What is your twitch food?

(25 Posts)
Hohohowhatfuckeryitis Mon 16-Dec-13 18:44:11

Dh's is boxes of Biscuits for Cheese. One year we had three shock because I got him some, he insisted we hadn't got any, then went shopping alone and thought we needed some more. We were eating them in chuffing September.

CaptainSweatPants Mon 16-Dec-13 18:47:39

ours never get eaten, I usually end up giving them to the birds!

ours is milk & bread, mostly because mil thinks we don't know she's still smoking so 'pops out for a pint / loaf ' ever 5 minutes fhmm

CaptainSweatPants Mon 16-Dec-13 18:49:16

mine is gin. I won't cope without it....

Hohohowhatfuckeryitis Mon 16-Dec-13 18:50:32

I didn't mean essentials Captain. but I did have three bottles of whiskey smile

Doyouthinktheysaurus Mon 16-Dec-13 18:53:14

Cheese! Can't stop buying it!

And loo rollsfhmm

I'm stuck in the 70's when the shops were closed for days and can't get my head around the fact I'll be able to buy some Boxing Day if by some miracle we ran out!

Hassled Mon 16-Dec-13 18:55:56

Brandy butter. DH loves the concept of brandy butter possibly more than he loves me and the kids. So he buys it, lots of it. We already have too much brandy butter (actually now we have Cointreau and whisky and god knows what butter) and most of it will go off before Christmas. But it will just keep somehow falling into his shopping basket hmm.

NorbertDentressangle Mon 16-Dec-13 18:59:38

It tends to be mixers and soft drinks in our house - we always end up with tonic water, bitter lemon, lemonade, coke etc .

The only one we drink out of those is tonic water (with gin) and the DC occasionally have lemonade.

Dawndonnaagain Mon 16-Dec-13 19:09:25

Potatoes. I do roast on Christmas day, Mash on boxing day and Potato Salad the day after. I worry.

TheDayOfMyDoctor Mon 16-Dec-13 21:42:11

I appear to have overstocked on toilet roll, toothpaste and deodorant this year. I live within 5 mins drive of a big sainsbury's, morrisons, Asda and tesco, which are all closed for all of one day...

DancingLady Mon 16-Dec-13 21:51:49

DH stocks up on pickles and pate. I think we still have loads, unopened, from last year... And oh my god cheese. About 15 types, stinking out the fridge, slowly going hard...

Mine - booze, and chocolate. (For me.) I buy it to give as gifts but end up keeping it.

Coveredinweetabix Mon 16-Dec-13 23:48:41

Whilst I know that the shops are shut for less than 36 hours and that we have three supermarkets less than 10 mins away and another 3 less than 20 mins away, I still go crazy and stock up on all manner of things like toothpaste, loo roll, cling film and baked beans as I can't be bothered with the hassle of having to nip to the supermarket between all of the other things we have planned. I don't mind too much though as its not as if any of that stuff is going to go off.
I must ignore any more twitches to buy loo roll though as, having checked earlier if we had enough, I discovered we have the unopened 16 pack I bought last week as well as an unopened 12 pack which I must have bought the week before and are only part of the way through another 12 pack and that's ignoring the 4 pack of Christmas loo roll.

SPsWantsCliffInHerStocking Mon 16-Dec-13 23:52:41

Cheese. I am so lazy when it comes to cheese.

In the fridge I have:

2 blocks
2 bags of grated
1 pack of slices
1 tub of Philadelphia
1 tub of spreadable cheese

TheOnlySevenSleighbells Tue 17-Dec-13 00:12:39

Oddly mine is vegetables. We will have 4 adults and 2 vegetable- hating DC for Christmas dinner, but what if the 5 parsnips I do are g enough and someone wants extras?!

TheOnlySevenSleighbells Tue 17-Dec-13 00:14:04

SP you can never have too much cheese, the more stinky the better.

AlternativeMoniker53 Tue 17-Dec-13 00:21:54

Butter, I've currently got 7 pats in the fridge. Mayonnaise, need at least one, probably two, spare jars in the cupboard. Cointreau cream. It's a mystery why I struggle with my weight, isn't it?

MrsBranestawm Tue 17-Dec-13 00:24:06

Satsumas, for sure.

Also potatoes, cream, milk and lettuce.

Cheese too.

Quite a lot of things actually. It's almost as if I think I have to pass some kind of larder inventory test!

velvetmoon Tue 17-Dec-13 11:52:45

Sherry! Just in case anybody pops round at the last minute...we always end up with bottles left over for the next Christmas.

I always go slightly mad making mince pies as well - but they freeze so we're usually eating them until March!

ShatnersBassoon Tue 17-Dec-13 11:56:04

Chocolates. I try not to buy any because I'm always bought a lot as presents, but then it gets to about this time and I start worrying that there'll be none in my presents so buy some just in case. Every year this happens, every year I regret it.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 17-Dec-13 11:58:13

Oh, and stuffing! DH always makes it, but every year I buy a packet of dried stuff just in case he lets me down. He never has, and he always gets annoyed when he sees the packet of stuffing tucked away grin.

Creamycoolerwithcream Tue 17-Dec-13 14:07:45

Gravy, toiletries, cleaning products, fizzy drink and wine. I could possibly never leave my house ever again and still stay clean and drunk!

minimalisthoarder Tue 17-Dec-13 14:20:51

I was going to have to ask what a twitch food was, but I think I get it grin

I'm with Shatners. I almost make it to Christmas every year with a reasonable amount. Then somehow I go a bit doolally during the last shop and buy up half the stock, just in case we need a just-in-case present you see. Then we get given a whole load...

I'm the same in airports actually. I get there, check in my suitcase (no way are my toiletry requirements making it through security and their one diddly bag of mini liquid bottles) with one perfectly reasonable carry-on handbag. Then I lose the plot and end up carrying half of Boots and WHSmith on in carrier bags that are cutting off the circulation in my hands. Because a 45-minute flight to Amsterdam needs diet coke, water, the newspaper, a magazine, emergency chocolate, painkillers, a new chick lit and a puzzle book of which I will do 5 pages before it joins the lonely stack of abandoned issues dating back 10 years at home.

Obviously. blush

Tubs of sweetsfgrin
Used to be loo rolls but since buying in bulk at Costco we are literally awash with bloody loo rolls!

mrspremise Tue 17-Dec-13 21:31:43

Hassled Brandy butter popcorn is amazing! A good reason to lay in stocks for the year... smile

dyzzidi Tue 17-Dec-13 21:36:11

Ours it party food. We are so lazy over Xmas that we stock up for random guests and visitors and literally eat it until february

dandelionsRflowers Wed 18-Dec-13 10:14:59

Toilet roll although this is a year round thing Pickled onions, it must be the biggest jar I can find, then I'll buy another just in case. I'm the only one who eats them.

Shloer seems to be making a big appearance this year too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now