sounds like an awesome day farrow. Better than mine anyway, emergency trip to doctors with 2yo DD1 with an enormous purple bump on her head from banging it on the hard floor.

Farrowandbawl Mon 10-Feb-14 19:43:38

Thanks Giraffe.

I was building shelves for the pantry and having a clear out at the same time...I've oly found the very same tree star biscuit cutter from Lakeland which I bought DD for christmas (she loves baking)..so I don't even have to do that now.

I have bought some material, buttons and ribbon for my stocking project which I will start in the summer when my exams are over - I've got too much on at the moment to even think about starting anything else.

I have some more good news....I recently got a volunteering position I've been after for months, and it turns out I've been head hunted for ANOTHER position in another food bank...it's only a hour a week and I can do it from home RESULT! AND I've done two test today for math sna science and got 100% on both, not bad seeing as I haven't studied at all, THEN....I get a call from my mate who needed to borrow my drill, so I got the kids from school, went to hers to drop the drill off and she's done dinner for us all so I haven't even needed to cook and I'm back in time for corrie...

I don't think this day could have gone any better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now