Do you make sure your dc's get all the items on their letter to Santa?

(102 Posts)
omama Sun 15-Dec-13 19:28:44

We finished all our Christmas shopping a few weeks ago. Did letter to Santa last week & DS (3.4) asked me to put 4 items on it - 2 toys, a game & a pack of chocolate coins. We'd already bought the toys & chocolate coins, but hadn't bought the game.

Its a cross between a board game & buckaroo - looks fun but reading reviews think might still be a bit tricky for DS to play until he's a bit older, so not overly keen to buy it. Plus we've already spent plenty on the presents we've already got.

But.... am remembering last year when he didn't get a particular item & went on about it all day I don't want to disappoint him & am having a 'should I buy it?' wobble

Have you ever NOT bought a much wanted item they had asked Santa for? Did they forget about it when they saw all their other presents? clutches at straws & kicks self for not having done letter to Santa earlier hmm

ellesabe Sun 15-Dec-13 19:32:09

I'm dreading the year my dc (currently 3yo and 1yo) want to write that letter.

<unhelpful>

PandaNot Sun 15-Dec-13 19:34:09

Not usually no. We have a discussion about Santa not bringing everything on the list. However we do try to get the things they have asked for the most.

Hmm. If he asked for one toy only then you're a bit stuck. If multiple were asked for then it's ok to choose one or two as the elves have lots if children to make toys for. This teaching you might get some but not all what you ask for.....

VivaLeBeaver Sun 15-Dec-13 19:35:09

Not all, not by a long shot.

Dd wants a £350 lego set......she won't be getting it.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 15-Dec-13 19:36:07

You've got him three out of four things on his list. That's fine.

ShoeWhore Sun 15-Dec-13 19:37:22

My dcs only put one thing in the letter (their idea not mine!) and they are pretty clear that Santa might bring it or he might have an even better idea. grin

ChristmasJumperWearer Sun 15-Dec-13 19:37:47

Last year we had to say that Father Christmas didn't have time to make everything DD wanted (she was 4yo) but we would give it to her for her birthday in summer. She understood and waited for the missing item, and the wait made the present very hotly anticipated.

Or say he can buy it with any money he's given for Christmas?

Crikeyblimey Sun 15-Dec-13 19:37:54

No way!

Ds's letter always starts "Dear FC, please can I have all, some or none of the following..."

Sometimes he brings things that weren't on the list, sometimes he brings most of the list.

The last items on ds's list are often "a book, a game and a surprise".

blackandwhiteandredallover Sun 15-Dec-13 19:44:12

I have got them everything on their lists- they each had 3 things. However DD1 did rewrite her list after I had spent a week making not-so-subtle hints that she might not want Sugar the Seal after all because it lools like an expensive pile of crap

Could you perhaps point him in the direction of a different game instead?

Bakerof3pudsxx Sun 15-Dec-13 19:45:34

I might of guided the lists in the right direction .......

Cat98 Sun 15-Dec-13 19:45:38

Most of them but not all. Also some of them will be from family not Santa - not sure how we'll explain that one!

Father Christmas uses any letter written here as a suggestion list - last year DS2 got both things on his list (a towel with his name on and a pencil sharpener) this year he won't get one thing off his list (a pair of football boots) but not the other as even Santa, as magical as he is, can't bring him a baby sister!

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Sun 15-Dec-13 19:51:16

I do a mix of asking what they want/suggesting what they might like (usually the bargains I've bought earlier in the year). I bought my DD a scooter in July as it was do cheap, and she mentioned needing a new scooter when at her gran's only 2 wks ago. Subtle suggestions are really good for making DC think it's what they want grin

17leftfeet Sun 15-Dec-13 19:51:35

A letter to Santa is a wish list not an order form

They only time I went out of my way to buy dd something is if she specifically asked when we went to visit Santa in his grotto which one year resulted in taking back some sylvanian family bits and getting a scooby do mystery machine grin

TheNightIsDark Sun 15-Dec-13 19:51:49

Manipulated the lists so they asked for what I have already got them blush

messagetoyourudy Sun 15-Dec-13 19:54:56

I have always told my 2boys (7&9) you might get some of the stuff you want but Father Christmas only gets small things as he has ALL the children to deliver too and his sledge will be too full.

