Is anyone else alone Christmas Eve/Christmas morning?

(28 Posts)
SPsWantsCliffInHerStocking Tue 17-Dec-13 15:14:17

I just wondered if anyone else is and if so do you have plans to get through it quickly?

My son is at his dads Christmas eve afternoon til Christmas day afternoon. This is my first year alone.

I'm going to my mums Christmas day afternoon where my son will be dropped off at. I just need something to pass time til then.

I was thinking about a Chinese and a film Christmas eve but that's it.

ZombieSquirrel Wed 18-Dec-13 00:31:56

Yes.

DC with their dad.

I'm going to be bored and feel lonely.

So I'm buying myself chocolate as a treat and I'm going to have a long lie in and be nice to myself for once.

ChristmasStrumpet Wed 18-Dec-13 00:03:23

Lots of online sales start Xmas eve and Xmas day. If you are in you could treat yourself to a few bargains and even start next years Xmas shopping.

Sharpkat Tue 17-Dec-13 23:57:55

Am on my own until about 6pm on Christmas Day. I have to work between Christmas and New year and Mum wants to see Grandad in the nursing home as it will be his first Christmas there. She then has a 4 hour drive to get to me.

Am thinking a lie in, then a quick clean and change beds and whack the turkey in.

Rock n' roll grin

sparklysilversequins Tue 17-Dec-13 23:49:46

I am a lone parent too but so far the Christmas thing hasn't been an issue because ex usually comes here for the morning and maybe lunch then goes off and does his own thing. I can see though that that will change at some point.

So me, on Christmas Eve I would finish up my shopping/jobs then go to the cinema, I always go alone so it's no big deal. I would go for a long run or walk with the dog the next morning, come back and make the house beautiful and Christmassy for kids return and make myself scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for breakfast. Then they'd be back.

SPsWantsCliffInHerStocking Tue 17-Dec-13 23:39:31

Thank you for suggestions.

Soup kitchen/old people or church just isn't me. I do all that when I visit family in Ireland for a "holiday".

my grandparents were and now my dad is the warden of a sheltered housing place so Xmas there is spent with everyone

I'm 23 and should be out getting pissed on Xmas eve but I'm not. Same as New Years as that's happy family day too and I'm babysitting instead even though my own son with his dad.

I have had friends say how they were jealous of me, how they would love to be alone Christmas eve/day and new years when in fact they could join me instead or even invite me but they wouldn't because its bullshit.

Its not any fun been alone. I am alone every night. I watch TV all the time, I do what I want when I want etc already so its not new.

I now have a stomach bug and I took too much cough medicine which hasn't settled right.

There's the moaning done. So time to just woman on and get on with it

sparklysilversequins Tue 17-Dec-13 23:32:28

Box set of something fab. I suggest Mad Men or Game Of Thrones. You watch three episodes and have a bath and that's an entire morning gone.

alltoomuchrightnow Tue 17-Dec-13 23:29:59

I would rather be partying too , already have too much peace/ time to self... I prefer it when things are lively/ busy.. also SPs (and I'm not talking about Ragwort here , who is perhaps the lovely exception!) in your experience.. as it is mine.. do you think the people who suggest all the soup kitchens or old folks homes, would never in a million years do it themselves on Christmas Day? I would accept this from busy people who still volunteer.. but it always seems to be from those who never would, and would rather stick rusty nails in their eyes were it other way round.

alltoomuchrightnow Tue 17-Dec-13 23:25:26

am spending all of Christmas Day/ Boxing alone..which have never done.. can't say i'm looking forward to it... I don't have kids so I heavily get the hint that everyone with kids that's everyone then will be doing 'family stuff' - but it's still a vast improvement on last year when drunken abusive alcoholic ex tried to kill me The fact he is now EX is at least the good in the being alone. Got to say, usually felt alone when with him too.. as to the volunteering suggestions.. in this area they're turning vol's away! for the soup kitchens etc. too many people.. and i agree with SPs. No happy families want the lonely single person ruining their Christmas (even though I'm great with kids and wouldn't be mopey.. far from it) I facking hate this time of year... Trouble is to escape the ex I came back to my home town and most people got the right idea and left so v few friends around here now. I'm cat sitting for a friend so can't get away anywhere

bumbumsmummy Tue 17-Dec-13 18:05:42

This used to happen to me so its have a Chinese n a drink and then Christmas morning it was baileys coffee, smoked salmon brekkie duvet pjs n a DVD boxset it was ace

Felt a bit smug when everyone was frazzled come Boxing Day n I was all chilled

3bunnies Tue 17-Dec-13 18:00:35

Lurk on Mumsnet watching the live feeds on MIL/FIL. Or is it just me that wishes I was reading them rather than being one? I hope that you have a good time whatever you decide to do.

furlinedsheepskinjacket Tue 17-Dec-13 16:15:25

I always wrap pressies xmas eve that and nice food and a drink and something good on telly.sorted.

