(64 Posts)
HanneHolm Mon 09-Dec-13 14:46:44

she - has loads of accessories already
Likes books ( but has kindle)
i dont want to give a spa thing
likes Boden, history, food.
OH GOD i am hopeless

ProfYaffle Mon 09-Dec-13 18:08:50

Some sort of foodie experience day? Chocolate making/butchery demo/sausage making, that sort of thing. Lots of ideas here

I second the good hand cream,magazine subscription,pj but not the Malone suggestions as I don't like it,however, if you do know which perfume that she does like then go for it (I,m Chanel coco mademoiselle for whoever might read this) and more everyday body scrubs/lotions eg soap&glory....hair appointment with top salon would be a bit of a dream...and of course only Hotel Chocolate will do smile

Pollywallywinkles Mon 09-Dec-13 18:35:53

I personally don't care for vouchers.

I'm a similar age to your sister and I still like the same sort of things that I did in my twenties. However I now prefer higher quality things. For example leather gloves rather than woollen, a scarf made of natural materials, or with a soft feel rather than cheap and scratchy. Better quality make up brushes and make up rather than bargain basement. A more subtle fragrance rather than what is one of the in scents. A small box of good quality chocolates rather than a big box of cheaper chocolate.

I still read occasional books even though I am an avid kindle user. So I wouldn't turn my nose up at a paper or hardback.

HanneHolm Mon 09-Dec-13 19:33:36

Oh sorry guys. Had to go out. I'm a reading

HanneHolm Mon 09-Dec-13 19:35:37

Oh god. The diffuser sounds ace. Pis cd box set. Hadn't thought of that. Audible too and lol at cloves

HanneHolm Mon 09-Dec-13 19:35:54

Plus Jo Malone thing. Ta all

XmasAngel13 Mon 09-Dec-13 19:46:11

I am 45 but do not have a sister to buy me gifts but if i did I would love any of the following

Jo Malone bath oil or candle
Diptyque candle
Books - I do have a kindle but love hardback boos especially the classic cloth bound they do in waterstones eg Jane eyre, Christmas Carol etc

Leather purse - nice bright colour

Boden cashmere scarf
Boden sparkly sequinned shoes that I cannot justify buying for myself !

Ipad case - nb LK bennett had some in the sale that were rather lovely

Chanel perfume or body creme
Basically all stuff that I would love but dont buy for myself ......

HanneHolm Mon 09-Dec-13 19:49:01

Lol at rake

HanneHolm Mon 09-Dec-13 19:50:45

wtf is spicery

chicaguapa Mon 09-Dec-13 19:51:10

Would she like a blanket for snuggling on the settee? TK Max have some nice cable knit ones for around £30.

HanneHolm Mon 09-Dec-13 19:51:45

Where's thd Jo Malone layering thing. Can't find it

Floralnomad Mon 09-Dec-13 19:53:39

Its not just any rake ! My sister is about the same age and we've bought her perfume and soap (j'adore) ,and some nails inc nail varnishes .

HanneHolm Mon 09-Dec-13 20:20:28

Snuggle blanket interesting too

Subscription to bbc history magazine?

HanneHolm Wed 11-Dec-13 06:19:13

Right. Spoke to near rest and dearest. The suggestion was a scarf that's more trendy. I know. Not knotted or furry. That goes with blue or brown. I'm thinking becksondergaard. Looked at the asos reduced ones but none right

kissmelittleass Wed 11-Dec-13 09:23:07

Right I like benefit gift make up sets, mac make ups, fleecey pj bottoms, chanel perfume, soap and glory products (there gift set is on offer from friday in boots for £27) fluffy boot slippers, nice fancy socks, set of good nail varnishes..hth

AnnBryce Wed 11-Dec-13 09:27:24

Emma Hardie cleansing balm (came top in The Beauty Bible) & Clinique Aromatics Elixir body crème, this is such a Christmassy smell to me!

princesscupcakemummyb Wed 11-Dec-13 10:24:18

food gift basket?

vouchers to a nice place to dine?

make up gift hamper dressed up all pretty

SolidGold Wed 11-Dec-13 11:40:22

A hamper from M&S, a subscription to Good Food mag, a cover for her kindle (but check which one she has, so you get the right size), a subscription for a bunch of flowers once a month or some cupcakes every month, a subscription to Hotel Chocolate tasting club, a Flavourly box subscription, a Lakeland hamper ... A gift box from Lush? I'm late 40s and love food and reading and would love all these smile

HappyAsEyeAm Wed 11-Dec-13 12:08:39

Whatever she would normally use, upgraded.

So if she likes candles, what about a Jo Malone, or RHS candle (these are lovely, and much cheaper than Jo Malone if you're on a budget)

And if she likes bath or shower products, what about some Molton Brown products (they do 12 x 50ml bath and shower gel, or 6 x 50ml shower gel and 6 x 50 ml body lotion in a box. each box is £38, but they were 25% off a couple of weeks ago). Clinique body scrub and body lotion is lovely too.

Urban Decay Naked or Naked 2 eye shadow pallettes are fab. They are around £30 each.

John Lewis are doing gorgeous Alice tempeley (I think it is) leather gloves for £60 or so. They are lovely, and I am coveting them but have no hope whatsoever of having them

hoboken Wed 11-Dec-13 12:15:07

Membership of the National Trust?
Subscription to National Geographic or History Today?
I think that Virgin does gastronomic experiences

noddyholder Wed 11-Dec-13 13:06:10
HanneHolm Wed 11-Dec-13 16:44:26

she doesnt use make up, I dont think, I got her some last year and she never fed back.
kindle things she has.
Candles - she never reports back on them either
has oodles of pjs
ITS SO HARD

thanks all though

Notawordfromtheladybird Wed 11-Dec-13 18:27:30

a luxurious hand cream. Even if she doesn't know she needs it, once she starts using it, it will be a eureka moment. I never realised how dry my hands got till i started to use hand cream and could see the difference.

Laska42 Wed 11-Dec-13 20:00:27

I bought myself this pink warehouse scarf in the summer for my Christmas present to myself put away in its original wrapping and I will wrap it up so I get one thing I wanted on the day) hmm smile

but this Warehouse one is nice also and reduced (I may order it too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now