Ham in coke...real or roller?

(13 Posts)
OwlBeThereForYou Tue 17-Dec-13 19:30:17

After a roaring success with ham in coke last year, I've currently got requests for ham on 3 separate different events. But has anyone had any experience in using 'real' coke I.e coca cola, or an own brand?
I used the 'real' thing last year, because it's what I drink so made sense, but not sure I can justify that much cola for 3 hams hmm
It can affect the taste too much can it? It's still sugary stuff right? I'm only over thinking because I'm such an arse about drinking the stuff and can 'taste' the differences.
Wow I'm starting a thread about ham in coke....think I may have my priorities way out! wink

shitonit Tue 17-Dec-13 20:31:28

I always use coca cola, the full sugar one. Never tried a cheaper brand sorry.

Coconutty Tue 17-Dec-13 20:33:10

It isn't much difference in price or sugar content so I would use the real thing. Pepsi is nice too.

Hessy Tue 17-Dec-13 20:37:20

Did you see the Nigel Slater recipe where the ham is cooked in cider...? Yum.

Steben Tue 17-Dec-13 20:38:43

I also do one every year and it's proper coke everytime! Not something to skimp on I feel - can't imagine it would be same with Pepsi for example (boak)

tshirtsuntan Tue 17-Dec-13 20:40:16

Real coke is 3 two litre bottles for 3 quid at the moment in tesco.

wispa31 Tue 17-Dec-13 20:40:55

My aunty uses cherry coke, the coca cola one tho, it tastes lovely. My mum soaks hers overnite in cider before cooking it.

ThursdayLast Tue 17-Dec-13 20:42:50

We use own brand, cheapest cola we can find.
I've never tried it with proper coke, but I really can't imagine the flavour would be that much different, what with the onion etc

NatashaBee Tue 17-Dec-13 20:45:35

I use supermarket brand cola, it doesn't matter as long as it's the full fat stuff. You can do it with cherry coke too apparently smile

SuckItAndSee Tue 17-Dec-13 20:48:02

roller, every time.
as long as its the proper sugary stuff it's fine

SunnyL Tue 17-Dec-13 20:56:55

I use 'Cooncil Cola' as its called round here. So long as its full fat it doesn't matter what brand you use.

RiojaHaze Tue 17-Dec-13 21:02:55

Can't tell the difference between coca-cola and Aldi's 19p stuff in our house!

OwlBeThereForYou Wed 18-Dec-13 00:39:10

Thanks everyone! Think I may do some experimenting! Cola and cherry? Love the sound of it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now