Oh bugger. Have bought dd1 virtually nothing. Help.

(37 Posts)

All I've got her is 3 pairs of knickers and some perfume.
She's 18, at uni. Want actual real things that can be wrapped up, rather than vouchers or hard cash.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllpppppppppppppp! smile

EvilRingahBitch Mon 09-Dec-13 19:58:31

You could wrap her up a home-made "voucher" for a trip to the Jan sales in a box with tissue paper. I often do that for things like theatre trips where I want something to hand over.

Thanks.

The problem is, we got her loads of stuff in the summer prior to her starting uni - duvet covers,throws, cushions, stationery, travel mug, headphones etc etc.

Thanks for the eyeliner recs. Still pondering the rest!

mumslife Sun 08-Dec-13 22:30:14

Woolly backs wife i have the twitch now as well!
Really just got vouchers to get my daughter now and a bucks fizz set she will think that very grown up just seventeen lol

mumslife Sun 08-Dec-13 22:27:17

I have a 17 year old dd
Nice stationary
Diary with lock and key
Marks bucks fizzand choccie set
Pandora bracelet charm etc
ShaMballa bracelet amazon were doing some cheaper ones
i know you said no vouchers but my daughter loves amazon vouchers for her cosplay and kindle etc
Cosy throw for her bead
fluffy cushion for her bed
Lined and plain paper by the bucketload lol
Ted baker toilitries
Def things like woolly sock scarf gloves etc
Fleecy pjs
Boot slippers
Thick dressing gown
Onesie
Pakets of hairclips make up wipes and nail wipes for stocking pressies
Def cinema viuchers
Travelmug daughter uses hers loads
I tunes voucher
Posh expensive headphones
Google play voucher if she has a tablet
Light up make up mirror
Mini travel packs of tissues hand wipes hand jel for stocking also bun ring
also sparkly fancy party type hair bits nail varnish body glitter etc also ladyshave razors for stocking

Hope this helps

MilkOneSugar Sun 08-Dec-13 22:04:00

www.superdrug.com/rimmel-london/rimmel-exaggerate-liquid-eyeliner-black-1/invt/554717

This is the liquid liner I use and I swear by it. Been using it for years as the wand is really easy to use.

Awakeagain Sun 08-Dec-13 22:00:04

I have just ordered my cousin a plastic fish bowl from drink stuff! She is 19 and at uni
I have ordered some boy cousins beer pong
They had some good drink mixes on their that i think I would have appreciated when younger
Mac make up probably have a good eyeliner Nd some other bits to go with!!

Thanks.

She's just emailed and said she'd like a liquid eyeliner! Any recs, please?

DD1 (2nd year student) has:

Lace party dress and matching shoes
Tan cross body bag
Chunky cardigan
Cinema voucher
Brownie maker
Bottle of fave booze
I'm still to buy a blouse she likes the look of and some new slippers plus bits and bobs of make up, some undies, iTunes voucher socks and chocs in her stocking.

I think i have THE TWITCH now too

Thank you.

She had a hairdryer and straighteners last Christmas. Doesn't wear a watch.

Will prob buy her something to wear in the sales, but still need something to wrap up on Christmas day!

HRHwheezing Sun 08-Dec-13 19:28:54

Babyliss big hair
iTunes card

Booze

Top shop card
Primark vouchers

TheAwfulDaughter Sun 08-Dec-13 19:28:33
TheAwfulDaughter Sun 08-Dec-13 19:25:45

Ah I see ponders

I know you want something to wrap up, but a tradition in my family is (well, when it comes to clothes) you pick something out before and it's wrapped up. You have to try and pull your best surprised face grin Maybe a little DM-DD trip for a new Christmas outfit? Or is that horribly dull.

One last thing though- if she is a Topshop girl and likes vintage inspired kooky stuff- Casio do great inexpensive watches in gold and silver with retro faces. Will try and look for some links smile

Thanks, both. She wouldn't be interested in a board game, I don't think.

Style-wise, she is v much not a trainers girl tbh. Topshop is her favourite shop and we bought her a nice bag when she got her A level results. Can't afford a Cambridge satchel, even if she wanted one!

TheAwfulDaughter Sun 08-Dec-13 19:14:55

What is her style like OP? I am a similar age and have a pair of black Nike blazers on my wish list. I never wore trainers before uni, but now I am running all over campus I really appreciate a nice hard wearing trainer instead of ballerinas and converses. Bought a red pair with birthday money- I like wearing them out clubbing and pretending I'm Rita Ora too fblush

I have a Cambridge satchel too, which are quite popular now but still admired. Would make a lovely big present and see her a good few years if you bought a classic tan or black.

YY to posh make up. Perhaps a nice purse? ASOS has 20% off at the moment where you can get a nice DKNY or other naice branded one?

Hairdresser voucher is a good idea too. I saved up to get mine coloured and cut properly for the first time since I moved away from home and I am SO excited.

NorthernLebkuchen Sun 08-Dec-13 18:59:58

What about board games? My dd1 is approaching 16 and she loves things like Risk and Ticket to Ride.

Thank you.

We got her the duvet, fairy lights etc when she started. And a brolly.

LovelyWeatherForDucks Sun 08-Dec-13 18:43:59

Something to make her uni room more homely? New duvet cover or throw or cushion? Or pretty fairy lights or something? Memo board for uni stuff?

Leather satchels are pretty popular and classic? A decent umbrella?

Box of herbs/spices/seasoning/condiments/sauces to make usual uni meals more exciting?

Not sure. She's not a big cinema-goer tbh.

Heathcliff27 Sun 08-Dec-13 14:42:25

Does she has a cineworld near her uni? When my son started uni I got him an unlimited cineworld card, £15.90 per month.

smile

Can't really do groceries, as she'll have to get everything back on the train.

LeBearPolar Sun 08-Dec-13 14:24:47

Yes, as a student I would have loved practical-but-nice things to make student life a bit more luxurious. A groceries hamper and a toiletries hamper would be lovely, I would think!

<plans same for when currently 10 yr old DS is at uni grin>

Wow. Thank you. smile Oh I have got her a Starbucks voucher too - always do.

Usually do hairspray, cotton wool etc as stocking presents but like the idea of boxing it all up to make a 'big' gift. Will deffo do that.

Bought her new PJs and dressing gown when we saw her a few weeks ago, but will deffo get warm socks and hot chocolate.

Scarf is another v good idea.

Fresh01 Sun 08-Dec-13 13:54:54

For something bigger a warm coat or boots?

Like someone mentioned above everyday toiletries even toothbrush, toothpaste, sanitary products, shampoo, shower gel in a nice storage box. My mum did this a couple of times a year when we were at uni as that kind of stuff you need but adds up out of a student budget. We always really appreciated it.

Easy cookbook?

EvilRingahBitch Sun 08-Dec-13 13:49:31

Cinema membership?

angelwhip80 Sun 08-Dec-13 13:37:41

If she has laptop/tablet, a netflix subscription? X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now