Countdowners 2014

(242 Posts)
Farrowandbawlbauls Thu 26-Dec-13 18:31:56

Yes I know it's still Christmas 2013 for a few more days, but technically, the countdown started this morning.

So..Here we are again.

We will need:

Links to other threads about bargin hunting
Links to sales throughout the year
Links for decorations
Links for days out
Links for any good electrical sales
Links for budgeting
Links for really good gifts for men as they are generally the harest to buy for and grandparents/in laws.

There's no harm in starting a list now either for what you need to get next year, learning from this year and previous years.

The top of my list I must remember to write a card to SIL T&S, every single year they have sent a card and I've failed to send one in return for the 3rd year running now. Ditto Claire.

Must remember to buy crakers from M&S again, they were fantastic.

MamaPizza Fri 24-Oct-14 19:04:28

HALFTERM!!!

Sorry for shouting, I'm just so bloody excited. I'm so knackered, it's unbelievable. Just happy I survived my first term at new school in new role without major hickups. Drinks on me tonight wink

Christmas tree is ordered, went for Fraser Fir again.

Christmas shopping is on the cards for this holiday. Amazon's wishlist is big. Seven, already finished?! Wow!

TheOnlySeven Fri 24-Oct-14 14:53:28

Hi chesty, wondered where you were.

I've had a productive week. I done a big Christmas present Amazon order ordered a couple of Peppa pig things from Asda and found some stocking toys in tesco. DCs presents are pretty much done now. Still need to get some more bits for their stockings though, probably just stickers, toothbrushes plus hair clips for DD1 and a couple of toy cars for DS. I'm completely stuck on what to get my sister and her DP though.

Anyone with young boys check out the imaginext Ocean boat on Amazon. Should be £40 but currently £25, I ordered one for DS. It came today and it's about twice the size I was expecting!

Smilesandpiles Fri 24-Oct-14 14:22:52

1 ltr is £10 in ASDA at the moment. I'm looking at it now.

AMouseLivedinaWindMill Thu 23-Oct-14 21:07:09

I am eyeing up a litre of either sainsburies own, 10 or baileys proper 15 - 6 quid off..its got to have whisky

Smilesandpiles Thu 23-Oct-14 19:26:45

Get the Co-op's vrsion of Baileys, it's much nicer (thinner) but nicer and smoother and half the price.

Going to M&S next week to get the biscuits etc...

but can't spend a lot, as have Driving test next week and due to an incident at school that I thought was over but isn't I'll need to buy a car ASAP so I can drive the kids to school and back.

AMouseLivedinaWindMill Thu 23-Oct-14 19:18:20

Getting so excited & feeling so Christmassy with this thread that I think I need to buy baileys ths weekend

GETTING my baileys this weekend.

already got all xmas biscuits and choclates from lidl

AMouseLivedinaWindMill Thu 23-Oct-14 19:16:53

Cheer up everyone! Halloween is almost over and then we can be free and be bonkers out in the open without getting hmm looks

grin grin

YIPPPPEEEEEE they can also shift the Halloween stuff out the way and make room for more C H R I S T M A S ....

MamaPizza Thu 23-Oct-14 18:21:17

Loom band kit? (year 7s and year 8s at my school love them still)
Lip balm with fruity flavours
Magazine(s)
Onesie!!! (It's a must at that age)
Bracelet
Some hair clips / bands / flowery band that the young girls wear all the time

ChestyCoffin Wed 22-Oct-14 22:11:55

Should have said I'd prefer to give a gift rather than vouchers.

grin

Smilesandpiles Wed 22-Oct-14 21:36:02

OK, easy ones first:

itunes vouchers
amazon vouchers
band merchandise?

Is there anything she likes in particular?

ChestyCoffin Wed 22-Oct-14 20:55:11

Right I need ideas for a 12 year old girl please, make me look the cool auntie please thlgrin

Smilesandpiles Wed 22-Oct-14 19:50:51

Outhere - because of his ASD I had to make him have an interest in it so it had to centered about his current obsession - minecraft (talk about making things hard for myself)

So we ended up with :

Minecraft Village Emeralds Make Jumping Sheep Under New Planets.

Smilesandpiles Wed 22-Oct-14 19:48:23

Oh arse, I forgot about the sale.

Well, ds did that homework and can still remember the planets and that stupid sentence so all is well there.

I've gone past caring about that clip. I got a crap score for that exam so that has made me focus on a few things that I've either been lazy with or haven't been able to understand. 2 things have finally clicked today so I have gained a bit more progress than usual but there is no more messing about. I need to put some serious hours in at home so I'm now very behind. I can write these first few exams off as I won't get the scores I need BUT I can't afford to write off anymore.

Serious study time from now on now I have a good idea of just how much work I need to put in.

Anyway, back to the good stuff (I'm on a 20 minute break)

Mama - hope the underwear isn't too uncomfortable, those photos look stunning, I'm very envious of you. Not long now!

Chesty - Where have you been?

Outthere - thank you for that. I take it you've had to this as well then?

Just when I thought I've finished my stockings I have to make one for the cat...I can't leave her out can I?

