Would you go to a Church Carol Service if you're not Christian?

(24 Posts)
TwoMinutesToMidnight Sun 08-Dec-13 21:11:39

On Xmas day?

The local church has a Carol service, I thought it might be a nice thing to do with the dc for an hour, but dh and I are agnostic.

Is this bad form?

It would be a nice thing to do with the dc on Christmas day - so I'd say go - and have a good sing smile

No not at all. Enjoy it.

whereisshe Sun 08-Dec-13 21:17:06

Absolutely. I love carols and singing. And I'm agnostic as well, I'm not sure that matters does it?

ZeViteVitchofCwismas Sun 08-Dec-13 21:18:15

I think you will find most churches postivley welcome all at all times, especially at xmas, we have had a united church leaflet from all churches in our area with break down of services.

Christinle is lovely as are the carols.

ninah Sun 08-Dec-13 21:18:19

you'll probably be in the majority

ShatnersBassoon Sun 08-Dec-13 21:18:44

Not on Christmas Day. It's not all singing, and I'd feel bad for dragging the family out just so I could enjoy a bit of a sing along.

Record Carols From Kings and have a family Christian karaoke jam at home grin

sooperdooper Sun 08-Dec-13 21:20:38

Yes, we sometimes go to the christingle service on Christmas eve and I'm not Christian, but the carols are lovely

I am an atheist, but I like the songs smile I just don't believe them

HerrenaHarridan Sun 08-Dec-13 21:22:54

Personally no. Not even if they were giving away chocolate brownies.

Do I think that you should go?

If you like

ZeViteVitchofCwismas Sun 08-Dec-13 21:28:21

One year a group of us went all atheist and we all agreed the lesson was beautiful, the vicars/priests do tend to usually open up the lessons to all on Christmas...we all really enjoyed it, we agreed it balanced out the soulless consumer crap nicely smile

NoComet Sun 08-Dec-13 21:30:04

No reason why not, I don't believe a word of it, but I shall be at various Christmas services (although not Christmas Day)

Why, a CofE DH and a (atheist/agnostic) church choir singing DD1. Even DD2 will come to kids club, but to see a friend (she doesn't do church at all).

And because the carols and the decorations in church are beautiful and it's a lovely old building and the whole thing gives a breathing space in the whole frantic business of food, decorating, cleaning and presents.

NoComet Sun 08-Dec-13 21:31:16

And I'm quite certain from the turn out at Christmas services that I'm not the only one.

I take our dd's to the christingle on Christmas Eve as well as the carol services, it makes us all feel festive smile

SantanaLopez Sun 08-Dec-13 21:32:37

As long as you don't go on to moan about all the Christian God stuff later on, why not!

ivykaty44 Sun 08-Dec-13 21:33:10

I wouldn't go to church on Christmas day as to me it deflects from the real parts of xmas.

If you want to go through thats fine, its a sing song and I am sure they will be happy to welcome you in.

SunshineMMum Sun 08-Dec-13 21:37:27

I don't see why not, I am Christian, most Churches welcome visitors.

SicknSpan Sun 08-Dec-13 21:40:49

I'm through and through atheist but am really looking forward to either the Xmas eve crib service or midnight mass- haven't decided which yet. I miss the public thanksgiving for the good things that you do as a member of a congregation and so I love both of these services for that purpose.

I don't believe the fairy tales in the bible any more than I believe in little red riding hood but it feels nice to be grateful with other grateful people. Plus I love a good sing song smile

Do it!

lapetitesiren Sun 08-Dec-13 21:41:58

The whole point of christianity is nonjudgmental outreach.go along - you' ll probably be made to feel very welcome( I hope!)

Kirk1 Sun 08-Dec-13 21:44:17

I'm pretty anti-religion but I still took the kids to church for the christingle service. The church attitude (having been part of it) tends to be that as long as you're not actively hostile, they'll wear you down with comfortable familiarity if they can induce you to come back often enough. You will in all likelihood be welcomed and questioned (nicely) by every regular in the place.

notanotherusername1 Sun 08-Dec-13 21:49:37

Not on Christmas day but I go to the one connected with school, although its not a religious school. The Church looks very pretty but I can't bring myself to sing. I don't like religion and the words in the song mean nothing to me.

If you have faith it must be such a wonderful thing to do, especially on Christmas Eve. I would think I would find that more special than Christmas Day.

AnnaBeginsTheChristmasShopping Sun 08-Dec-13 21:52:20

Our church would love it and welcome you with open arms. The church is there for the whole community whenever they want it. Check that the service is child friendly and full of carols, as some Christmas Day services are fairly dry as it tends to just be the stalwarts that go, so a carol service earlier in December might be more fun.

SanityClause Sun 08-Dec-13 21:54:35

I had a very religious upbringing, and although I am now an atheist, I love a good sing. fsmile

TwoMinutesToMidnight Sun 08-Dec-13 22:00:28

Thank you for your balanced comments, I thought I would get a telling off for being a hypocrite!

I went to a Christian school for 7 years (secondary and 6th form), and although I don't believe in any organised religion, I am more than familiar with church services and hymns etc.

santana why on earth would I do that? How disrespectful would that be. What a silly thing to say. Of course I wouldn't do that, and I can't imagine why anyone would voluntarily go to a place of worship and then slag it off afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now