The need to clean the house from top to bottom before xmas!

(154 Posts)
BoozyBoots Wed 18-Dec-13 09:25:16

Does anyone else experience this?

I've even cleaned the oven & defrosted freezer!
I know at some point on xmas eve i'll be annoying the family with the hoover, putting clean sheets on beds etc, all for the house to be covered in food,wrapping paper, pine needles and god knows how many spilt drinks the next day.

purrtrillpadpadpad Wed 18-Dec-13 14:32:18

I really want to but find it difficult to get anything done with a 7 month old. She wants to roll and squeal and play. As long as the house is reasonably clean and tidy it doesn't matter, we're not hosting anyone. I do find a good clean so relaxing sad never mind...

lucysmam Wed 18-Dec-13 14:48:26

I am quite envy of those of you who are doing a big Christmas clean! We're (finally) moving on Saturday so just to have some order in kitchen and living room would be nice smile

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 18-Dec-13 14:48:29

I'm having a new oven delivered tomorrow, so can get out of the oven cleaning nicely! fgrin

The rest of the house will be the same as usual though - a bit cluttered but basically clean. We aren't having any guests this year (it's our turn to visit everyone else), so there doesn't seem much point in bleaching under the tumble dryer etc.

VerySmallSqueak Wed 18-Dec-13 14:52:32

I've got enough to do without bloody cleaning.

<mutters under breath>.

But DH mentioned something about him cleaning the oven before the Big Day.
He needs to - it's his turn and I reckon the turkey will run out screaming the state it's in at the moment.

Trouble is that after a few shandies,once he's cooked the Christmas dinner,and slopped the fat all over the place,it'll need doing again.

Then it'll be my turn.

<sigh>

somersethouse Wed 18-Dec-13 15:04:12

Just done a massive clear out of old toys and general clutter/old papers and so on that had built up over the last 6 months.

More tidying tomorrow and general sweep through and then cleaner booked for Friday morning. 'Tis my Christmas present to myself!

notthegirlnextdoor Wed 18-Dec-13 15:14:45

Yep. Hosting for 10 for the first time this year. DH is also on a rampage with me, DIY-ing his ass off to get the kitchen finished in time! I am totally avoiding ironing putting clothes straight from the dryer into drawers/wardrobe to make sure dining room doesn't look like a laundrette. Decluttering shoving stuff in bags and then cramming them under the bed and in cupboards that I know people won't go in to make the house look pretty.

madmomma Wed 18-Dec-13 15:25:12

Luckily only my side of the family visit, so I just do what I can be arsed doing. I would be beside myself with cleaning-related stress if the ILs came.

lostdomain Wed 18-Dec-13 15:54:35

I love a clean house at Christmas. Steam cleaned all the carpets and washed all windows inside and out, dusted and polished and tidied and chucked out loads of clutter already. Decorations all up and presents round the tree. Still got to do the bathrooms - proper tile bleaching and floor scrubbing, and want to wax the wooden floors downstairs. But the house already looks so much better, like it wants visitors.

Ledkr Wed 18-Dec-13 16:00:48

I started a thread on the fact I am not doing it this year.
I will do a normal clean and tidy.
It's after that It really needs a good clean.

Ledkr Wed 18-Dec-13 16:01:35

I started a thread on the fact I am not doing it this year.
I will do a normal clean and tidy.
It's after that It really needs a good clean.

Katienana Wed 18-Dec-13 16:02:13

Having a proper blitz on Monday before we set off on our Christmas tour. Looking forward to coming back to a clean house, fresh bed linen etc.

wordfactory Wed 18-Dec-13 16:06:21

I'm torn.

We have hordes of people arriving on Christmas Eve and it will soon be messy.

But it seems impolite not to make the effort. I went in one of the guest bedrooms earlier and found it strewn with clothes, sleeping bags, a keyboard and music. It has cleasrly been someone's dumping ground wink.

dobedobedo Wed 18-Dec-13 16:07:56

Yes I do this! Last weekend was my big christmas clean.

Can't have Santa thinking we live like lazy slobs! grin

50shadesofknackered Wed 18-Dec-13 16:12:07

I get the urge to have a crazily clean, sparkling house at Christmas. I deep cleaned the house last week and I'm going over it quickly every few days. I'll clean again at weekend. God I sound sad! I'm not normally so obsessed, I promise!

