Maxi Micro scooter - is it worth it? Does it last?

(8 Posts)
mymblenymble Tue 17-Dec-13 19:46:42

DD turns 5 just after Christmas. She's very tall for her age and is too big for her Mini Micro scooter now. She uses it quite a lot, not every day but quite a bit as we don't have a car - the twenty minutes to the swimming pool every week, the half-hour to the train station if we've got a day out, etc.

So we're thinking of buying her a Maxi Micro Scooter (the one that's just a bigger version of the Mini Micro) for her birthday. But how long should I expect her to keep wanting to scoot? Does it become uncool at some point?! Is it worth it at a hundred quid? We'd be getting help from grandparents but it's still a lot of money!

I get the impression that the two-wheel ones last longer but she's not fantastically coordinated and gets very scared about falling over so I don't think she'd enjoy that...

Any experiences or opinions?!

Artandco Tue 17-Dec-13 19:48:46

I would. My 4 year old uses and I can still steel it off him and use sometimes smile

RandomMess Tue 17-Dec-13 19:51:17

Well my 8 year old is still using one, and it used to be her sisters so it's had about 5 years of use on the school run, so 2 miles per day on each school day?

ContinentalKat Tue 17-Dec-13 19:52:40

All the kids in the neighbourhood still use theirs. Oldest is 9 or 10 now!

Upcycled Tue 17-Dec-13 19:54:43

Definitely get it.
You can buy second hand on eBay too.
My daughter's one was stolen and she is going to be 7 soon, I thought I would get a two-wheel one but keep hearing people saying how crap it is, so probably I will end up getting a maxi micro again.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Tue 17-Dec-13 20:00:08

Uncool by 8 here, my DCs both had them from age 5, DS kept his till his 9th birthday but he is fairly oblivious to what's cool. Loads of his classmates had them around age 5 but they were all gone by about the age of 8. Dd still has hers (nearly 8) but she has spent the last year moaning and asking for a two wheeler. None of her classmates had them beyond Yr 1.

Having said that, we must have covered hundreds of miles on them, spares have been easy to obtain and fit (needed after reasonable wear and tear) and customer service was brilliant.

mymblenymble Tue 17-Dec-13 20:01:56

Thanks everyone, I'm sold smile!

Notcontent Tue 17-Dec-13 23:11:51

Dd is nearly 8 and uses hers nearly every day. We are in London where anything goes! and have seen adults on them so don't think it will be uncool anytime soon.
They last for ages and you can buy spare parts if anything is damaged.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now