Which chocolates are a Christmas must have?

(66 Posts)
MummyPig24 Sun 15-Dec-13 08:45:50

We have already eaten a tin of roses blush and the kids have a selection box in their sack.

But which chocolates do you absolutely always have to have at Christmas time? I am hoping someone gets us a tub of heroes smile

Hessy Tue 17-Dec-13 20:35:55

Has anyone said Florentines yet?!

clandy Thorntons do lovely chocolate covered Turkish delight, a large box for £6.99 or smaller bars for £1, love it!

MrsBennetsEldest Tue 17-Dec-13 08:02:40

Thanks raisah, I have seen the small boxes but it's the giant ones I miss. I know, we are pigs.grin

raisah Tue 17-Dec-13 05:30:30

MrsBennetsEldest - you can buy Anthon Berg chocolates from Amazon.
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002YHU8L8

Try Waitrose aswell.

Greentriangle82 Mon 16-Dec-13 21:51:55

Asda's own truffles £1 a box are lovely.
Roses, match makers, after eights

Damnautocorrect Mon 16-Dec-13 16:14:33

Yes yes to the quality street change, made my teeth hurt as there's too much sugar

Beastofburden Mon 16-Dec-13 16:03:34

They look the same. Except the box is a crappy plastic one and not the sound metal tin that then pops up, slightly rusty, with cake in it for years (nostalgic).

But they have done something to the chocolate. And the brasil nuts are a weedy shadow of their former self. Some pathetic sliver of nut sweepings instead of a proper big nut. And the green triangles are no longer right.

ZeViteVitchofCwismas Mon 16-Dec-13 15:56:52

Have they really, reaLLY changed quality S?

How?

tshirtsuntan Mon 16-Dec-13 14:05:13

bunty I hope he gets it, what does an ambassador actually do? grin you should stock up ready, tesco have endless different permutations of the nutty balls at the moment wink

callmekitten Mon 16-Dec-13 03:06:04

Chocolate orange
Chocolate coins
We also have a candy maker in town and we get a selection of favorites from them-truffles, nougats, toffee, chocolate covered nuts

TheRaniOfYawn Mon 16-Dec-13 02:38:41

Chocolate reindeer, Santa and coins in stocking

Bendicks bittermints

Aldi matchmakers

Lindor

Mark de champagne truffled

Home-made peppermint bark with ganache filling.

Clandy Sun 15-Dec-13 23:37:33

Does nobody eat chocolate covered Turkish delight anymore?? I really fancy some. Cadburys did one but it wasn't fab. This is what I want this Christmas.

Obviously quality street, toblerone, after eights and a chocolate orange are compulsory!

Foil wrapped coins. In a stocking.

And Marc de Champagne Truffles - the pink ones

Beastofburden Sun 15-Dec-13 21:44:13

It may be retro but actually the daddy of all chocolate brasils is Paynes. Haven't had them for years though.

lookout Sun 15-Dec-13 21:42:59

I am so pleased I'm not the only who's gone off Quality Street, they have changed them, haven't they? The violet and rose creams sounds amazing.

tombakerscarf Sun 15-Dec-13 21:40:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Taffeta Sun 15-Dec-13 21:28:50

Quality St tin
Posh nougat (Aldi)
Bittermints
Dark orange creams (Harrods English are the best but the 99p shop ones are acceptable too fgrin )
Home made marzipan balls dipped in dark chocolate (from Christmas cake trimmings )

I also have a box of Butlers in the hamper work sent.

not2nitedarling Sun 15-Dec-13 21:25:59

mmm yes
matchmakers
tin of quality street
tin of roses
choc orange
choc brazil nuts

ExitPursuedByAChristmasGrinch Sun 15-Dec-13 21:21:01

Rose & Violet cremes.

<channels Queen Mum>

VivaLeBeaver Sun 15-Dec-13 21:18:54

Mingles. sad

ChippyMinton Sun 15-Dec-13 21:18:25

Roses are good this year. Has anyone tried the Thorntons pudding / dessert box?

Beastofburden Sun 15-Dec-13 21:17:03

Used to buy Charbonnel and Walker rose and violet creams. But hotel chocolat is better and fresher.

Much the cheapest way is to buy the little plastic taster boxes of six chocolates, if you get three or more they are cheaper. For some reason, exactly the same chocolates cost way more in the H-boxes. Weird.

As a child, quality street, but they have ruined them now, especially the purple Brazil nut ones. Cheap bastards. sad

Stockings must have jelly beans in them. Tis the law.

Marcelinewhyareyousomean Sun 15-Dec-13 21:10:46

thanks mrscynical. HdC it is. I will make sometimes Christmas.

ZeViteVitchofCwismas Sun 15-Dec-13 20:37:17

Mint matchmakers

buy one get TWO fere at the moment in tesco....( brought 6 packs, eaten four) blush

NotMissMiranda Sun 15-Dec-13 20:31:50

Bendicks Bitter Mints and Lintdor (or however you spell it!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now