Christmas eve food... what to have

(31 Posts)
BankerMommy2010 Tue 17-Dec-13 19:16:59

Christmas eve is my most favourite day of Christmas so we like to eat something yummy for tea... I need some ideas, were ditching the takeaway this year, but I have no clue what to do... something we can eat from the sofa after ds has gone to bed x

CrazyOldCatLady Wed 18-Dec-13 12:16:56

We're having duck rillettes and mushroom pate (I was going to make both but ended up finding them in M&S instead grin) on some nice bread, with a nice oozy cheese and some chutney.

Sevens Wed 18-Dec-13 09:09:42

We now have a tradition of fried chicken on Christmas Eve... five years ago I was (heavily!) pregnant with dd1 and we'd decided to have one last nice meal out together before baby, but couldn't find anywhere nearby serving food late on Christmas Eve, so ended up having a very unromantic evening trudging round before settling on our local fried chicken shop. I went into labour the following afternoon on Christmas Day grin Dp now cooks us fried chicken every Christmas Eve smile

lookout Wed 18-Dec-13 07:36:18

Another cheese fondue here. We started it add a tradition last year and I'm going it'll take off. It's a once a year treat. But I wouldn't suggest eating it from the sofagrin

Bertrude Wed 18-Dec-13 06:52:41

Traditional Christmas Eve curry for us!

GobbySadcase Wed 18-Dec-13 00:30:49

We're having Nigella's gammon in coke (not that kind)

TheXmasLogIn Wed 18-Dec-13 00:28:08

Another mini buffet/party food here (just me and 2DC) things like sausage rolls, mini pizzas, crisps, carrot sticks and lots of dips. I put it all out around 5ish, on the coffee table in the living room and we pick at it while watching a film. Once the DC are in bed I scoff Santaa's mince pies and drink Baileys fgrin

The tradition alway used to be a trip to McDonalds on Christmas Eve but the DC both vetoed that a couple of years ago fshock because they didn't want to go out in case they missed Santa. I liked it because it meant no cooking/washing up but I was outnumbered.

Onefewernow Tue 17-Dec-13 23:24:21

Like Barmix- simple and fish related

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 17-Dec-13 23:17:00

A mini party food buffet before we go to mass, then a drink afterwards.
Although our mass is at the random time of 5.30 this year so might not crack open any booze straight after or Santa won't be delivering much grin

member Tue 17-Dec-13 23:16:14

We're another ham/gammon family - I do a much bigger one than normal so there is plenty to have cold on boxing day.

trio of tiny puddings << blush >>

We have a tradition:

vegetable grills for DH and I
fish fingers for the DC
chips
salad
lots of sauces/dips

trifle (but this year I'm planning a trip of tiny puddings)

Then in the evening- a buffet. French bread, baked brie, crisps, fresh salsa, cakes.

CoffeeChocolateWine Tue 17-Dec-13 23:11:36

Our Christmas eve meal tradition is a Swiss cheese fondue. I'm more excited by that than the actual Christmas dinner!

RubyLovesShopping Tue 17-Dec-13 22:32:54

We have macaroni cheese with red onion in or paella. We eat about 4 then the dc have popcorn with a DVD at 630.

Ledkr Tue 17-Dec-13 22:31:58

I can't be bothered to do buffet cis doing it for days after. We had a take away last year but too filling.
I like the tapas idea, it's our anniversary too so I like it a bit special.

daimbardiva Tue 17-Dec-13 22:26:33

Er, pudding!

PipkinsPal Tue 17-Dec-13 22:26:25

I used to make a venison and red pepper stew, mashed potatoes and broccoli.

daimbardiva Tue 17-Dec-13 22:26:10

We always have venison pie followed by a puffing involving cranberries

Barmix Tue 17-Dec-13 22:23:24

for the last few years i've made a sort of chowder/soup thing - haddock, cream, spuds, parsley, onion & garlic served with parmesan croutons and crusty bread. it's a light meal before the mother of all turkey dinners the next daygrin

Zenzero Tue 17-Dec-13 22:20:00

We usually have a bit of a buffet...a honey roasted ham, soy & cranberry glazed sausages, cheeses, crusty bread, olives, pickles, chutneys, crisps & dips. Planning to make a chocolate chestnut yule log for pud too this year.

ZenNudist Tue 17-Dec-13 20:04:10

Any treat food

Beef Wellington is good.

one year I did chestnut chorizo soup to stave off the meat-fest. Had it with crusty bread, mulled wine and mince pies.

aliciaflorrick Tue 17-Dec-13 19:56:14

We always make a Christmas curry with all the works, it's become a bit of a tradition for us.

ZeViteVitchofCwismas Tue 17-Dec-13 19:54:22

oh pulled pork sounds so yummy!

Lovelybitofsquirrel Tue 17-Dec-13 19:48:01

We often make a curry, totally different from what's to come the next day

BankerMommy2010 Tue 17-Dec-13 19:40:03

Mmmm. I enjoy pulled pork smile I was thinking fresh bread, olives, camembert... mini buffet sounds nice and ds could join us :-/ decisions. ..

TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Tue 17-Dec-13 19:38:29

A ham, cauliflower cheese, mashed potatoes and leeks. Mmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now