SunshinemMum Wed 18-Dec-13 16:36:40

I di this too, er why do we do this? confused

Junebugjr Wed 18-Dec-13 16:39:07

I always have a good clean out before the big day, whether we're having people or not.
First a massive cull of toys and clothes which are shipped off to the charity shops.
Then I go through every room at a time.
Every storage and cupboard gets its stuff dragged out cleaned and bleached the shit out of, and sort through/thrown. Total declutter.
DH is forced and bullied into doing any necessary DIY.
Once everything is in its place, I do the proper deep clean. Drag out all furniture, windows, behind TV, the lot. I've even had DH try and drag out our American style huge fridge last year - not successful.
Even the dog gets sent off to the groomers, to be scrubbed clean and shaved for hours.

CatAmongThePigeons Wed 18-Dec-13 16:50:38

I'm doing this for some reason, but having DH, DS1 and DS2 at home means the work I do is soon undone.

I did sort the attic room ready for guests and I put up two shelving units in DS1s room to give him some storage and it looks loads better.

If I can get rid of all the toys the house would be spotless.

Beehatch Wed 18-Dec-13 16:55:42

How many men get this urge do you think?

I'm resisting this year, going for a festive midden look grin

SlatternismyChristmasname Wed 18-Dec-13 17:03:55

fgrin at 'festive midden look'

AngryFeet Wed 18-Dec-13 18:33:02

I normally do this but we are in a new house that we are redecorating so there is little point me going mad. Plus there are no visitors for the first time in years so I plan to relax this xmas!

claw2 Wed 18-Dec-13 19:09:07

You guys have started way too early!

Clean oven
Defrost freezers
Clean fridge
Wash inside of kitchen cupboards, straighten tins and check dates
Wash tiles in kitchen and patio doors
Clean windows throughout
Clean dishwasher with a cleaner thing
Hoover under furniture
Hands and knees wash of wooden floors
Steam clean wooden floors
Wash scatter cushions and blankets on settee
Clean bathroom and inside of cabinet
Wash dog bedding
Bath dog
Wash our bedding
Clean towels etc in bathroom
Polish everything and anything

and it HAS to be done 2 days before Christmas Eve or else the clean feeling wears off!

and I wont even be at home Christmas Day!

BeaWheesht Wed 18-Dec-13 19:22:41

I'm planning a blitz on Saturday but since we still have 2 family birthdays between then and Christmas and presents / toys / cakes / merriment they bring it'll be a pointless waste of time.

carmenelectra Wed 18-Dec-13 19:27:01

Omg yes I do this and I hate myself. Today I have cleaned out kitchen cupboards binned some stuff and tidied saucepans etx. I didnt finish all of them as I had xmas x ards to write.will finish tomorrow now. I
Ive also tried to sort old toys, though doesnt look much better. Done windows and skirting boards (had to do that before I put up tree) and wiped over doors.

Still to do is all beds (mon) vac whole house. Proper blitz bathroom. I hate myself for neinf so obsees and it sounds stuoid but I feel I cant enjoy Christmas till its done.

All this wouldn't be so bad but ive still got to wrap all presents and do food shop too.

I hate this all last minute panicking but I really have no choice as I work shifts, have no help with the children so have to take them everywhere meaning everything taakes forever.

Im determined this yr tho to be done before Christmas eve so I can fully enjoy it.

claw2 Wed 18-Dec-13 19:32:24

Its traditional! you have to have a Christmas Eve clean house before you can get changed into you new Christmas Eve pj's, then play Christmas Eve board games, while eating Christmas Eve tin Quality Streets, then watching a Christmas Eve film, with a Christmas Eve Baileys!

Its all so much more special with a Christmas Eve in front of everything!

BobCrotchstitch Wed 18-Dec-13 19:42:53

Ha junebug I thought it was just me who extended my manic cleaning to the dogs as well. Mine spent yesterday staring balefully at me as their beds were washed. That shifted the worst so a quick wash at the weekend to freshen them up will do.
I do not however inflict them on the groomer. She is of a slightly unstable disposition anyway and the descent on two dirty working cockers on her working day would I fear ruin her Christmas spirit irreparably fgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now