What to do? Christmas tree stand leaking.

(23 Posts)
knickernicker Sun 08-Dec-13 11:26:14

How long will my tree last before going brown? Or must I get another stand. So annoyed as I only bought the stand yesterday. It's a metal one from b and q.

Take it back and exchange it?

galletti Sun 08-Dec-13 11:36:49

I second taking it back. Not fit for purpose!

knickernicker Sun 08-Dec-13 11:38:32

That will involve 2 trips to b and q; onto buy nee one AMD one to exchange old one. All devs need to come off tree. Needs to be pinched put of old stand. So annoyed. Plus dp had no Christmas spirit. He will want to just leave it. So how long toll it goes brown?

knickernicker Sun 08-Dec-13 11:39:04

Apologies for so many typos.

Surely you can return old one and buy new one at the same time?

Take the decorations off the tree and lay it on a tarp or against the side of your house, or in the bath until you've got the new stand.

hulahoopsilove Sun 08-Dec-13 11:44:01

Ours did this last year it won't go brown it will just dry out and won't look as fresh our needles also spilled off like anything when we were ready to take it down.

I havent got a new stand this year also gettin.g tree today so going to try and test it out and maybe put a thin plate or something under the stand to capture the water also not going to water everyday

Can you see where it's leaking from? If it's a small leak you could sit it on a waterproof cover and keep topping it up to extend the life of the tree

knickernicker Sun 08-Dec-13 11:46:00

Other idea is to put plastic bag under it to catch water but p thinks this will be pointless as tree not taking up water. Can it take up water,whilst also leaking?

If the leak is slow then surely the tree will get some of the water

I gather your dp is a bit bah humbug then?

knickernicker Sun 08-Dec-13 11:57:01

Bah humbug is an understatement.

knickernicker Sun 08-Dec-13 12:08:40

Bah humbug is an understatement.

ginmakesitallok Sun 08-Dec-13 12:12:27

Could you put a plastic bag inside it to stop t the water coming out?

cravingcake Sun 08-Dec-13 12:14:48

Can the tree be lifted up, a plastic bag (without any holes) be put into the stand and around the trunk so a bit of water can be put in and the bag will stop any leaks. No need to remove decorations, other than maybe the star/angel at the top.

I personally would take it back and swap for one that doesnt leak tho.

ElaClaw Sun 08-Dec-13 12:15:17

Are you supposed to put water in the stand? I never have...

knickernicker Sun 08-Dec-13 12:18:29

Elaclaw. Will my tree be brown on Christmas day?

yellowsun Sun 08-Dec-13 12:31:53

Our leaked so we used gaffa tape on it. It's fine now!

lizzywig Sun 08-Dec-13 12:32:36

This happened to my parents last year. They put the lot directly into a large garden tray. Tree was fine and needles didn't drop.

lizzywig Sun 08-Dec-13 12:33:51

Should add that i guess it depends on type of stand.

How much was the stand?
Does the cost of travel there and back, and the annoyance factor involved in taking the tree down outweigh the cost of just keeping it?

As an emergency, use Duct Tape and foil to deal it.
Or plug the hole with BluTac and wrap the whole thing in clingfilm
Put something underneath to catch the leak (flat baking tray) with a binbag under that?

Tree Skirt to hide the multitude of sins.

ElaClaw Sun 08-Dec-13 18:50:52

I'm not sure now you mention it, we usually get our tree a bit later. Also it depends on which type of tree you have - Scots Pine last for ages.

I never water the tree, and it always lasts till the new year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now