Countdowners 2014

(171 Posts)
Farrowandbawlbauls Thu 26-Dec-13 18:31:56

Yes I know it's still Christmas 2013 for a few more days, but technically, the countdown started this morning.

So..Here we are again.

We will need:

Links to other threads about bargin hunting
Links to sales throughout the year
Links for decorations
Links for days out
Links for any good electrical sales
Links for budgeting
Links for really good gifts for men as they are generally the harest to buy for and grandparents/in laws.

There's no harm in starting a list now either for what you need to get next year, learning from this year and previous years.

The top of my list I must remember to write a card to SIL T&S, every single year they have sent a card and I've failed to send one in return for the 3rd year running now. Ditto Claire.

Must remember to buy crakers from M&S again, they were fantastic.

ZingChoirsOfAngels Fri 27-Dec-13 15:41:16

<waves to lucy>

MoreThanChristmasCrackers Fri 27-Dec-13 15:41:46

I think its a brilliant idea and useful for busy people/ those working right up until the end.
I had lots of commitments with dd right up to the 23rd, had I known this in January I would have started then and kept up doing something every week.
The diary is also a good idea, dh suggested this last night, so will defo do this.
Thanks for a fantastic thread

Farrowandbawlbauls Fri 27-Dec-13 15:42:11

Bugger. Thanks, Lucysmam

I'll have to think of something else. I've got a metal hanger but it doesn't fit over the new door...I may have to bend it in a couple of places to mould it so it fits. I'll try that and see if that works.

ZingChoirsOfAngels Fri 27-Dec-13 15:45:34

I bought a wreath hanger from Lakeland for the front door - it's clear plastic and the height is adjustable.
I used a blob of Blutack at the bottom (coz of shape of door) and it's been perfect.

<sucked in now, can't escapegrin >

Farrowandbawlbauls Fri 27-Dec-13 15:46:19

TIP

This year I have learnt...

DO NOT store Yankee Candles on their side in the decorations box and keep it in the loft. They will melt in a hot summer and leak over everything, you will then have to melt them again in the oven so you can find the wick as the wax will have set again.

Store them UPRIGHT at all times.

lucysmam Fri 27-Dec-13 16:03:20

hey Zing how you doin'?

QueenofClean Fri 27-Dec-13 16:09:49

Loved the bargain threads this year, I saved a fortune.

Does anyone know if Very.com have their £30 off if you open a credit account still? I'll pay the balance in full but DD1 got a Wii for Xmas and as her birthday in March thinking about getting Disney Infinity for her. TIA

ChestyNutRoastingOnAnOpenFire Fri 27-Dec-13 17:58:42

Please remind me next year when I talk about putting the tree up to not switch the lights on for a week.

Can't figure out if its the tree or the non flashing lights that set ChestyDog off fitting.

Am on the snowballs, it's still christmas til the 1st...right??

I never end up saving yankee candles farrow I burn them all year round, love the festive smells fgrin

zing there's no escape, you're dooooooomed I tell you. You'll be christmas shopping in June grin

<passes round copious boxes of chocolates>

Farrowandbawlbauls Fri 27-Dec-13 18:04:40

I'll remind you Chesty.

I'll put it on my list of stuff for next year in case this thread gets lost.

Coveredinweetabix Fri 27-Dec-13 19:15:18

Have already bought all of my wrapping paper for next year & know which weekend in Dec we're seeing PILs.
I need to buy less sweet stuff & soft drinks (although all will be consumed in the next few weeks so not the end of the world) and find out how the neighbour attaches her cards to the stairs so I can do the same.

ZingChoirsOfAngels Fri 27-Dec-13 19:46:58

Chesty

baby is due in July, then it's my 40th in August - I'll leave the Christmas gifts until after!grin

ChestyNutRoastingOnAnOpenFire Sat 28-Dec-13 10:10:54

How lovely zing a squishy baby fsmile

2anddone Sat 28-Dec-13 10:26:24

Queen Argos have Wii Disney infinity down to £29.99 atm grin

QueenofClean Sat 28-Dec-13 12:40:56

Thanks 2. According to Argos app it's £39.99. If I know the very credit thing works I'll only have to pay about £15. Thanks.

TheOnlySevenSleighbells Sat 28-Dec-13 22:04:50

<waves to queen>

MILs present for next year from the DCs has arrived, it's a royal jelly hand wash and lotion from boots. DH thinks I'm being odd that I hate her but have already bought her present, I explained that it cost £2.50 by getting it now and that later in the year I can devote more time choosing lovely gifts for everyone else without having to think about her. Also got a couple of stocking fillers half price for DCs.

Has anyone seen any Christmas ribbon on sale anywhere? I mean nice pretty fabric ribbon not the horrible acrylic stuff.

Farrowandbawlbauls Sun 29-Dec-13 12:33:57

I get wired ribbon for Works which is used for everything.

Fabric ribbons are usually on sale in local markets. You can always buy plain ribbon and decorate them yourself with some fabric glue and glitter.

Farrowandbawlbauls Sun 29-Dec-13 12:34:13

*from, not for.

QueenofClean Sun 29-Dec-13 13:36:03

<Waves to Seven>

andagiraffeinapineappletree Sun 29-Dec-13 14:11:18

wow well done on organisation! Just a quick wave hope you are all enjoying the hols!

whattoWHO Sun 29-Dec-13 14:21:41

There are some lovely Cath Kidston Christmas mugs in John Lewis reduced to £3.

Two designs had festive recipes on them (egg nog and christmas hot choc) and the other was red with white spots.

I bought a couple for teachers presents.

I then saw them in Cath Kidston shop reduced to £3.50 - result!

ChestyNutRoastingOnAnOpenFire Sun 29-Dec-13 16:11:14

<waves to giraffe>

Excellent bargain hunting WHO

Have just had my last festive coffee of the year fgrin

ChestyNutRoastingOnAnOpenFire Tue 31-Dec-13 16:53:36

Happy New Year countdowners!!

Farrowandbawlbauls Tue 31-Dec-13 17:15:33

grin You're early Chesty.

How Chesty Dog going to be tonight whenthe firworks go off again?

andagiraffeinapineappletree Tue 31-Dec-13 18:09:47

Happy Newy year all

Chesty - we bough a stove top milk frother from amazon and have been making lattes and spiking them with baileys, nearly finished a giant bottle between the two of us. When thats finished (prob tomorrow grin that will prob be my last festive latte

Farrowandbawlbauls Tue 31-Dec-13 18:15:08

Happy New Year all of you (might as stop fighting it)

Giraffe, great idea!

Why can't you have festive latte's all year round? Great for a Christmas fix.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now