DoingItForMyself Tue 17-Dec-13 16:10:03

Just discussing the idea with my DCs. Their dad suggested they stay at his, then all come round in the morning. I thought it was a good idea as I won't have to stay up til 1am to make sure they're asleep before I can sort stuff out!

Perhaps you could get yourself a posh breakfast, a nice festive film to watch and spend some time having a lovely soak and doing your nails so you feel fab later.

Christmas is a season, not just a day, whichever day you celebrate it will be special. Xx

BankerMommy2010 Tue 17-Dec-13 16:07:35

Are you in the mood for meeting anyone else? What about registering for online dating. ..you could have a night of cheeky flirting smile

Just treat it as any other day... Christmas will start for you at Christmas day afternoon x

SPsWantsCliffInHerStocking Tue 17-Dec-13 15:58:35

Thank you all for suggestions. Just feeling down about it. I also have a sickness bug which doesn't help.

no room at my mums for me.

I still have presents to buy so could spend some of Christmas eve doing that.

No friends want me. They are all happy with their families and don't want a lonely single mum ruining it.

garlicbaubles Tue 17-Dec-13 15:54:38

I've just agreed to go to my parents' for Christmas Day shock I often spend it alone, and like it!

My plan for this year was:
Nice local pub on Christmas Eve. Nothing leery, just a few drinks around people & friendly Christmas wishes.
Bar of local hotel for an hour of the same before lunch.
Posh dinner of my choosing (was dithering between lamb & venison) at home, plenty of booze & Stollen, watch daft films on telly.
Courtesy phone calls in the evening, bit of drunk Mumsnetting and Facebooking, stuff face, bed.

Have a lovely time smile I'll be doing the Mumsnetting anyway, so will drop in & say -hic-- hello!

PoshPaula Tue 17-Dec-13 15:52:49

I have been alone on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day morning for the same reasons as you OP, and I did find it very difficult. If it was to happen to me now... well I always said I would find something to do to help others e.g. get busy volunteering at a shelter for the homeless or something. Alternatively I would do as many things i.e. little treats that make me happy, indoors, as I could - champagne, a bath, a great book, TV in bed, lovely food - whatever.

BankerMommy2010 Tue 17-Dec-13 15:47:52

sad thats a shame? Would one friend not ask you to join their family, I know I would if my friend was alone!

Could you not stay at your moms?

Ragwort Tue 17-Dec-13 15:44:29

SPs - whatever floats your boat, it's possible to do both grin.

velvetmoon Tue 17-Dec-13 15:40:19

Me! DH will be working all of Christmas Eve and Christmas morning, so I'll be curled up with a book and a glass of sherry cup of tea. Use it to indulge yourself and have some quiet time (or dance around the room if you're so inclined)! It's not a great situation but make the most of being by yourself smile.

SPsWantsCliffInHerStocking Tue 17-Dec-13 15:34:21

Rag Thank you for suggestions but I don't think old people lunches or church are for me. In the West of York-Shire.

I should be out partying at my age grin

SantasTessTackle Tue 17-Dec-13 15:34:07

I'm not partying SP. Just a quiet drink and present exchange so I'm not sobbing into a mojito on my own at home grin

SPsWantsCliffInHerStocking Tue 17-Dec-13 15:32:37

cake its about me twice a week so nothing new grin I just haven't spent Christmas without my son before.

No partying as I'm off to a house which will have a pre-teen, teen and 3 under 4s. grin

I'm used to spending nights alone but it just feels crappy that its Christmas

Ragwort Tue 17-Dec-13 15:31:39

I don't know whereabouts you live but most areas have Christmas shelters/old people's lunches that sort of thing - would that be an option for you? I have often volunteered at Christmas and really enjoy it much more than sitting around with my family grin.

Churches will be busy smile - Midnight Mass is a lovely service.

caketinrosie Tue 17-Dec-13 15:27:07

Ooh it's all going to HAVE to be about you! Get lovely food in, get a fab film/box set get some lovely freshly laundered pjs. Run a lovely bath with lots of posh bubbles. Do all the beauty stuff we never get round to doing and just really pamper yourself. Don't drink too much or you may tip into drunken sadness and will go to bed feeling crap. But drink a little of something lovely. Then in the morning get your poshest glam outfit on and get ready to start partying. fgrin

SantasTessTackle Tue 17-Dec-13 15:21:16

DD's at her dads Christmas Eve until Christmas morning so I'm going for a drink with my (childless) best friend.

I've never been drinking on Christmas Eve blush feel a bit naughty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now