This year my DS2 has asked for only a few things - a cuddly father Christmas, slippers, nerf bullets, chocolate, a baby sylvanian & a transfer book.
However my DS1 has done the usual massive expensive list including Scalextic, Wii games, DS games, sylvanian hotel, so I have picked out a few reasonable things like cashew nuts, bubble bath, Matt Smith dress up = cheap bow tie & fez.

Now I feel bad that my youngest has got pretty much everything on his list but my eldest doesn't by any stretch.....

I'm sure your DS will get loads of presents he loves - can you ask anyone in the family to get the game?

SpottyChristmasCakes Sun 15-Dec-13 19:55:21

Dd's asked for a sausage robot confused so no! grin

Taffeta Sun 15-Dec-13 19:56:26

No. DD had a purple guitar case on her list and the don't do them. They do purple guitars, she has one of those already with a perfectly good black case.

But she's getting the main item. These beasts. fgrin

BornToFolk Sun 15-Dec-13 19:57:28

Me too TheNightIsDark blush Oh, DS, didn't you mention that you wanted some books?

I do get everything on DS's list as it's usually quite vague (i.e some Lego, not a specific massive set), short, and, I do direct him!

In your situation OP I probably would buy the game, as long it's not masses of money.

NowBringUsSomeFuzzpiggyPudding Sun 15-Dec-13 19:59:24

Mine haven't written a letter yet, they are 6 and 4. Well maybe they've written them at school, I'm not sure.

They get things they've mentioned if they are worth buying (thankfully we are not yet at the "latest toy" phase) so DD has got a playmobil pool that I know she adores having played with it at a friend's house. And she did say recently she would really love some sparkly silver dressing up shoes like a school friend has, I found some that she will love so I bought them even though I think they are tacky as hell. I had said that she wouldn't be allowed to wear anything too high, but thankfully I found some that are reasonable.

I don't really like the idea of writing a letter to ask for things, but I can't really articulate why fconfused

jamtoast12 Sun 15-Dec-13 20:11:44

Usually I do as long as not overly expensive. Mine are 8&6 so not into massively expensive stuff yet. They are also old enough to read reviews first! At a younger age I did try to get everything, either from Santa or family members. Now they are guided a lot by me as they know Santa won't bring things parents disagree with, like an age inappropriate toy for example

CloserLook Sun 15-Dec-13 20:20:55

My ds changes his mind frequently as to what he wants which can be frustrating! We've got the 4 items on the original letter he did a few weeks ago (although 1 is too big to fit in the stocking so it's actually going under the tree from us) plus a couple he's been going on about all year but forgot to put on the list.

I told him yesterday when he asked that the sleigh will be packed by now and reminded him what was in his letter. He seems happy with that.

OP I think I'd get the game if it's easy to get and not way too old for him but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sometimes Santa might have to get a different and more suitable item (which you've probably already got). I'm sure he'll be happy with what he gets.

hallowisitmeyourelookingfor Sun 15-Dec-13 20:37:23

No, we never have done because there may be one year when you can't afford everything/don't want to buy everything/something's out of stock.
Our DDs write a sort of wish list, there are quite a few things they put on them, ranging from (this year) - pencils and a dragon rubber (?!) to iPods and kindles.
I asked them to write their lists before DD2 had a birthday so could helpfully point people in a certain direction if they asked for ideas of what to buy her.
We have ended up buying most of the things but not all.

youbethemummylion Sun 15-Dec-13 20:43:23

I guide the lettet writing towards things I have already bought but they always add extra things as well I purposefully dont get everything on the list as its important they realise you dont always get everything you want

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now