Christmas food shopping

(25 Posts)
BobCrotchstitch Tue 17-Dec-13 10:40:53

Waitrose booked for 8pm on the 23rd. Anything missing I will assume they don't have as they are normally very good in that respect. I could do an emergency dash to sainsburys on Christmas Eve but it would have to be something vital like alcohol sprouts missing to force me into that fgrin

5HundredUsernamesLater Tue 17-Dec-13 05:47:58

I've been buying extra of everyday stuff, loo rolls, tea bags, coffee, frozen food etc on past few shops to spread the cost and that means I can go a bit mad on luxury stuff in my last shop before christmas which is a sainsburys delivery on the 23rd.

Turkey and ham in freezer
Waitrose canapé nibbly things in freezer
Have been buying bits for last few weeks also
Sainsburys slot booked for Sunday morning
Will be out and about Monday and Tuesday so can get any bits needed

Last year I got up early on Xmas eve and was outside Waitrose as it opened. Not bothering with that this year. Anything I need on Xmas eve will be from the Co-Op!

raisah Tue 17-Dec-13 04:16:11

Here is a similar thread, you might find some helpful tips:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/Christmas/1933538-Thread-to-help-plan-Christmas-food-shopping

Sharpkat Mon 16-Dec-13 20:21:49

Am living on the edge and have booked a tesco delivery for 7am on 24th!!! Must be totally mad grin

Ive only got Saturday night or Monday night as I'm at work all day Sunday and its my dh birthday on Christmas eve!
Ive got chocolate and booze in so its just fresh stuff and nibbles to get. Ive also got the smallest freezer known to man so I can't buy those frozen party packs of nibbles.

ChristmasYoni Mon 16-Dec-13 19:43:37

Going to go early Monday morning just as the shops open. My annual leave fell nice this year! Will hopefully be a quick in an out job as I have some frozen bits and my meat etc just need the fresh.

Nix01 Mon 16-Dec-13 19:10:06

It's all being delivered on 23rd

Bonkerz Mon 16-Dec-13 19:07:22

Asda booze delivery Saturday, food delivery 23rd.

Pollywallywinkles Mon 16-Dec-13 19:04:46

We will only need to get fresh stuff (unless I remember something I've forgotten), but haven't yet decided when to do the shopping. I loath shopping on Sundays, but that is looking like the favourable day at this point in time.

Taffeta Mon 16-Dec-13 18:53:42

Sains delivery on 20th, Waitrose on 22nd. Have a party on 22nd. Turkey coming 22nd but if there's a problem DH will pick one up on his way back from work on 23rd, there are always loads on the shelves.

Fruit and veg van delivering 22nd. Made the cake, hamper providing pudding, mince pies made and in freezer.

I will be going shopping again on 27th as have 12 for lunch on 28th.

BellaVita Mon 16-Dec-13 18:37:11

I put my foot down as said we were going out and if anyone wanted to join us but pay for themselves then they were welcome to do that. We were met with silence grin.

DH was really really poorly last year and in hospital from the 16th Dec to the 7th Jan. I still hosted as I had everything ordered. I was on my knees by Christmas night as I did two trips to the hospital, he was going down for a third OP and when I got there he had already gone down so I had to turn around and come all the way back and wait for a phone call. To be fair, my parents helped a lot but it was still exhausting.

It is going to be strange this year, but I am looking forward to not getting up at stupid o'clock to put the pork in so it cooks in time for the turkey to go in and I will be able to sit and watch the boys open their presents properly rather than running around getting everyone's breakfast.

AnnBryce Mon 16-Dec-13 18:34:12

Waitrose delivery coming 23rd. Booked the end of sep.

BikeRunSki Mon 16-Dec-13 18:31:07

Tesco slot coming on Sat morning. We're away then until 23. Veg being delivered on 24. Meat is in freezer (at DH request to save aggro. Is chicken breasts, I don't eat meat I don't care). Puds bought a while ago. Should get cake from MiL at week end.

CaptainSweatPants Mon 16-Dec-13 18:27:06

bellavita - envy

we're on our own next Christmas and I for one can't effing wait

this year I'm putting up with the inlaws, martyed sigh

BellaVita Mon 16-Dec-13 18:25:57

Thank fuck for the first time in 15 years I am not hosting and we as in DH, me and our two teen boys Re going out for lunch and doing our own thing.

NO.SHOPPING.COOKING.CLEANING. grin

AngryFeet Mon 16-Dec-13 18:24:20

I am not buying anything for the first year in a long time! Everything we are doing is at someone elses house. So happy - normally I host everythng including a NYE party so I am grateful for the lack of stress after a stressful year moving house smile

CaptainSweatPants Mon 16-Dec-13 18:21:33

why do you think the shelves will be empty on Saturday night? You can always go again if you need anything on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday!

ihatethecold Mon 16-Dec-13 18:18:01

Not done anything yet apart from having a big frozen turkey in the freezer.
I really hate food shopping and I'm guessing that all the Xmas food delivery slots have gone!

Bakerof3pudsxx Mon 16-Dec-13 18:07:10

Slot booked for Sunday

Nothing bought yet

No list yet

Oops

Frozenatchristmas Mon 16-Dec-13 18:03:28

I have an asda slot on Monday night. Fingers crossed.

Aintnobodylovesnanbetter Mon 16-Dec-13 17:51:52

I'm going on friday after dropped my dd at school then getting my veg,salad and fruit on xmas eve from our local farm shop.
I've done a meal plan that includes new year too so hopefully between xmas and new year i won't have to go near a shop

MummyPig24 Mon 16-Dec-13 17:34:13

I am getting all confused and flustered over what I need to buy!

I've got stuffing and pigs in blankets in the freezer, turkey is ordered. I've got veg coming in this weeks shopping but it will be gone by Christmas so I will do a top up of veg on Christmas Eve. Have got some drinks, crisps and mince pies in. I don't really know what else we want or need.

lizzywig Mon 16-Dec-13 16:53:38

I've been getting storecupboard things over the last few months. Then Saturday gone I bought everything needed until the end of the year + frozen xmas items + remaining drinks + fresh with a long date. I will get the last of the fresh things this Saturday morning. If it's hell (which it usually is) st least the list will be smallish.

Ive started to panic over the Christmas food shopping, when is everyone doing theirs? What will you be buying?
I don't know whether to go on Saturday night and risk the shelves being empty or do it after work on Monday and face the crowds.
I think the copious amounts of Christmas baileys ive drank have addled my brain and I can't seem to make a decision. I don't even know what I'm going to cook Christmas day fconfused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now