I'm going to have to doubly make sure the decorations are on properly this year. They're glass and I don't want her to break them then stand on any of the shards...although I'll have to get her out of the bath first.

It's freezing! Autumn has certainly set in..isn't it lovely?

MamaPizza Wed 22-Oct-14 18:42:05

Cheer up everyone! Halloween is almost over and then we can be free and be bonkers out in the open without getting hmm looks. Shopping sounds like good therapy. VERY happy with my Sainsbury's bargain today, the HotWheels set looks awesome I want to play with it now

OutThereLil Wed 22-Oct-14 18:32:30

smiles - I can't remember the exact one I used to say but will this do;

'My Vampire Eats Many Jam Sandwiches Until Noon'

ChestyCoffin Wed 22-Oct-14 18:14:28

Ps thlenvythlgrinthlhmm

ChestyCoffin Wed 22-Oct-14 18:12:51

Evening!

Lost the thread again.

smiles sounds inappropriate to me. What was his reasoning for showing it?
Sounds like you've rather a lot on at the mo wine

mama I hope they're knee length and thermal grin

Fed up this week for various reasons, might do a spot of online shopping to cheer me up!

MamaPizza Tue 21-Oct-14 17:35:18

That sucks smiles. I can't believe they are allowed to show this. I've never watched South Park, maybe it's better so. Stay away from it, it's a vile programme.

Sainsbury's half price toy sale starts tomorrow. Just wanted to let you bonkers ladies know in case you want to get any goodies. I'm eyeing up the Hotwheels T-Rex set.

Yes, very excited. I got my fancy wedding underwear now. I'll friggin freeze my fanny bits off but will look lovely under my dress blush wink grin

Smilesandpiles Mon 20-Oct-14 19:40:21

Are you getting excited by any chance Mama?

I need to have a rant so I apologise now.

I'm trying to do this access course and it's hard. Really hard. I feel as though I don't belong there but I'm going to stick at it anyway..

Today, I've had fuck all sleep, the lesson was beyond impossible (although at home I'm slowly, very slowly working through it but have had to go back to basics), I've got an exam tomorrow, driving test next week, 2 halloween parties I need to find costumes for and I don't want to go to either, DS knows his planets but has to make up a stupid, pointless sentence to help hm remember them, even though he already knows them confused so trying to think of a sentence where each word starts with M,V,E,M,J,S,U,N and P but what's tipped me over the edge is this...

During the impossible maths lessons he decided to show us a "funny" clip from south park. The cure for ADHD.

The clip showed 3 kids with ADHD in a classroom, and the teacher smacks them round the face to make them pay attention and be quiet. he smacks the second one twice as he started crying. By this miracle cure, the third kid was quiet.

I know it's south park but it struck a raw nerve (so much so I've been holding back the tears for the last 5 hours) and as a tutor I'd have though he's had known better than to show something like that, let alone find it "hillarious", but to be fair, he doesn't know he hit a nerve.

DS has ADHD and his dads way of controlling him was to hit him. I've still got scars from having to get between him and ds when he went for him with a belt one time.

I'm not sure if it's a combination of everything which is giving me a sense of humour failure and I'm out of touch or if this really wasn't appropriate. Either way I've lost all respect for him because of it.

Every single lesson I've had with him, I've ended up having to do again at home as I don't get his way of teaching. SO far google and the math books have explained things so much more and shown alternative ways of getting to the same result which is so much easier than the one he's tried to explain. So I'm already fustrated with him, even though it's not his fault.

Even looking through the M&S christmas brochure hasn't cheered me up so I know it's bad.

MamaPizza Sun 19-Oct-14 19:12:44

I noticed the name change. Apparently someone else is trying to get their website cloned, well not cloned, you know use something similar to get the customers.

Good luck for the exam on Tuesday.

I got my first wrapping paper.

In 60 days to the hour I shall be a Mrs grin

Smilesandpiles Sun 19-Oct-14 17:05:26

It's 67 days...so 3 baileys to make up for the one we missed grin

StillWearingOddSocks Sun 19-Oct-14 17:02:36

Love this thread ....70 sleeps must be worth celebrating....are we having a baileys on each Zero day? grin

Smilesandpiles Sun 19-Oct-14 13:25:48

Mama,

If you sign up for the updates you can get discount codes...I didn't see this until after I ordered though.

They've changed the name as well now, it's Billingley Christmas Trees...Same place though, same people running it.

Helloo!!! how is everyone?

I'll do a proper catcch up later in the week. just studying for an exam on Tuesday at the moment so am under a bit of pressure...

Uni statement and application needs to be finised in the next week as well and I've got a driving test...I'll be back when I get a few monutes to myself and the pressure had died down a little.

MamaPizza Sat 18-Oct-14 18:42:45

Anyone here? It feels lonely.

Does anyone know if there is a voucher code again for the Christmas tree farm? Want to order mine this weekend. Trying to convince the man to get a bigger one this time.

MamaPizza Thu 16-Oct-14 18:35:19

70 sleeps grin

...just saying...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now