Are all gifts from santa?

(43 Posts)
DeathMetalMum Tue 17-Dec-13 21:36:52

Dd1 is 2.11 so this is her first year she 'gets' the whole idea of christmas. Me and dp are in a bit of a disagrement over what is from santa. I kind of think everything should be from santa where as dp thinks one gift should be from santa. Dd has a main present then two smaller things and stocking. One of the smaller things being what she announced when asked by santa that we had to rush out and buy - we were finished.

What happens in your house?

woooooooobooo Tue 17-Dec-13 22:40:03

We do the same as walter Everything bought by dh and I is from Santa. So basically whatever was on their Santa list plus the stocking. Any other gifts from grans, aunties etc are from the people themselves. I don't know anyone who only does stocking from Santa either. I'm in Scotland

woooooooobooo Tue 17-Dec-13 22:41:04

Both my grannies were Irish though so could also be Irish traditions

Rosvita Tue 17-Dec-13 22:43:01

I do stocking and biggish present from Santa then rest for us (prob sounds silly but I want the kids to know I put thought and money into buying them something really special that they want too).This year as dd's big present had been hidden in a bin bag in our room for a few months the big presents for each child are from us,with a few smaller presents and then 3 medium present and stocking from Santa.

Rosvita Tue 17-Dec-13 22:44:03

Meant to explain-as Ds (5) will prob cotton on the castle shaped bin bag in our room which is no longer there after Xmas is in fact the princess castle dd has received for Xmas.

justsodamntired Tue 17-Dec-13 22:44:15

Only stockings from FC here.

TheXmasLogIn Tue 17-Dec-13 23:42:25

Santa brings the stocking here too, plus maybe a couple of larger things off their lists, max budget £60 each (this year 3 things each). Then he also usually leaves a book, DVD and new outfit each too. These go under the tree on Christmas Eve purely because the stockings are quite tiny, so they don't fit. Otherwise all other presents under the tree are from or to family and friends and often put there in advance.

Was the same way when I was a child, although all Santa gifts ( stocking plus a few bigger items) were by the fireplace instead of under tree/end of bed. Nothing under the tree was allowed to be touched until after dinner had been eaten, cleared away and washing up done (often 6pm ish) but no one else I knew did that part, they got all their presents in the morning fenvy fgrin

GoingGoingGoth Tue 17-Dec-13 23:49:45

Stocking only here, can't remember what my parents did for me, memory failing
I once worked with a girl who said she always thought her parents had never bought her anything, as their presents were from Santa, there was NO way I was letting him take the credit grin

ZombieSquirrel Wed 18-Dec-13 00:39:37

Stocking only from Santa. In stocking is one personal gift (e.g a personalised bauble) which I asked Santa to make.

lilyaldrin Wed 18-Dec-13 00:42:49

Stocking and one main present from FC, left on the bed overnight.

Presents from us, friends, family - all labelled and under the tree.

callmekitten Wed 18-Dec-13 03:19:21

Everything is from Santa here. When my Mom told me "the truth" about Santa, she explained it this way. She told me that at Christmas, we are celebrating the birth of Jesus and one of the really important things that Jesus taught us is to give to others without being concerned about getting credit for it. Santa is one of our ways of doing that. I was very in to that idea and still am. So much so that even when it was just me and DH, I insisted that everything was from Santa.

DustyBaubles Wed 18-Dec-13 03:41:18

Mine write a letter, and are allowed to ask for three things from Santa.

They don't have stockings, but the Santa things and a few other small bits appear in a sack beneath the tree overnight on the 24th.

Anything from us/family goes under the tree as it's received.

As children, we only got one Santa thing, and didn't have stockings. My parents didn't buy us anything either, until we were old enough to stop believing in Santa, then we'd get something from them instead.

So essentially, as children everything was from Santa, but everything amounted to one gift fgrin as we were three children, in the eighties, with little money, and toys were ££££ compared to wages.

If we continued with the everything from Santa mindset as a throwback to our younger days, there'd be piles of stuff from the North Pole, as everything is so much cheaper these days, and there is so much more choice.

Not like the year you could be sure it was 1985 because everyone had/wanted a Major Morgan, or 1987 because you got a Light Brite! fgrin

Unclench Wed 18-Dec-13 04:42:57

I really like that thought callmekitten! I must remember that.
As kids Santa filled our stockings (on the end of our beds) and left us our "big pile" which arrived on the living room floor overnight. We got bits and bobs from mum and dad which would be wrapped and under the tree for a few days beforehand (usually kind of practical stuff, think pjs, bubble bath, slippers, books)
This was as a seventies child growing up in Scotland. We are more or less following the same idea.

Neeko Wed 18-Dec-13 07:17:07

I love that idea Callmekitten!

We have stockings and lots of parcels from Santa in their sacks plus a couple of smaller things under the tree to open later from DH and I. Presents from other people under the tree are always from the people who bought/gave them.
We tell the DC that as mum and dad buy for cousins, grandparents etc we can't afford to buy big things for Christmas so big presents come from Santa and we buy them a bigger gift at their birthday. It works for us.
I find it sweet that most kids must hear lots of different variations yet many choose to blindly belief what happens in their house.
Such a shame it isn't all true... wink

notthefirstagainstthewall Wed 18-Dec-13 07:27:16

Stocking and sackful of presents appears from Father Christmas.

All other friends and family gifts (to give as well as received) already under the tree to hand out.

Santa brings ds's stocking and a pile of presents. We give ds a few presents too and those are under the tree with the rest of the presents. This year we have 5 each and are going to open them in turn after lunch. Presents from other people are given to ds in person when we see them over Christmas.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Wed 18-Dec-13 07:36:50

Stocking only here. We are okay financially this year but it`s been very up and down. I didn`t want dd thinking she had been "naughty" in a lean year. She also has friends who receive loads and I didn`t want her to think they had behaved themselves any better.

I love hunting down unnusual things for her stocking that look elf made. grin

BeansAndCheese Wed 18-Dec-13 07:53:10

We do stocking from santa and rest of presents from us. This is my family tradition, because my df worked shifts, so we opened santa presents first things to distract us until df got home. My dh likes the sound of it, so we will do it too.

thenicknameiwantedisgone Wed 18-Dec-13 08:01:09

It would be so much easier if they gave us all a rule book on giving birth wouldn't it?!! fgrin

In our house the presents in the stockings are from Santa. Everything under the tree is from the individual people BUT Santa delivers them on his sleigh. How on earth he would get them in the first place I don't know!!!! We didn't think that one through properly but DC are now 13 and nearly 10 and no-one has questioned that part of it.

DS1 (13) stopped believing a few years ago but DS2 (9.10) still seems to believe. We didn't think we'd get this year out of it but we seem to be doing ok so far....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now