let's see if we can find the best Christmas movie ever!

(251 Posts)
OLittleTownOfBarflehem Sun 08-Dec-13 13:35:34

My favourite is Santa Claus the movie. We watched it in the cinema when I was a little girl, it was my first cinema trip and we ate ice cream in little tubs.

Every year I watch it and enjoy it just as much as I did that first time.

Elf is a close second, then Christmas with the Kranks.

What's your favourite xmas film and why?

Davros Sun 15-Dec-13 13:18:14

Those who like White Christmas, have you seen Holiday Inn? It's much better and is the one in which White Christmas was first sung. Thanks for the reminder about The Man Who Cane To Dinner, that is excellent and I've got the DVD so will dig it out.
As well as lots of the above, also
Bridget Jones Diary
When Harry met Sally
Everyone says I love you (Woody Allen)

AnneWentworth Sun 15-Dec-13 10:41:09

Elf - I love the idea of Christmas Spirit.

But Miracle on 34th Street is just beautiful and Santa Claus will always make me smile.

I have to remember to buy the radio/tv times - I have fond memories of circling all the films to watch. Even thought he TV can show me when everything is on the DC and I still do this.

OLittleTownOfBarflehem Sat 14-Dec-13 23:05:54

DS and I watched Miracle on 34th Street today, and it made me cry. Especially the bit with the judge and the dollar bill...

Vagndidit Wed 11-Dec-13 10:01:02

Are people in this country not familiar with A Christmas Story???

Best.movie.ever! Loves me sum Ralphie!!!

itsonlysubterfuge Wed 11-Dec-13 09:24:08

I'm not sure what my favourite one is, but I really love The Year Without A Santa Claus, the old one. I'm guessing it's not very popular over here, but it's very popular in America. I get the miser brothers song stuck in my head for ages.

I just love all those Christmas TV movies from the 1940's though. Timeless classics.

WhentheRed Wed 11-Dec-13 07:19:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AskAQuestion Tue 10-Dec-13 23:34:07

1. Home alone
2. Love Actually
3. Santa Claus, The Movie
2. Sleepless in Seattle

I do like Christmas With the Kranks too

soundevenfruity Tue 10-Dec-13 22:05:34

1. Love Actually
2. Home alone

TallulahBetty Tue 10-Dec-13 21:29:53

I love the Polar Express, but my all-time fave must be Home Alone.

Special mention also to Home Alone 2.

WeAllHaveWings Tue 10-Dec-13 21:17:27

Definitely Home Alone - first film that had ds (must have been around 4) doubled over, couldn't talk, pointing at the screen and crying with laughter.

Watched every year since and still love it.

Meglet Tue 10-Dec-13 20:53:25

Muppets CC.

Closely followed by The Snowman and Home Alone. My DSIS bought me Elf for Xmas when DS was born (7yrs ago) and I still haven't had chance to watch it.

DisappointedHorse Tue 10-Dec-13 20:31:07

It's a Wonderful Life - I have to watch it every Christmas Eve. We usually watch Polar Express with the kids earlier.

I also love Bad Santa.

I've never seen Elf, I take it it's worth a watch then!

Ilovetoread Tue 10-Dec-13 17:47:32

Got to be:
Nativity #1
Nativity #2
A Christmas Carol (2009 Jim Carrey version)

Just love them, watch them every year, though Nativity 2 a new addition to the viewing! fgrin

maishoffwcingras Tue 10-Dec-13 17:33:28

Elf definitely. I try to only watch it at Christmas as a special treat but I quite often give in.

iseenodust Tue 10-Dec-13 14:58:00

Rudolph and the island of misfit toys - came free with a newspaper but we watch it many, many times each Dec. so it's about lovely times with DS rather than one from my childhood.

eggsandwich Tue 10-Dec-13 14:44:52

The Bishops Wife with Cary Grant as the angel
preps landing
polar express
Its a wonderful life
The man who came to dinner starring Bette Davis
White Christmas

shirleycat1 Tue 10-Dec-13 13:50:12

Bad Santa is fucking ace!

Madmammy83 Tue 10-Dec-13 13:16:08

Elf
Bad Santa
Christmas With the Kranks
Love Actually
The Santa Clause

I HATE It's a Wonderful Life.

ProfessorDent Tue 10-Dec-13 12:53:53

I never got the hang of It's a Wonderful Life, I mean he spends most of his time being thwarted and having a rotten time. Finally an angel shows him how it could have been worse - but most losers will figure, well, that wouldn't be the case with me, I haven't changed anything for the better. So what gives.

Being a bloke I will offer On Her Majesty's Secret Service, but I wish Conney had done it.

Other films like Wizard of Oz and Casablanca have a Christmassy feel though are not very seasonal admittedly.

TeaforRoo Tue 10-Dec-13 07:25:55

For me it's Love Actually as I saw it twice on it's release very heavily pregnant with DD. I cried through out and still cry especially at the opening sequence in the airport.

To watch with the family it's Miracle on 34th Street the newer version. Gets me and the afore mentioned DD every time. I believe!!!

SparklyMonkeyMummy Tue 10-Dec-13 06:17:05

Elf is definetly number one!

The Grinch
Father Christmas
The Hogfather
Bad Santa
Scrooge (1970s version)

mathanxiety Tue 10-Dec-13 05:58:30

Christmas Story
Home Alone (all)
National Lampoon Christmas Vacation
Charlie Brown Christmas
Elf

The Dead (set at Epiphany) is for me a very moving Christmas movie. Kind of the tail end of Christmas.

Susan643 Tue 10-Dec-13 04:19:29

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MiauMau Tue 10-Dec-13 00:38:15

Nightmare Before Christmas, is the winner for me hands down smile

toasterator Tue 10-Dec-13 00:12:06

Nativity
Polar Express
the Grinch smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now