Presents for teachers - what have you made/ making?

(30 Posts)
Suddengeekgirl Sun 15-Dec-13 08:41:23

I've left it late. I have been disorganised. blush

Ds is in reception and has wonderful teachers and TAs. I'd really like to show my appreciation and not resort to chocolates although I loved them when I was teaching

Inspire me please! fsmile

lookout Sun 15-Dec-13 08:46:31

Mulling Syrup

Fudge

Spiced Nuts

In bottles, jars and little cellophane bags I bought for the job, one each for his teacher and two TAs, all tied up with lovely ribbons and Christmassy material. They look gorgeous!

MummyPig24 Sun 15-Dec-13 09:05:17

I'm going to make fudge because I can do a big batch of it pretty easily (I hope!) I also made chocolate bark last year with marshmallows and candy canes, and one with cranberries and pistachios.

Suddengeekgirl Sun 15-Dec-13 09:17:34

Great ideas!

Where can I get cellophane bags before Thursday? confused

Fudge looks good, I know one teacher doesn't eat chocolate.

Janek Sun 15-Dec-13 09:30:24
werenotreallyhere Sun 15-Dec-13 09:34:44

I've made Nigella's Christmas Chutney with my son and put a label on saying it's his homemade chutney. Except I only made it yesterday, and it tastes vinegary, and I didn't realise it needed 2 odd month to mature (there were no fresh cranberries in the shops then anyway!) oh well, I'm still giving it and hoping it tastes nice by Christmas time

blahe Sun 15-Dec-13 11:29:52

I personally would not eat anything home made. I have seen the complete lack of hygiene the kids have and I don't want to be ill over my Christmas break.

DoingItForMyself Sun 15-Dec-13 12:07:37

If you're going to Poundland for the bags, save yourself the hassle of making stuff and just pick up some After Eights/Jelly Babies instead!

lookout Sun 15-Dec-13 12:51:02

blahe That's why I made them myself, no kids involved wink

blahe Sun 15-Dec-13 13:19:14

fgrin Have you made that known to the teachers though ??!!

werenotreallyhere Sun 15-Dec-13 13:22:25

My son is 4, I'm sure they'll figure out it was mainly me

Suddengeekgirl Sun 15-Dec-13 13:30:10

I have a plan. smile

I'm going to make some felt/ embroidered tree decorations. Small, not expensive (as I have the bits already) and thoughtful - I hope.

blahe - I was a teacher and always 'saved' homemade treats for home. The ones that were from a questionable source were discretely disposed of, but I aways made a big fuss of the giver smile

Buchanon08 Sun 15-Dec-13 16:48:31

We got some red and green Fimo and made holly leaf brooches. Cost about £5, nice and homemade, no hygiene issues!

Dd has made these with just a little help from me.

blahe Sun 15-Dec-13 19:34:25

Suddengeekgirl - absolutely always make a fuss. One of my ds teachers would write on his white board what he wanted that year. Think he got 12 bottles of red wine one time!

lookout Sun 15-Dec-13 21:45:01

blahe no, but I will now! I'm not having all my hard work go down the drain! ungrateful so and so's, these teachers wink

blahe Sun 15-Dec-13 22:48:36

This year I got mini hand warmers and sweets for each of the teachers.

I have also done - mini bottles of wine and chocolate, scarf's, bracelets, bath bombs - can't think what else. I also always try to get gift receipts too so they can change the item if they don't like it.

Horopu Mon 16-Dec-13 06:41:08

My school finished last week. One boy gave me a salami made from duck and wild pig meat that he had shot himself! It is delicious.

ARealPickle Mon 16-Dec-13 06:45:31

That's a private school isn't it Horopu....

I know too many teachers who wont eat anything homemade to make anything edible. Might be chocolates from us as I've left it late...!

SpottyChristmasCakes Mon 16-Dec-13 06:47:10

Dd's at nursery and has six 'teachers'. We've made them each a snowman soup and a reindeer tree dec from hand and foot prints. Stuff they don't have to keep grin

Horopu Mon 16-Dec-13 09:37:52

No ARealPickle it is a NZ state school in a farming area - child has been in late several times cos he is helping artificially inseminate cows!

ARealPickle Mon 16-Dec-13 11:02:08

Wow - that's an impressive reason to be late!

TwoJackRussellsandababy Mon 16-Dec-13 11:30:13

My DS is only two so his helping abilities are somewhat limited and mostly not helpful! But I've made chocolate buttons with melted chocolate and then sprinkles and edible glitter over the top. DS was a very excellent taste tester and the one he helped with was quietly fed to his dad , so win all round wink

lookout Mon 16-Dec-13 18:11:56

Oh noooooo, I'm really worried our presents are gonna go straight in the bin now sad

ARealPickle Mon 16-Dec-13 20:15:31

They often did in our school, Lookout, as teachers didn't want to take any chances.... but that doesn't mean they didn't appreciate the thought! And that wasn't the case for all teachers...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now